Avoiding the 'may have' in historical biography

Aunt Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a biography of a World War One pilot who's very little known - and as a result it's turning just as much into a narrative and explorative history of Britain's Royal Flying Corps because there are so few original sources and ego documents that mention him specifically.

My problem is this: say I've described an event that it's inconcievable he wouldn't have been close to, known of or talked about with his mates. Without a definitive source, how do I handle this?

Writing "this may have been a cause for sobering conversations in the officer's mess that night" just seems a bit wishy washy. Do I just mention the incident and how close my subject was to it and let the reader make that connection? Or do I, in the interests of historical rigour, omit it completely?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Aunt Lil

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert on historical biography, but what I'd try for is a restatement of why you think he'd have been in on those conversations in the officers' mess that night, i.e., Because Smitty bunked with both the surviving pilots and those who did not return from the mission, and because the condition which kept him grounded did not confine him to the medical tent, one presumes he participated in sobering conversations in the officers' mess that night. (Of course I made up that content.)

Like any reader, I would quickly tire of might have, could have, probably did, and similar phrases without backing them up.

Maryn, who may not be all that helpful

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Is it essential that this be nonfiction? Because it sounds to me like the ideal candidate for a biographical novel. That way you can play through the scenario as you envision it probably happened. Then you put an author's note at the end with your sources and how you've used the material.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think one way to firm it up may be to phrase the comment more generally. Like: The customary gathering in the officers mess than night would have been a somber affair.

Aunt Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. I'm going to a bit of pencil-chewing and rumination now!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn slips red licorice into the pencil holder.]

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who may have noticed that Maryn is packed for vacation on dates which may have coincided with Chase's vacation dates in Reno--a town which may have been famous for quicky divorces and re-hitching--you may have the wrong idea.

https://www.nevadadivorce.us/quickie_divorce.html

Half off if the groom dresses like Priscilla :e2file:and the bride like Elvis :e2crown:.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have you know I can still get into my (first!) wedding dress--made easier by the fact that it's a hippie dress.

And what happened to your promise we'd keep this quiet?

Maryn, grinning

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what happened to your promise we'd keep this quiet?

Hmmm. I may have written it instead of signing it in ASL. I get confused. :greenie

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My problem is this: say I've described an event that it's inconcievable he wouldn't have been close to, known of or talked about with his mates. Without a definitive source, how do I handle this?

Why do you believe this "event" is inconceivable? Even without an attributable source, do you have some of your own logic, based on known facts, why this might be so? If you do, that's what I'd recommend describing.

caw

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'd face it straight up - "It's inconceivable that Smitty wouldn't have discussed these events with his mates."