MISSING BOOK REVIEWS ON AMAZON

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that reviews of their book on Amazon are now missing? A beta reader I work with just told me he discovered more than 2,000 of his reviews were recently taken down by Amazon. Apparently, the company has decided to retroactively enforce a new policy. They will now only allow book reviews based on a 'verified purchase'. I've sent Amazon an email requesting an explanation but don't really expect to get one.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This has happened to an anthology I'm aware of, too.

I have to say, as a book buyer, I'm tired of wading through all the positive reviews I suspect are "bought." I don't know how Amazon can most effectively enforce this, as some reviews might have been of books from library loans, or borrowed from friends, or bought at the church fundraiser. On the other hand, when, as I saw recently, a book that isn't even out has 100 reviews, call me skeptical.

It's what happens when people game the system. Everyone gets swept up in the crackdown, the honest and the crooked.

iwannabepublished

Banned
Reaction score
You right, ElaineA, about the potential for paid reviews. But I believe they make up a small part of all reviews. Another author I know does seek out people to read and review his work prior to release but, as you point out, 100 is kind of hard to believe. It's the completely arbitrary removal that bothers me. That being said, I can see the conundrum Amazon is in. I still feel that they should keep out of the way of people reviewing books. As you say, there are lots of ways people get books (e book or hardcover) besides a direct purchase on Amazon - that should never preclude them from writing a review. What is Amazon going to do, bring some sort of action against The Kindle Book Review website and all the others that bring writers and reviewers together?

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's a good way to drive more book sales through Amazon, though, isn't it. Never underestimate Jeff Bezos's desire for book-selling omnipotence.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This has happened to an anthology I'm aware of, too.

I have to say, as a book buyer, I'm tired of wading through all the positive reviews I suspect are "bought." I don't know how Amazon can most effectively enforce this, as some reviews might have been of books from library loans, or borrowed from friends, or bought at the church fundraiser. On the other hand, when, as I saw recently, a book that isn't even out has 100 reviews, call me skeptical.

It's what happens when people game the system. Everyone gets swept up in the crackdown, the honest and the crooked.

It is actually possible to legitimately have reviews before a book is out. There's a discussion about this on kboards.

On the subject of the policy change, Amazon announced this week that they would only allow reviews by people who have spent at least $50 on amazon (and it's per-location, i.e. $25 on amazon.co.uk + $25 on amazon.ca doesn't cut it). I saw a pretty instant effect. My novel came out on Tuesday the 20th. I got 4 quick reviews on amazon and a bunch on audible. Then the new policy came into effect and my amazon reviews fell off a cliff. I'm maintaining my place in amazon rankings, so sales continue to happen; I'm getting comments and sign-ups on my blog; and I continue to get audible reviews and ratings. But amazon? crickets.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I know it's possible to have reviews before a book is out. It's a numbers thing. And legit "review" copies almost always have a disclaimer. In the case I'm talking about, around 10% of the reviews had the disclaimer. The rest were just rave reviews. All 4-5 star. And that was a book I went searching for because I wanted to support a male romance writer. Seeing that, I changed my mind.

As a reader, I really don't pay attention to the rankings either. I gather that's an important concern for "book sellers" (which, SPers are, naturally), but as a reader, my order of investigation (meaning where my eyes go on the book page) is blurb>publisher>reviews>cover>price.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I really don't pay attention to the rankings either. I gather that's an important concern for "book sellers" (which, SPers are, naturally), but as a reader, my order of investigation (meaning where my eyes go on the book page) is blurb>publisher>reviews>cover>price.

I've just discovered one of the downsides of trad-publishing. As a trad-published author, I don't have access to the amazon account that would show my sales and KENP. So I can't obsessively check my sales every 30 seconds. Granted, that may be a mercy. :tongue But the rankings give me a ball-park feel for daily sales, using stuff like this calculator. They also indicate whether sales are dropping off or holding steady.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Getting a free copy is not a problem. The only recent change Amazon is a minimum $50 total spend on the account for a customer's reviews to show. Tough on low spenders but one way to knock out a lot of fake accounts used only for paid reviewing and review spam.

iwannabepublished

Banned
Reaction score
Can we assume the $50 is for any products? Or, must they be books only? Can we also assume this is $50 per year?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can we assume the $50 is for any products? Or, must they be books only? Can we also assume this is $50 per year?

My understanding is that it's $50 total, anything on the account. It's like the 50 post rule here. Just establishes that you're going to hang around. I wonder if it applies to the Kindle Unlimited (?) subscription. After 4-5 months you'd have paid the $50 and be able to review borrows.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what would make the most sense would be $50 or verified purchase.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
A beta reader I work with just told me he discovered more than 2,000 of his reviews were recently taken down by Amazon.
Two thousand? Over what time period?

Seems to me that filtering reviews based on too many too quickly would be equally effective against reviewers that get paid to review.

Super_Duper

Jedi Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ninjamindcontrol.wordpress.com
Two thousand? Over what time period?

Seems to me that filtering reviews based on too many too quickly would be equally effective against reviewers that get paid to review.

That was my first though, but then again, who the heck can afford to pay 2,000 reviewers to review a book! Even if you only paid them each a dollar!

MysteryX

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.spiritualselftransformation.com
Good to know. Thus I should expect that several clients, especially international clients, won't be able to leave reviews.

When the policy got enforced, some reviews got deleted, but now that it's established, such deletion shouldn't happen again, correct?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. Thus I should expect that several clients, especially international clients, won't be able to leave reviews.

When the policy got enforced, some reviews got deleted, but now that it's established, such deletion shouldn't happen again, correct?

No, that's not correct at all.

If Amazon suspects anyone is using paid reviewers they'll go on another deletion spree. If Amazon suspects anyone is gaming the system in any way, they'll do what they feel necessary to stop them in their tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.