When to euthanize an ailing dog? Heartbreaking decision

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry juniper. I know how hard this is. It's small comfort knowing that you did the right thing, but you did.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So - we took Teddy for his last car ride yesterday morning. The vet said she thought it was time, that he probably wasn't feeling well a lot of the time, plus he'd developed glaucoma in one eye. She said we could put him on pain meds but it would just be temporary fix.

We made the decision to let him go, and she injected a sleeping dose into him. She said it would probably sting and many dogs fret about it, but he just lay there, his head laying on my left arm. We stayed like that until the doctor was sure he was deeply asleep, then they took him away and put an IV into his leg and brought him back. We wanted to be with him as he passed. She put the euthanasia drug into the IV, and in just a minute or two he was gone.

We decided to have him cremated and returned to us, which will be about a week. We'll bury him in the memorial area in our backyard.

He was a wonderful dog, and very brave until the end. I'm keeping him as my avatar for awhile.

I know words won't help, so sending :Hug2:

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Juniper, I'm so sorry. I just saw this thread. We went through this with our other dog who had hemangiosarcoma. It's such a terrible time. I was surprised at how emotional I was.

Dogs are so good at hiding their suffering - it's a survival instinct - that I think we went way too long before putting him down. The vet who had missed his cancer at our initial visit where we just thought something was wrong but didn't know what, asked to do a necropsy after the euthanasia. After performing that, she said his lungs had more tumor than actual lung tissue and she didn't even know how he was able to function at that point. And he had still been going on short walks with my husband!

The lesson I learned was that dogs can't rationalize their suffering or understand what is happening. They're just suffering. And they don't know they're being euthanized, so they have no fear about dying. It's absolutely the compassionate thing to do. And I will do it sooner, next time I'm in this situation. You did the right thing and the most loving thing.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and for your own health.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you were very brave, juniper. Wishing you comfort.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP, Teddy. We have 5 of our cats buried in the back yard. We'll sometimes stop and talk to them when in that part of the yard.

:Hug2:, Juniper, you did the right thing.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Juniper, I know you're sad, and with good reason. But I expect that if you could check in with Teddy, he'd tell you you did the right thing. It never seems like the right thing at the time, but almost always it is.

Many gentle hugs for you. My friend.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm so sorry, Juniper. Our dogs bring us so much joy, and you honored Teddy in a lovely way, with him 'til the end. May you find peace and solace in the days and weeks ahead. I'll be thinking of Teddy like I do my first dog--romping over endlessly rolling grassy fields, ear flaps bouncing, tongue out, and a smile on his face. Peace to you and your family.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so very sorry for your loss, Juniper. I lost my dear Siamese cat nine days ago, after a year of watching her decline from a tumor. I know how painful that decision you made was, and that even knowing it was the right decision for your beloved Teddy, doesn't take away any of the pain that you feel now. Take care of yourself.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all of you. I know many people care deeply about their animal companions, as I do.

One thing that will bring me joy: Teddy had a wonderful distinctive bark, deeper than you would expect from a dog his size. A couple of years ago I recorded it as a voice memo on my iPhone and then made it into a ringtone and assigned that to just my husband. So whenever my husband calls me, I hear Teddy barking. :)