• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a YA/MG Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannahKarena

Registered
Reaction score
Heya folks!

Looking for a writing buddy/long-term critique partner who's interested in full-manuscript swaps, now or in the nearish (3-4 month) future. I write MG and YA, am well-read in (and super enjoy) fantasy, contemporary fantasy, magical realism, historical, and contemporary. Personally, I always write contemporary fantasy (real world with a twist...real world--and ghosts!; real world--and witches! etc.)

I'm a practiced critique partner with swift response times and I'm email-attentive. For a day job, I work in trade book publishing. I am looking for someone entrenched in and addicted to YA/MG fiction with critique partner experience--big picture, structural, pacing, plot hole sort of stuff. And I'm also agented, if that's a thing that matters in your opinion, and recently on my very first sub with a MG...

Let's be friends! And, if you're geographically close, come be friends with by small but awesome and awesomely talented writing group!

@Hannah_Karena on Twitter. Feel free to DM.
Hannah

bluejulie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bsoulflowers.blogspot.com
Still looking for a CP? I write contemporary YA and read everything YA except for science fiction. I'm really good with characterization and the big picture, plot, tension, consistency etc. I'm also good at being supportive and a good listener. I'm looking for someone who's good with paying attention to details, language in particular (not so much grammar but awkward sounding phrases and such).

I have a MA degree in Creative writing and YA literature and I'm currently enrolled in a PhD in Creative writing. I work as a translator and I used to work part-time as an editor for a lit. magazine. I've had short stories and poems published but those were literary adult stuff - hence the need to have someone check the language to make sure it's YA authentic.

I check emails regularly and try to read and respond as quickly as possible. PM me or find me on Twitter @BrigitaO.

KamiC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hannah!

Are you still looking for a writing buddy/long-term critique partner? If so, I am definitely interested! I live in SC--too far, alas, to drop by your writing group. Otherwise, I'd love to! I appreciate your mastery of YA/MG fiction, as well as critique.

I have a masters degree in English and have taught writing at the college level. A couple years ago, I started writing a YA novel. After I finish it, I plan to switch to MG. That seems to be a better fit for the way my mind works -:)

I'm on track to finish my contemporary YA novel by March 2017. If it will help - I'll be glad to swap a couple chapters with you to see if we're a match. If not, no hard feelings. Finding the right buddy is a matter of luck and discernment.

Thanks!
Kami (a pen name; feel free to call me Victoria)

sophievansickle

Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking, I would love to be a critique partner. Everything I write is YA (or light NA -- NA age but not NA content), and I do both low fantasy and contemporary. I recently graduated with degrees in English and Psychology, so mental health tends to show up a lot in my writing. I currently have one low fantasy novel ready to be read by others, but I have several other projects in the drafting process, so if my current novel doesn't interest you, later ones definitely could. Send me a message and we can chat. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.