The meaning behind the master of horror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
I think this thread could be fun,

Not long ago, I crossed a person who mentioned they didn't dig Stephen King because they felt his stories didn't deliver any message. Their opinion, King only went for fear factor and thrills. I had an itch to confront this with an eight page college dissertation. But, in the effort of peace, I restrained myself.

I've never been afraid to proclaimed myself a huge Stephen King fan, despite his name never being associated with any exclusive avenue to intellectual segregation. It did make me think, however.........

I speculate, horror may be a particular difficult genera to deliver certain messages through, given righteousness and justice are not pervasive themes throughout common examples of the category.

King's messages are most certainly there (I believe). I feel it just takes a little more effort (or soul swallowing) to dissect them. That makes them more fun, IMHO. So I challenge--or grant the opportunity--to any whom may stumble upon this thread:

Explain the underlining or moral message behind your favorite work by America's most prolific author:

(Screen Play, Short Story, Novel, Novella,..doesn't matter)

What was Stephen King trying to say that many may have overlooked?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a start: Carrie White is a quite obvious poster child for anti-bullying. Kids! Don't pick on that girl--she could really eff you up!

And in The Shining, it's Jack Torrance's drinking that makes him especially vulnerable to the evil at the hotel.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Don't go to Maine.

Is he actually America's most prolific author? That seems so unlikely to me.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
The Stand. Even though it shows an end of life as we know it scenario, there are several real-life applications.
The government is not always working with your best interests in mind.
Out of destruction some find a stronger side to themselves than they had known before.
Relying too much on modern amenities can shorten your lifespan when those amenities are lost.
Sometimes faith is the only answer.
Etc. In case noone knew by that, it's my favorite King work! Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isaac Asimov. R.L. Stine. L. Ron Hubbard. And that's just for starters, and just in the U.S.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Louis L'amour? A bunch of mystery writers? A bunch of sci-fi writers?

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll give you Stine. Never stop to think of him

Prolific, meaning large bounty of fruit, I guess leaves some room for opinion

But not Asimov?

You said "America's most prolific author." If you're going to set qualifications (such as your definition of "fruit"), you're getting into subjective rather than numeric territory.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
I sincerely do not consider V.C. Andrews as a horror writer. Also, for me, her stories all tend to tell the same story of a severely twisted family secret.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sincerely do not consider V.C. Andrews as a horror writer. Also, for me, her stories all tend to tell the same story of a severely twisted family secret.

Doesn't matter. You qualified the OP's original statement with "horror." Even though you might not consider Andrews a horror writer, that's still how her books are classified in bookstores and in libraries. You may think she recycles plots, but that doesn't negate the fact that she wrote more books than King.

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
Probably should have just written, "One of America's most popular." Or at least "one of," in front of prolific.

I did consider someone bringing some Ian Fleming type of author up on me. I knew that Hubbard had wrote 70 some odd stories, but I'd still think King would beat him on short stories, Maybe.

After a little research. The term prolific in writing sometime references how much they've sold. Or at least ETA: Google popped up some numbers when I entered the term

King is 8th on this list of American authors. Koontz actually beats him at 7th. (Can't find the Surprise emoji)

http://listosaur.com/entertainment/top-10-best-selling-american-authors-of-all-time/

R.L. Stine on another site is credited with selling 400 million copies.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Probably should have just written, "One of America's most popular." Or at least out "on of," in front of prolific.

I did consider someone bringing some Ian Fleming type of author up on me. I knew that Hubbard had wrote 70 some odd stories, but I'd still think King would beat him on short stories, Maybe.

After a little research. The term prolific in writing sometime references how much they've sold.

King is 8th on this list of American authors. Koontz actually beats him at 7th. (Can't find the Surprise emoji)

http://listosaur.com/entertainment/top-10-best-selling-american-authors-of-all-time/

R.L. Stine on another site is credited with selling 400 million copies.

Most popular =/= prolific. Most copies sold =/= prolific.

Ian Fleming was a Pom, so now I am completely confused.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
There was a similar (final jeopardy) question/answer on a recent episode of JEOPARDY, however it was couched in terms of a "living author" . . . The correct response (in the form of a question) was "Who is Stephen King?"

Status
Not open for further replies.