Should US pay reparations for slavery? U.N. appointed experts think so.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
A United Nations working group is getting into the fray on U.S. racial discrimination. After 14 years, and 20 days of speaking with U.S. officials, activists, and families of people killed by police in major American cities, it has issued its conclusions: the slave trade was a crime against humanity and the U.S. government should pay reparations.

Although it's doubtful it'll happen, I'm wondering how this would work. Is the federal government liable or should it be up to states that allowed slavery? Should the deaths of federal soldiers during the civil war be held in account? Not all southerners owned slaves, so why should their descendants be held accountable?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...parations-african-americans-article-1.2810039

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Although it's doubtful it'll happen, I'm wondering how this would work. Is the federal government liable or should it be up to states that allowed slavery? Should the deaths of federal soldiers during the civil war be held in account? Not all southerners owned slaves, so why should their descendants be held accountable?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...parations-african-americans-article-1.2810039

Slavery was the official policy of the USA until the passage of the 13th amendment. As a result the US as an entity is deemed responsible. We collectively live under and individually reap the benefits of the US Constitution. We also therefore collectively live under and should bear the costs of the wrongs of that document and the slaveholding government it created.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Slavery was the official policy of the USA until the passage of the 13th amendment. As a result the US as an entity is deemed responsible. We collectively live under and individually reap the benefits of the US Constitution. We also therefore collectively live under and should bear the costs of the wrongs of that document and the slaveholding government it created.

Totally and vehemently disagree.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This is an interesting question, one that's certainly not limited to slave ownership or the US. Historically, many countries whose governments still exist in more or less the same form today once had policies that caused great suffering that continues to resonate today. The roots of slavery in the US extend before the birth of our own country, so how much blame does Britain bear, even if they abandoned the institution before we did? Lingering harm done by the colonialism practiced by European powers also comes to mind, and of course the treatment of Native Americans by our own government etc. What about wars where a given country stole territory from its original owners on pretty flimsy pretenses?

If the descendants of the people responsible for these past wrongs still bear some responsibility, how much and what form should it take? And how much money would be needed to right the wrongs that still linger, and how should this money be used? Direct payments to the descendants of the wronged, or should it be used for targeted programs meant to rectify lingering economic inequality, racism and so on?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If we owe reparations for slavery, we probably owe them for the genocide of Native Americans, too.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
And for the mistreatment of various groups of immigrants. And for the institutionalized sexism that made women second class citizens. And for all of the soldiers killed in wars fought unnecessarily.

I'm sure we could keep adding to this.

Regardless, who is getting the payments? The descendants of slaves? Will proof be necessary, because that strikes me as pretty unfair.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score

I agree. I feel about this the same way I feel about tax money being used to settle lawsuits against the criminaljustice system and police. The government as an entity has a responsibility to right its wrongs, and we have a responsibility for our country's actions.

I'm pretty sure that my family never owned slaves, because most of them came here from Europe during WWI. But I fully support my tax money going toward reparations, especially since I still benefit, indirectly, from racism.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
I am Caucasion, yet also Native American, My family never had slaves (as we were poor white trash). I feel that racism is a double edged sword. Everyone feels it...if they choose to, yet everyone can overcome it. There are some wonderfully educated and mainstream persons of African descent. I feel that some of our youth have been programmed to believe certain things while completely overlooking the fact that there are so many avenues now open to negate those horrible issues.
I lived in the deep south for many years when I was young. The black people treated my family better than our white peers. I feel an affinity to anyone who gives me a chance. I blame noone today for the way my Indian forebears were treated. Why should the past separate us now???

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

I strongly agree.

I agree. I feel about this the same way I feel about tax money being used to settle lawsuits against the criminal justice system and police. The government as an entity has a responsibility to right its wrongs, and we have a responsibility for our country's actions.

I'm pretty sure that my family never owned slaves, because most of them came here from Europe during WWI. But I fully support my tax money going toward reparations, especially since I still benefit, indirectly, from racism.

My family never owned slaves either. From Lucretia Mott to William Darrah Kelley, my ancestors were ferocious abolitionists, some of whom boycotted all slave-produced goods and foods.

And yet, as a modern American I reap the substantial historical benefits my country derived from the lives and sweat of African slaves.

From the economic wealth created by slaveowning farmers and businessmen to prosperous towns and railroads built and serviced by slaves to the very fabric of the White House itself, built by slave hands, vast swathes of this country's assets -- which we all still benefit from -- were created by slave labor.

My country still bears responsibility for that.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You're dressing up as Trump for Halloween, aren't you?

ooh, I might have to do that. I'm spending Halloween with my Trump-voting brother and his family (yes, I love my nieces and nephews very much), so it will be perfect. Let's see -- I just need me a tangerine-tinged spray tan, a yuuge pair of prosthetic hands, and something to approximate his hairdo. Anyone have any thoughts on what I might use for that last one?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I saw President Obama discussing the Saudi veto issue tonight, which is similar to the subject here in regards to sovereign immunity.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This idea is a practical absurdity, and won't happen, and at this juncture in history, a century-and-a-half beyond the abolition of slavery, and a half-century now beyond things like the Voting Rights act, it's really a moot point.

If the UN demands that the U.S. now pay reparations for 150-year-old policies, they should also demand that the British do likewise for their occupation and exploitation of India and other places, that the French do likewise for their occupation and exploitation of Algeria and Indochina and other places, that the Dutch do likewise for their occupation and exploitation of what is now Indonesia, that the Belgians do likewise for their occupation and exploitation of the Congo, that the Russians do likewise for Stalin's empire of gulags, etc., that the Chinese do likewise for their occupation of Tibet, . . . and then there's North Korea . . . except the last one probably doesn't have the means to pay reparations to anybody. Many of these things also involved de facto slavery.

What we can do, and should do, is stop police from killing unarmed and unresisting civilians, who, it seems, just happen mainly to be black.

Oh, and it would help, at least symbolically, if sympathizers with the romance and blissful wonder of the antebellum South in the U.S. would stop using the Confederate Battle Flag as a badge of honor.

caw

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
My family did not arrive in the US until after the Civil War, thus after slavery was outlawed. Why should I have to pay?

Should blacks who arrived in this country after slavery ended be paid reparations?

If reparations are going to be required, how do we extract reparations from the Native American tribes that allowed slave ownership? Some tribes owned black slaves. Others owned Native American slaves. How would that work?

Without question, slavery was and is a horrific institution. But trying to set up any sort of cash payments would I think cause much more harm than good. I can't imagine what the process would look like to authorize a particular family. Paying reparations would also I think set back race relations by decades.

If I can say this without sounding patronizing, I think it's better to channel the funds that would have been spent there to programs designed to help alleviate the problems caused by slavery.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Paying reparations is silly, impractical, and would be hugely divisive. Whether its right or wrong, people would seriously struggle accepting the idea of paying money to people when they didn't actually do anything wrong, and the people receiving the money weren't around for the policies anyway.

All it would do is fuel racial division, and it wouldn't solve anything. It's a ridiculous idea.

What they could do (stay with me, crazy idea I know), is actually put some decent thought and policy into ensuring minorities aren't kicked around in all the ridiculous ways they still are. Make some attempt at fixing the modern problems instead of awarding people money for something (something terrible, and I'm not denying it left a hideous scar) that happened over a century ago.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read all of the posts here because it's late. I'll catch up tomorrow.

I want to go on record, though, as saying that calling the idea of reparations absurd, ridiculous, silly, and so on is rude at best. We don't need to label ideas in ways that demean them just because.

A reason for reparations is that racism is institutionalized in our society. You have to think about that. Really try to put yourself in Black Americans' shoes.

I'll say more on this tomorrow. It's a worthwhile and important discussion, and I hope we can elevate it from where it currently is.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
In a word, no. Collective guilt? Srsly? You're responsible for the sins of not only your father, but people who are long dead and were of no relation to you at all? Bulloney.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think reparation is feasible for many reasons.

Who would be paid? Why should tax dollars of people who had no involvement with slavery be used for that, especially when their families weren't even in this country at the time. How will the government separate the tax dollars of African Americans from the tax dollars being used for reparation?

What about reparations for Native Americans? What about reparations for women who were forced to live under laws made by men, who were voted into office only by men, until women were granted the right to vote?

And do not get me started on the U.N. itself. One of the single most corrupt organizations in the world today. Fuck them and their declarations.