James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The Rh factor was discovered in 1937; its significance in transfusions was noted in 1940.

Which leads me to one of the things that drives me batty about Cecil B. DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth.

In the action/adventure climax, we discover that the Brad the ringmaster (played by Charlton Heston) needs a transfusion, and he has a very rare blood type: AB- Transport to a hospital is not possible. The only other person on the circus train with the same blood type is his bitter rival, the former aerialist called The Great Sebastian (played by Cornel Wilde), injured in an accident that Brad had engineered. Nobly, The Great Sebastian donates his blood, even though it will mean that his rival will live, prosper, and get the girl.

It's true, AB- is a very rare blood type. But it's also the universal recipient. Anyone on that train could have donated blood, possibly including the orangutans.

Grrrr, I said.

(Two other bits of trivia: renting themselves out to The Greatest Show on Earth was how Ringling Brothers Circus raised the money to pay off the last claims for the Hartford Circus Fire. Also, the movie was condemned by the Legion of Decency.)

StuToYou

Registered
Reaction score
The Rh factor was discovered in 1937; its significance in transfusions was noted in 1940.

Which leads me to one of the things that drives me batty about Cecil B. DeMille's The Greatest Show on Earth.

In the action/adventure climax, we discover that the Brad the ringmaster (played by Charlton Heston) needs a transfusion, and he has a very rare blood type: AB- Transport to a hospital is not possible. The only other person on the circus train with the same blood type is his bitter rival, the former aerialist called The Great Sebastian (played by Cornel Wilde), injured in an accident that Brad had engineered. Nobly, The Great Sebastian donates his blood, even though it will mean that his rival will live, prosper, and get the girl.

It's true, AB- is a very rare blood type. But it's also the universal recipient. Anyone on that train could have donated blood, possibly including the orangutans.

Grrrr, I said.

(Two other bits of trivia: renting themselves out to The Greatest Show on Earth was how Ringling Brothers Circus raised the money to pay off the last claims for the Hartford Circus Fire. Also, the movie was condemned by the Legion of Decency.)

Some nice info Uncle Jim.

Although, facts should never really get in the way of a good story....

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Facts shouldn't get in the way of a story, but if you can stick with facts, that's a bit better. You can never tell what will throw a reader completely out of your tale.

Readers are perfectly happy to believe in dragons. They're less likely to stop believing in oxygen.

(As to why The Greatest Show on Earth was condemned by the Legion of Decency: it could have been because some of the young ladies in the film wore very skimpy costumes. Or, it could be because ***SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*** Buttons the Clown (played by Jimmy Stewart), who never took off his makeup, was really a physician-on-the-run who had (due to the Hayes Code this is all very vague and hidden in hints and innuendo) either committed a mercy killing or had performed an abortion in which the young lady died-- the text supports either reading. Yet he is a sympathetic character. He reveals himself to be a doctor by carrying out that transfusion in the last reel, which shows the detective who has been tracking him who he really is. Lots and lots of sub-plots in this movie.)

So, back to the question at hand: the meet-cute for our heroes at the hospital. Pretty much anything will do, so long as it doesn't slash the strings suspending the readers' disbelief. I'd like to suggest that the least complicated way would be the best, to avoid finding that the how-they-met subplot has overpowered the main plot.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I had an epiphany early this morning, while half-asleep. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to write myself a note! I know how to get the MC to the hospital. Best of all, it's foreshadowed in the first chapter! She's going to be agitated by the appearance of her long-lost lover and accidentally eat something of her roommate's, which contains a fruit she's allergic to. She'll have trouble breathing, so her long-lost lover will take her to the hospital, even knowing he might be caught by the authorities.

In the first chapter, I wrote that she's given a bowl of fruit for lunch, which contains a berry she's allergic to. I had beta-readers say they hoped it was foreshadowing something, because otherwise, what's the point of mentioning it? I agreed, but never found a way to work her allergy into the story. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to cut it from the scene, either. Apparently, my subconscious just needed a long time to percolate on the subject.

Anyway, I'm thrilled because this means I can finally rewrite the ending of the novel.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I had an epiphany early this morning, while half-asleep. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to write myself a note! I know how to get the MC to the hospital. Best of all, it's foreshadowed in the first chapter! She's going to be agitated by the appearance of her long-lost lover and accidentally eat something of her roommate's, which contains a fruit she's allergic to. She'll have trouble breathing, so her long-lost lover will take her to the hospital, even knowing he might be caught by the authorities.

In the first chapter, I wrote that she's given a bowl of fruit for lunch, which contains a berry she's allergic to. I had beta-readers say they hoped it was foreshadowing something, because otherwise, what's the point of mentioning it? I agreed, but never found a way to work her allergy into the story. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to cut it from the scene, either. Apparently, my subconscious just needed a long time to percolate on the subject.

Anyway, I'm thrilled because this means I can finally rewrite the ending of the novel.

:hooray::Thumbs::banana::e2woo::yessmiley:yessmiley:yessmiley

That sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.