Undercover FBI agents and Local LEOs?

finallyclean

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm new here and I'm currently working on my first story. The plot is about two FBI agents working undercover in a drug and human trafficking ring, with the male agent being tangled up in a homicide and rape case that is investigated by local law enforcement (most likely the NYPD but this might change). Not being from the US, and having no experience in this kind of genre, I have a few questions:
1) Would the NYPD have foreknowledge of the FBI's op? (Specifically, would the homicide division be aware that there were FBI agents in their city?)
2) When DNA is run through a database, would a match come back as the agent's real name or his alias?
3) If the cops didn't know that he was a federal agent, how long could he realistically go before coming clean about his identity? (Ie. Would it come out in interrogation, or could he get away with it until he's formally charged? {Would this be different if his fellow agent is still undercover and possibly at risk if exposed?)
4) What is the procedure for an agent being hospitalised whilst undercover?

Sorry if this post is really long, but thank you in advance :)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hey finally clean, I can't answer for you, and sadly, you'll have to do some research. I do have a couple links though.

My gut says if he's being interrogated, he would use being an agent in his defense--he can't run an op from a jail cell.

Here ya go:

http://www.realpolice.net/forums/writers-questions-218/ (this is ask a cop--definitely check a few out to see what gets the best response b4 U ask)

And, BION, the FBI has a dept for assisting writers in creating realistic agents.

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/n...r/a-guide-for-writers-authors-and-producers-1

Good luck! And welcome!

:hi:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
So I'm new here and I'm currently working on my first story. The plot is about two FBI agents working undercover in a drug and human trafficking ring, with the male agent being tangled up in a homicide and rape case that is investigated by local law enforcement (most likely the NYPD but this might change). Not being from the US, and having no experience in this kind of genre, I have a few questions:
1) Would the NYPD have foreknowledge of the FBI's op? (Specifically, would the homicide division be aware that there were FBI agents in their city?)

Generally, there would be no warning to the locals, but there could be, if it was a joint investigation. I am surre that the NYPD knowns that there are FBI agents in their city all of the time.

2) When DNA is run through a database, would a match come back as the agent's real name or his alias?

It would come back however the sample on file was labelled.

3) If the cops didn't know that he was a federal agent, how long could he realistically go before coming clean about his identity? (Ie. Would it come out in interrogation, or could he get away with it until he's formally charged? {Would this be different if his fellow agent is still undercover and possibly at risk if exposed?)

It would depend on when it was convenient, but someone else should have a better answer.

4) What is the procedure for an agent being hospitalised whilst undercover?

Sorry if this post is really long, but thank you in advance :)

I have no idea about the last, and the answer may have changed since Obamacare.

There is no reason to apologize. This isn't a terribly long post, and the questions are direct ans interesting.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Some of what you're asking is considered classified; don't expect specifics.

UC operations are inherently dangerous; operational security is paramount. Long term, deep cover operatives have comprehensive background legends to shield/protect identities--and never break cover (absent a final prosecution, although even that's no guarantee). If another agency has a legitimate, acceptable, and sanctioned need-to-know there are strictly enforced protocols to assure secure compartmentalization of any shared information.

I realize this is a somewhat generic non-answer, but since you are writing fiction you can craft your plot as you deem fit (those who know better will not come forward to object). Decide what your story needs and pursue that line of thought. Best of luck!