Cops Can't Find Their Guns

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The OC Register reports that in a survey of 134 LE agencies, some 329 firearms have turned up missing over the last five years.

But the number of guns known to be missing or stolen is almost certainly a fraction of the actual number that have made the jump from police agency to street. Not every department audits its weaponry. If agencies performed such audits, they’d find they were missing more guns.

That was the case at one of the biggest police agencies in the country.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, following a request by the Register, assembled a team of nearly two dozen employees to track through thousands of files on gun location and gun assignments. The research found that at least 103 L.A. County Sheriff’s Department guns, ranging from service handguns to shotguns, were lost or stolen over the past five years.

A spokesperson said the agency didn’t previously know how many guns were missing, and hadn’t recently conducted a centralized count of its service handguns. The missing weapons are a tiny portion of the department’s 20,000-gun arsenal.

This one kind of blows my mind, and kind of doesn't. The Feds are notorious for this, so I don't know why I'd expect law enforcement at the local level to be any better. What disgusts me is that charges are so rarely filed in these cases, because California gun storage laws are different for cops than they are for civilians. How is that right? Shouldn't we be holding LE agencies to a higher standard?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I suspect that civilians are losing their weapons at the same or greater rate -- but they aren't required to report it.

Well, no one is right now. But I suspect, given precedent, that even if we somehow required citizens to report some crimes (but not others), cops would be exempt, so what could would it do?