• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's that most wonderful time of the year again. Time to write like our faces are on fire, as some AWer's avatar used to say.

So what do you think? Are you in this year? Not sure? No way?

ETA: Oh, you say you don't even know what this crazy Nanoo word is? NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, in which we are challenged to write 50K of a novel in the 30 days of November, which boils down to 1667 words a day.

Website is here: http://nanowrimo.org

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I just got cast in A CHRISTMAS CAROL, which is playing the first two weekends of December...NaNo and daily rehearsals. That's gonna be fun, rofl.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
write 50K of a novel in the 30 months of November

And there's your focus right out of the box... a wormhole in space links thirty Novembers of your life so you can watch yourself age but only at Thanksgiving... ;)

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering taking part this year... I've never done it, and would enjoy the experience, but I've been feeling massively burned out lately. Over the next 2-3 days, I'll be finishing up the proofreading of my WIP to send to betas, and then I really want to take a break from serious, focused writing. Hammering this manuscript into something cohesive has drained a lot out of me. I'm at the point where I'd be fine dropping to 500 words of writing a day or less for a while and just spend that time screwing with disconnected story ideas I've built up over the years.

There is a story idea that has been nagging at me for weeks though. It's just a kernel, but I might spend the rest of October toying with it and fleshing it out and perhaps I'll be recharged enough to write the bulk of it by the time Nano comes around.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like an interesting way to challenge yourself, is this a US thing or can it be InNaNoWriMo? Is it an AW thing or external?

I wanted to try and put 20k on my current WIP in October - the last 20k of the first draft - which may preclude it but I also like the idea of putting that aside and thrashing out some other ideas and this sounds like a terrific work out for the little grey cell; a month in the mind gym.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like an interesting way to challenge yourself, is this a US thing or can it be InNaNoWriMo? Is it an AW thing or external?

I wanted to try and put 20k on my current WIP in October - the last 20k of the first draft - which may preclude it but I also like the idea of putting that aside and thrashing out some other ideas and this sounds like a terrific work out for the little grey cell; a month in the mind gym.

It's everywhere, Bacchus! It's international, the name is just a name. I live in Japan and I'm going to take part.

I love NaNo. Best time of the year.

Lara Gallin

Reluctantly eats bananas
Registered
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards in, I'm just terrified of not being able to repeat my previous success. If I don't, the absence of the coveted purple bar would be a year long reminder that I didn't make it :(

It's open to anyone anywhere :D Sage has added the link to the website to his opening post, all you have to do is sign up!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm out this year. My next project is a new Christmas musical which starts rehearsals, coincidentally, on November 1. Even if I had a project ready to go, I doubt I'd be able to finish it. But I'll be cheering other NaNoers on from the sidelines!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
NaNoWriMo is definitely international, Bacchus. I don't know where you live, but here's a link to all the regions where you can find local events: http://nanowrimo.org/regions

I'm currently signed up for 3 regions because my city has two and I'll be visiting my old NaNo home for the first week, so I check in with them too. This actually may be fewer than previous years when I had my old home, my new home (I was visiting for family reasons), and places I'd be traveling to for work.

My next project is a new Christmas musical

I was like, "Me too!" and then I realized that you did not mean what I mean.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
That's great, thank you @Sage [edit]London would be for me[/edit]

I am loving the idea of this. I am terrified by the idea of this. I can "easily" manage 2500 words on a good day, but to have at least twenty good days in a month...?

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
NANO NANO NANO NANO

BATMAAAAAN

:greenie

Bacchus, I know it sounds super-intimidating, and it is, but it's also a ton of fun because there are just SOO many other people doing it with you. Just knowing there are thousands of other people writing with you, having a diagram showing your progress, awards for success, shoulders to lean on for failure... it's completely different from just writing on your own, and it's wonderful.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In a nutshell, they kept the name National Novel Writing Month because as a program of a registered charity in the US (Office of Letters and Light, dedicated to promoting literacy), it's less complicated and less expensive to change the name.

And I'm in, again. I've done it every year since 2004 (losing time because I spent four days in the hospital in 2012 but I'd built up a word count overage before I was incapacitated). Both novels in my sig field were borne of NaNo projects, in fact.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it. There's no house hunts, no shiny new game releases, no family obligation explosions (that I know of), and spouse-face will be busy wrapping up their capstone project for their data-science statistician degree. I'm completely distraction free for the first time in years ...

But the metaphorical well is dry. All ideas are the opposite of shiny.:flag:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to have to pass on NaNoWriMo for certain this year.

However, I am game for NaNoWriFoWe, because Final Fantasy XV comes out on the 29th. :greenie

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I want to live in your world.

It's one of the few perks of being console only. ;) And, after 10 years, I find I can wait a few additional weeks/months for versus xiii ffxv.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But the metaphorical well is dry. All ideas are the opposite of shiny.:flag:

Have you checked out the adoption section of the NaNo website? There are several adopt-a-plot threads, and I found an idea I loved within a few posts of the first thread I looked at. Not using it because I already have a novel, but still shiny

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked out the adoption section of the NaNo website?

I haunt it regularly. Nothing so far has struck me. (We need a chin stroking smilie. It'd go here.) I know I want epic fantasy - something non-traditional that smashes the tropes. That's about as far as I get before I get jello brain.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I haunt it regularly. Nothing so far has struck me. (We need a chin stroking smilie. It'd go here.) I know I want epic fantasy - something non-traditional that smashes the tropes. That's about as far as I get before I get jello brain.

For me, NaNo has been perfect for jello brain. This year, for example, I have a couple of scenes in mind, but no real direction. So yay, I get to write whatever I want, without worrying about where it's going to go! I can have fun without pressure if I know in advance I'm just rummaging around my own head, rather than hoping for something semi-finished.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. No idea what I'm writing, but I'm in.

Dishonored II comes out on Nov 11 >>

Status
Not open for further replies.