How about a Midlands meet?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I saw AWers crunchyblanket, PeteMC and Sian and former AWer Nakhlasmoke at Fantasycon this weekend and told them about this proposed meetup. Sian definitely won't be able to make it as she's working on the afternoon of the 19th.

My Skype suggestion was semi-serious, but now I think about it... If the pub has wifi and it holds up well enough I could bring this netbook along in case anyone wants to say hello via Skype.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Are newbies welcome? I would like to meet more writers and B'rum isn't too difficult for me...

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
They certainly are! It's always nice to meet new people.

Excellent, I shall look forward to it. Presumably you'll PM or publish the time/venue here nearer the time?

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
The venue is the Shakespeare pub opposite the New Street Station in Birmingham. We hadn't fixed a time but I was thinking either lunchtime or afternoon. What does everyone think?

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
The venue is the Shakespeare pub opposite the New Street Station in Birmingham. We hadn't fixed a time but I was thinking either lunchtime or afternoon. What does everyone think?

I can be there around noon, and I'm thinking of one person who wants to say hello and noon GMT will be 10pm her time!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Noon is good for me and Mirandashell has said she can make any time so let's go with that. I'm really looking forward to this!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I've passed the time, date and venue along to the people in in contact with on twitter. If you guys can spread it to the people you're in contact with that would be good.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Well we're a crazy bunch of people. That's what you get when you get a gang of writers together. Chaos and the end of sanity.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've now booked my train tickets. I arrive at New Street at 1208 so will be at the pub shortly after then.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! I ought to buy tickets too. Mirandashell says she'll be wearing a bright orange coat so we should be able to spot her. I'm a short woman with black hair but I can't promise to wear anything specific and identifying (though I guess I could wear the hat in my avatar if I can find it).

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've met maythe and Mirandashell before, so should be able to recognise them.

A message from Helix, who's going to say hello to us from the other side of the world. She contacted the pub and got the reply back that they hadn't had a booking from us and suggested we should do so. So, is anyone up for booking a space in the pub? I remember that being done for the London meets and fewer than expected people turning up.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I think there'll be about four of us so I'm not sure it's worth booking. Is it just the WiFi we might need to book?

I'm on a writing retreat with only sporadic mobile WiFi until Saturday.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I think there'll be about four of us so I'm not sure it's worth booking. Is it just the WiFi we might need to book?

I'm on a writing retreat with only sporadic mobile WiFi until Saturday.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
So if we're meeting about noon, what time are you guys expecting to head home? I'm just booking trains (finally) and I'm thinking probably about half four.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst I am really keen to meet some fellow British writers I am reluctantly going to have to forego this lunch - two funerals and a birthday in the next seven days putting a bit of pressure on time )c:

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Wow that's a busy few days and sympathies for the funerals, two in a week is pretty awful. I hope we'll see you at some future shindig.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Wow that's a busy few days and sympathies for the funerals, two in a week is pretty awful. I hope we'll see you at some future shindig.

Thanks for the sympathy, neither really a terrible shock my 92 year old Aunt and an 85 year old friend; the aunt is a relief for her family really as she has suffered severe dementia for over five years, the friend was more of a surprise; he came to our residents' association fireworks on 5th Nov, resigned from the association at our AGM on the 6th handing me the chair (damn it) and had a massive stroke on the 7th and didn't regain consciousness until he passed on the 12th - Olympic rower, Lloyds underwriter, JP... ten months ago his heart was repaired with a valve from a pig! Third and fourth funerals this year )c:

I would really like to meet and network with you guys but having just finished the draft of my second novel I also have a huge backlog of domestic duties...

Deffo next time, and have fun!