AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Editing] thEditors

Lefties are always right. Southpaw's Avatar

[Editing] thEditors

Right now they're offering a free edit of the first 3000 words "if suitable" for scifi or fantasy (see the tweet here: https://twitter.com/theditors/status/607823750462095360)

Is this the right forum? Is it okay that l added the tweet link?

Has anyone heard of them or tried them?
    Last edited by Southpaw; 09-15-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    I write urban fantasy. I refused to believe it's an oversaturated market. (For the record, that's a werehermitcrab.)
    ▪▪ Website ▪▪ Twitter ▪▪ Instagram ▪▪

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    (Moved from Ask the Editor)

Adding link to main site: http://www.theditors.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks CaoPaux! This forum does make more sense. **sheepish smile**
    I write urban fantasy. I refused to believe it's an oversaturated market. (For the record, that's a werehermitcrab.)

Well, they don't actually say anything about themselves on their ABOUT US page.

They offer to look at 3K words for free and then say this:

Not all manuscripts will be accepted. If you do not hear back from us within three weeks you can assume that we felt your manuscript was unsuitable.
    Which sounds strangely like language vanity pubs use to make those "accepted" feel amazing about themselves and more likely to spend money even though most everyone (if not everyone) is accepted.

Lastly, they tell prospective clients to "Please note that sometimes we have a large backlog and are not always able to view all submissions." If they actually have a large backlog, then why are they trolling for new clients on Twitter?

Yeah, I notice there is no actual information about them on that page. They have testimonials, but it bothered me they don't say who they are. Thanks for your input.

I have used thEditors.com for all three of my books (and counting). They do NOT offer publishing services other than editing (but they do keep a list of proofreaders if you ask.)

I would definitely recommend them—but the best way to choose an editor is to look at the books they've edited and see what you think. If you like their work, then by all means, send them a sample and get their feedback. Given that the feedback is free, what do you have to lose?

Regarding the backlog mentioned by @Thedrellum: I can't speak for thEditors, but I do know there are a LOT of writers out there looking to get published (indie or otherwise), and I suspect that it's feast or famine with anyone who does freelance work in the publishing industry.

tl;dr: I recommend them, but your milage may vary.
    Time Machine Sales & Service: If it has to be there yesterday.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    There's a typo on their front page.

Principal Dave Taylor also runs Rocky Mountain Press: http://rockymtpress.com/

D.L. Orton, are you saying that you paid for the editing on your books published through Rocky Mountain?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

No, he doesn't run Rocky Mt. Press. I do.

RMP is a realitively new indie co-op, and we use independent contractors (which we pay). All the folks listed on the "About" page are contractors that have helped with the books published by RMP. The authors of the books published through RMP retain all rights to their books and all profits.

Dave Taylor and ThEditors are one of the contractors we use (and recommend). Yes, they get paid up front for editing services. So do the proofreaders, cover designers, audiobook narrators, etc.
    Time Machine Sales & Service: If it has to be there yesterday.

Okay, cool. Thanks for explaining.
    ICAO
    ---------