9 people stabbed in Minnesota Mall: ISIS takes credit.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Link
The man who stabbed nine people at a Minnesota mall Saturday before being shot dead by an off-duty police officer was a "soldier of the Islamic state," according to an ISIS-linked news agency.
The statement posted online Sunday by the Amaq agency follows a pattern of ISIS-related media claiming responsibility for what appear to be the acts of individuals across Europe in the past few months.

CNN cannot independently confirm this latest claim.

"We still don't have anything substantive that would suggest anything more than what we know already, which is this was a lone attacker," St. Cloud Police Chief William Blair Anderson told CNN's Jake Tapper Sunday. "And right now, we're trying to get to the bottom of his motivations."
The FBI is calling the attack "a potential act of terrorism."

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doubtful that Isis is involved at this point, but I understand their desire to spread fear by making claims.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
At this point, ISIS would claim credit for the Unabomber, if it got them into the headlines. Just saying. Whether they actually have any involvement, direct or indirect, is beside the point for them.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto what Max said above. It's cheap and easy for ISIS (and Al-Qaeda, for that matter) to claim credit for any atrocity.

And it's one thing to actually be involved in the planning of some terrorist attack (e.g., Paris, last year, or Mumbai, earlier), and quite another to take credit for some loner claiming to be "inspired" by ISIS (e.g., San Bernardino and Orlando). We have a spectrum of terrorist dangers out there, and some fall in between (e.g., the Boston Marathon bombers). The similarities in devices suggest, but only suggest, that whoever did this was copycatting on the Tsarnaev brothers.

caw

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Isis claimed credit for tripping me last week. And here I thought it was my shoelace.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for giving it a little more credence, considering their actual ties to recruiting people in Minnesota. Won't happen again.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I think people both give ISIS too much credit and they give ISIS too little credit, at the same time.

They give them too much credit in thinking they are these shadowy puppet-masters who sit and control everyone’s movement from thousands of miles away. They give them too little credit when it comes to how they advance their goal, which is to make people in the west hate and fear Muslims.

People here in the west can say they’re working with ISIS, when it’s most likely the case they’ve read materials about and by ISIS. Then law enforcement find that material, and feed into the myth that ISIS is masterminding attacks in the west when what is really happening is that some sick person is reading a web page or a blog post without ever talking to anyone connected to ISIS. Then, when that or those persons do an attack, it’s easy for ISIS to come in and say “Yup. It was us. Fear us!”

Where they are succeeding, or at least seeing their strategy goals come through, is that people in the west react atavistically and start to persecute Muslims. Donald Trump is ISIS Christmases all come true. Particularly if he starts to deport Muslims and put them in camps. And Trump is succeeding because every crackpot who does something yells ‘I’m with ISIS!’.

The worst wrong we could do to ISIS would be to actually follow western values: don’t project characteristics across a whole class of people for the doings of individual members of that class. See each attack as an isolated incident, and don’t ever attribute blame to ISIS unless there’s a record of meetings between an attacker and members of ISIS.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the claim by ISIS. They have been instructing their followers to strike out independently and there is precedent that Somalis in America have been targeted by ISIS for recruitment and to be radicalized as NPR reported in 2015.

This week officials are gathering in Washington to discuss how to counter extremist messages, particularly those from the self-proclaimed Islamic State.

ISIS has been luring thousands of Westerners to the battlefields of Syria and Iraq. The number of Americans who have traveled to Syria is still relatively small — in the neighborhood of 150 people — and a thin slice of that group, perhaps as many as two dozen Americans, are thought to have joined ISIS.

In the discussions at the White House this week, one city has focused minds: Minneapolis-St Paul. It had been ground zero for terrorist recruiters in the past, and is fast becoming the center of ISIS' recruitment effort in the United States.

"I know one guy who tweets the community all the time," said Abdirizak Bihi, the director of Somali education at a local advocacy group. "He left with my nephew 2008, and he's still alive. And he's been tweeting about who died in ISIS and where they come from, kind of maybe the new spokesman."

Bihi's nephew was a Minneapolis teenager named Burhan Hassan, who joined a handful of young men from the Twin Cities and traveled to Somalia to join a terrorist group there called al-Shabab. Hassan died there several years ago. Between 2006 and 2011, some 27 Somali-Americans from the community disappeared to fight in Somalia.

We dismiss at our own risk the ability and influence ISIS has on its followers. There are a lot of wannabee jihadists out there who would like nothing better than to strike a blow against the infidels, but don't know how to go about doing it. As we've seen ISIS is telling their fanboys, "Hey, don't ask us. Just do it and make sure you give us the credit."

Rachel Maddow dug deep into this following the Pulse nightclub attack in June.

...when the U.S. expanded air strikes against ISIS into Syria in September 2014, ISIS went a little nuts about that. Not to say they weren't nuts before. But they were super angry about those air strikes in Syria targeting them, to the point where their spokesman basically embarrassed himself in a public statement that he put out at the time.

It was an ISIS message specifically to Muslims living in the West, telling ISIS supporters around the world that in the name of ISIS, people should commit terrorist attacks in their home countries. Quote, “If you can kill a disbelieving American or European, especially these spiteful and filthy French or an Australian or a Canadian or any other disbeliever from the disbelievers waging war, then kill him in any manner or way, however it may be.”

Then we get to the specifics. “Smash his head with a rock or slaughter him with a knife or run him over with your car or throw him down from a high place or choke him or poison him.”

ISIS was so unnerved by the U.S.-led coalition air strikes that started against them in the fall of 2014 that their spokesman literally responded by putting out a statement telling people to find a filthy Frenchman and hit him in the head with a rock. It was a very strange statement, right, especially because of its weird specificity.

But however strange it was, it also marked an important tactical change for them as an organization, because in that statement, that angry, weird statement from ISIS saying how mad they were that all these Western countries were many booing them now, in that statement, ISIS stopped calling on their Western supporters to leave their homes and travel to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State, and they instead told their Western followers that they should stay where they are in the West and commit attacks there.

They also said, and this ended up being important, “Do not ask for anyone`s advice and do not seek anyone`s verdict.” Meaning, don`t ask for our permission. Don`t ask for anybody`s permission. Consider this to be your permission slip. Go ahead. Don`t tell us you`re going to do it, just do it.

So, that`s September 2014. Don`t come here, don`t ask us, you don`t need to hear anything from us other than this, just go do it, go kill civilians in your home country with any means that you have, even if all you have is a car or a rock. Do that, we`ll consider that you being an ISIS fighter and being part of our movement and helping what ISIS is trying to do. That was issued September 21st, 2014.

It was nearly two years ago ISIS encouraged its sympathizers to commit lone wolf attacks against Europeans and Americans in their own backyard. Since then we've seen the bloody fruit born of those poison seeds.

We were warned.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yep. What nighttimer said. I'm not dismissing it, not yet at least.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I happen to be in St. Cloud, Minnesota, this very minute helping out in the local hospital where the victims were brought. Everybody is just as calm and rational as you'd expect Garrison Keillor's people would be. Yes, there is a substantial Somali community in St. Cloud; it kind of spread up from the Twin Cities, where there is a very large Somali community. Every time I come here I see them going through the process of becoming Americans of the Minnesota variety. Many came as children. In Walgreen's I was helped by a 20ish-year-old cashier in traditional Somali dress who spoke with a Minnesota accent. We have many Somali nurses and respiratory therapists in the hospital, all of whom got their degrees and training at local educational institutions. They are all bilingual. The police force just hired some Somali officers who got their law enforcement degrees here. The governing board of the hospital has a couple leaders from the Somali community on it. It's fascinating to watch America in action. Sure there are some bumps in the road and the occasional fanatic. Remember the Italian anarchists who scared everybody in the early 20th century? It's not Trump's America here as far as I can tell. Everything will be fine, at least in Minnesota, if we just let the natural process work. But of course Minnesota is a pretty blue state.

Last edited: