Reasons for not climbing Uluru

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
If I am recalling correctly, on my visit a few years back, there were actually organized tours going up on the rock, and ropes and things set up to climb -- situated right by signs mentioning that the traditional owners preferred you not to climb. (I opted not to climb, by the way.)

There are no such tours for St. Peter's Basilica, and many tend to treat a natural feature differently from a man-made construction.

Me, I don't feel the need to climb every object in sight, so if I know it will disturb someone if I do, I am glad to refrain. There are plenty of other things to climb.

IMO, Uluru is best appreciated from the ground anyway.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Why do people do this, despite all the warnings? Is it because they don't realize how bad it can be? Is it a part of some Tough Hiker act? What?
Anyone who plans to summit Everest knows there are bodies that have been there for years. Some of them serve as landmarks.

There's a certain type of mindset of the people who climb dangerous places. I don't know what it is, but for some of them, the more warnings, the more they want to do it.

draosz

Registered
Reaction score
George Mallory summed it up best in "Because it's there", which clearly demonstrates that you can't reason with such people.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
George Mallory summed it up best in "Because it's there", which clearly demonstrates that you can't reason with such people.

Such a reason doesn't really make sense when it is surrounded on all sides by thousands of kilometres of desert. You don't just find yourself there and say "oh well may as well climb it". You've gotta try pretty hard to get there.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Here's a piece in the Saturday Paper about climbing Uluru. It's from earlier this year, so wasn't prompted by the latest incident.

Despite multi-language signage stating climbing is against the wishes of the traditional owners, tourists still climb mainly because they can. This is because when the federal government returned Uluru to traditional owners in 1985, it was returned on the condition that it be leased back to the government for 99 years. Closing the climb was meant to be revisited once suitable alternative activities had been developed and climbing numbers declined to less than 20 per cent of visitors. These conditions appear to have been met, yet still the climb remains open.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It's bizarre to me.

It's their sacred ground! I wouldn't go climbing the Taj Mahal or the Cathedral of Notre Dame just because they're there, even if I loved parkour. I'm an atheist, but I also like to think that I'm not...a...tool.

I think anyone who tries to climb Uluru should get kicked in the fucking shins.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's bizarre to me.

It's their sacred ground! I wouldn't go climbing the Taj Mahal or the Cathedral of Notre Dame just because they're there, even if I loved parkour. I'm an atheist, but I also like to think that I'm not...a...tool.

I think anyone who tries to climb Uluru should get kicked in the fucking shins.

Post Of The Day for me. They are absolute dickheads who climb. Really.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Anecdote alert: I've been to Central Australia quite a few times, mostly on field work. On a day off, I went for a walk at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). As I was heading in, an overseas tourist who was heading out warned me, 'It's just another bunch of rocks'. So that's how some people view things. I should have said 'Yeah. And this is a bunch of grass' and pushed him into the spinifex. But I am always nice to overseas tourists. Oh, except for one obnoxious arse at Daintree.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Anecdote alert: I've been to Central Australia quite a few times, mostly on field work. On a day off, I went for a walk at Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). As I was heading in, an overseas tourist who was heading out warned me, 'It's just another bunch of rocks'. So that's how some people view things.

We in the U.S. have had a couple of incidents recently (one just this week) of people knocking over rock formations in national parks, just because . . . they could. And another of drunken vandals despoiling a pool in Death Valley which contains the only habitat of an extremely rare fish. I'm beginning to think Kim Jong-Un's concept of re-education camps might be a good idea.

caw

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
In 2004 hunters shot three endangered whooping cranes at Quivira, a wildlife preserve in my county. The hunters got off more easily than you would think, because they claimed they were hunting snow geese and were confused. (By drink --rumor has it.) They should not have had guns in a nature preserve at all. Out here we have a strong "small government" movement. Even my late father used to rail and rant that the government forbid hunting at the local salt marsh preserves--places where he often hunted ducks until the government "took over" by setting acreage apart as a refuge. I think this anti-sign attitude is universal. It seems to go far beyond salt marshes and monuments. Signs seem to bring out the worst in some people.

Try as we might, we could never convince my father that Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivira were better places because everyone could enjoy them, not just hunters. It was so ironic because my father was always so careful about camping. We could never leave a campsite messy or littered. He thought people should be naturally inclined to preserve the outdoors without all the signs, regulations and game wardens. I think all thinking adults can agree that the signs and regulations are necessary because so many irresponsible people consider themselves clear thinking and responsible if invulnerable. --s6

PS-- side trip: one of my first confessional experiences was explaining to the priest how I lied to a game warden by telling him that my friends and I --all 8-10 years old-- had found this neat net thing in some bushes and wanted to play with it. Actually it was a seine, my father's, and we had been instructed by our dads to seine the river for bait and coached with the phony story in case a man in a brown uniform stopped us. Dad lost the seine on that one, and this might just be memory playing tricks on me, but I think the priest laughed.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Last month I went for a walk up Knocknarea in Ireland(http://www.megalithicireland.com/Knocknarea.htm ). At the top is a neolithic passage grave known locally as Queen Maeve's Cairn. It's not a religious site (at least not to anyone living) but it is a monument of great archaeological significance and there are signs on all sides of it telling people not to climb. This includes handy diagrams so lack of English skills are not an excuse. Of course, on that lovely summer's evening tourists were crawling all over the cairn and picking up stones on their way. :rant:

And then there's Justin Beiber's utter disregard for the fragile ecosystem of Iceland: https://grapevine.is/news/2016/09/19/justin-bieber-in-hot-water-again-over-new-music-video/