• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Dealing with a fuzzy brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, like this evening, I sit down to work on my writing and I just can't think clearly. It's like my brain is full of cotton wool. Editing is particularly bad in this state. When I'm writing a first draft the momentum can take me out through the fuzz but editing is a more careful, thoughtful process and so I don't build momentum. If I can't focus I just can't do it. I'm trying to fix the POV issues (my 3rd person POV is too distant - I'm trying to bring it into close 3rd) and I can't think clearly enough to decide which of my MCs should have the POV in a particular scene.

Does anyone have any tips for clearing out the cotton wool? It's driving me nuts. Does anyone else get this? Am I gradually turning into a cotton wool ball and soon my skin will start to get white, fuzzy and absorbent?

rosemena

Registered
Reaction score
Libby - you are not turning into cotton wool! Although I know what you mean.

I get this exact same thing and have found that I cannot make it go away by trying harder. That just makes it worse. I have to take a proper break and do something completely different - exercise, cleaning out a kitchen cupboard, talking to a friend or neighbor, then after a while it clears...

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that I have limited opportunities to work on my writing and if they get buried under a cotton wool avalanche I have difficulty getting anything done.

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Drugs are availible... Neurontin or generic Gabapentin

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
That seems a bit extreme. If it seemed like a medical issue I'd see my GP and take their advice.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, that's extreme!

Fuzzyhead is part of CFS which can be treated with those drugs. Although I personally don't take them cos I find the side-effects worse than the condition.

The only thing that gets rid of my FH is rest. Whether that would work for you, I don't know.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
In all honesty I'm pretty sure this because I have an active job, long commute, my life doesn't work with my natural sleep rhythm and after a tough day I don't have the mental energy for difficult brain work like editing. So I'm fairly sure there's nothing worrying underlying this. Also yesterday was pretty hot - I was probably mildly dehydrated to add to it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, like this evening, I sit down to work on my writing and I just can't think clearly. It's like my brain is full of cotton wool.

Been there. Done that. Still do in fact. :)

Mine's due to "chemo brain," the side effects of strong chemotherapy. My issue is that I know the word I want is "strawberry" but all I can think of is "banana." So it comes out as "that red fruity berry with little seeds that my wife likes in jam..." For me, there isn't any cure other than putting in a filler and coming back later, when I remember the word just fine.

It's more problematic, and frustrating, in a conversation. :)

The solution, basically, is just to move on to something else and come back later. And sometimes coming back several times until it's right.

Jeff

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I need to accept that I won't write on weekdays unless I'm unusually perky but I need to make writing a very high priority on the weekend when I'm much more likely to have spare energy.

Sometimes I see the suggestion to get up earlier and write before work but I already get up at 6am and am a zombie then too. Regularly getting up at 5 would wreck me. I'm frankly amazed by people who write lots with a full time job who also have children. They must be superhuman.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's due to "chemo brain," the side effects of strong chemotherapy. My issue is that I know the word I want is "strawberry" but all I can think of is "banana." So it comes out as "that red fruity berry with little seeds that my wife likes in jam..." For me, there isn't any cure other than putting in a filler and coming back later, when I remember the word just fine.

Yeah, ditto here. Even 8 months later, I'm still not as sharp as before.

For others who have woolly brains for whatever reason: maybe rest, maybe take a walk, maybe drink coffee or water, maybe just come back to it later. I think many people have woolly brains at times. :Shrug: Can't be on top all the time.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Fatigue is really good at causing Fuzzy Head. Even just being tired after a week's work can do it.

My worst episode of Fuzzy Head was a few years ago. I was making toast and took the slices out of the toaster, put some butter on the knife .... and then totally forgot what I was supposed to do next. I was standing there looking at the toast and the knife and the toast and the knife ... and my brain was going :Shrug: I had to go into the living room and ask my OH what I supposed to do with the butter.

So yeah, CFS Fuzzy Head, not so fun.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I've had friends with CFS it seems like a total pain in the arse. I'd probably be fine if I didn't have an hour's commute each way - it often makes the difference between being a bit tired and being an absolute zombie.

I once had the odd experience of a colleague talking to me and not understanding a single word. It honestly sounded like she had spoken in a foreign language. She had to repeat herself about four times before I understood her. It has never happened since and I can't remember if I was particularly tired or stressed at the time but the sensation of knowing I ought to understand but just not was really disconcerting.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I've had friends with CFS it seems like a total pain in the arse.

It is but you get used to it. Most of the weird stuff happens in the early years before you learn how to cope with it.

But yeah, it's restrictive.

But.... I do think maybe you need to find a job that isn't so far away so that it doesn't zombify you quite so much.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Ah the problem is, as far as gardening jobs go, I've hit the jackpot. Nice garden, nice employers, enjoyable work (mostly), better money than is usual, an annual bonus *and* an annual pay rise (never had both before). So far I've worked exclusively in the gardens of historical houses and those jobs aren't exactly common. We had 100 applicants when we advertised for my assistant. I'm only giving up this job if I physically have to, or if I'm certain I can make some cash with my writing - it doesn't have to be anywhere near what I earn now as MrK has a stable income but I know I'd be daft to drop the job in the hopes of earning by writing.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Some random ideas which may or may not be relevant ...

When I get mushy between the ears, it helps to write stuff down. I will sometimes write little letters to myself telling me to write a scene about X, where Y meets Z and so-an-so happens. Or writing a CV for my characters. Or a rough timeline of what happens next. There is something magical about putting these things down on paper. It helps to make them feel more concrete.

Music might also help. When I was writing a James Bond spoof, I had a compilation of Bond movie theme tunes running in the background. There is nothing quite like Shirley Bassey giving it full volume on Gooooldfiiingerrr" to get you in the mood. There was also something calming about having a set piece of music for a particular book. It was a way of drawing a line under the real world and getting my book head on.

One other thought. In your OP you said: "I can't think clearly enough to decide which of my MCs should have the POV in a particular scene."

I can't tell for certain without seeing what you've written, but this was ringing alarm bells for me. Only little alarm bells. More like those tinkling wind chimes. Not necessarily those big booming bells in Big Ben. Enough to niggle me.

If you have lots of main characters and lots of viewpoints, you might be setting yourself up with a difficult book to write. Multiple POVs may feel convenient because almost any plot problem can be solved by warping into someone else's head. But they are tricky to get right. It can also be unsettling for a reader if the book is constantly jumping.

The $64,000 question - are you sure you haven't got too many MCs and POVs?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only giving up this job if I physically have to, or if I'm certain I can make some cash with my writing -

That makes it trickier. Hmm... you'll have to slow up a tiny bit at work! Just a little that no-one notices.....

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
That makes it trickier. Hmm... you'll have to slow up a tiny bit at work! Just a little that no-one notices.....

I have just been off for five weeks with an injury (unfortunately one that also made it painful to type...) so slowing down a bit is expected just now I think!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Do I have too many POVs? Possibly. I have a team of two and the POV (which is 3rd person) is usually on one or other of their shoulders but there are scenes throughout the book which are told from other POVs. Basically I've got an omniscient narrator but they tend to sit on one character or another's shoulder throughout each scene.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
So that's two main characters plus occasional guest POVs? We can never say that any particular approach won't work, but that does sound quite complicated.

An omniscient narrator sitting one one or other character's shoulder? Well, okay. Does that mean that the narrator knows things that each POV character doesn't? Part of the reason for having a POV character is that you see things through their point of view - ie they don't see everything. I am struggling a little with the idea of a narrator who is both omniscient and showing a third person POV.

Or maybe I'm now suffering from mushy brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.