• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Can You Forget How to Tell a Story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. This will probably sound really strange, but has anyone ever had an experience where it seems like you just woke up one day and forgot how to tell a story? This is how I've been feeling for months. I can force out a sentence or two, maybe a paragraph of fiction. Occasionally I can even bang my head against the keyboard and complete a story, but it won't have any life to it and it will be a storyteller's nightmare, as if everything I've ever learned about writing has just up and evaporated. Mostly I've become a master of what I call writing snippets, random bits of dialogue or description that look like they belong to a bigger story, but don't because I can never figure out the rest of the story. This is different from writing the opening to a story and then dropping it, by the way, as these bits often don't read like openings, but instead like they're culled from the middle of something, even though they're not. Probably the biggest issue and the one that might be easiest to describe is this: I can get broad scale ideas resembling a plot description found on book jacket copy, or I can get a bit of something that seems like it was yanked out of the middle of a novel or short story. What I can't seem to do is make up the little pieces to add up to the bigger idea I have or take the little pieces I have and expand them in to a bigger story. I'm not sure I'm making sense. I just feel like my brain suddenly forgot how to tell a story and I'm not sure if there's a way to fix that, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas or just any similar experiences.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
Have you had anything happen in the last few months that occupied your time and energy? Several years ago, I lost a son, the misery took over everything in my life. During that time I wrote poetry (which hadn't interested me in years), but the rest of my life was gone. Completely. I do not even remember most of the first two years. I quit school as I couldn't study on my own anymore. I completely lost that part of myself for a long time. The more I was able to resolve the loss, the more the other facets of my life fell back into place. I didn't write anything for about ten years, other than the dark poetry of the first two. I don't know if this is any help, but it is what happened to me.
You will find your voice again when the time is right. Keep all of your snipets if you can. Don't alter them yet, let them call to you when you go back through them. Good Luck!

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It will come back to you, almost like riding a bike. Once you find the bike again. Ok I beat the analogy to death. :)

Similar to what was said above, think about what has changed. It could be just stress, pressure or deadlines you self-impose, a shift in focus or daily schedule, or other more significant stressors like loss or grief.

I don't have answers except to say I have had periods where this happened and then suddenly gets better. It may take weeks or months, or who knows, but I would start with figuring out 'why now', and see if that helps.

But don't give up- your storytelling ability didn't disappear, you will find it again. Take care! :Hug2:

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the responses. Actually, the last big events in my life were about a year ago (my dad had multiple health scares and was in a car accident, I had to move out of a household that was basically hell at that point, then had to scramble for a new roommate when my first one left halfway through the lease, I had to put to sleep a dog that had been in my family for almost fifteen years, started a new relationship, then had the hardest breakup of my life when we couldn't work it out, etcetera.) After that I did fall in to a depression, but the last few months have actually been when things have gotten better. That's one of the reasons the writing issue has been bugging me so much. I mean it feels like everything else is starting to improve, but the writing isn't. It's frustrating, but thanks for the reassurances. Hopefully you guys are right and it will come back eventually.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think of this before, but I did experience a version of that once as well, so I'll share, in case it helps.

Years ago I had a sudden and life-changing loss where with no warning, I found myself very much alone, in a new state, and trying to learn how to manage bills, earn money, and navigate life with no help, and I was so young then. I did make friends at church, but still didn't burden anyone with my stress since they were new friends.

But as an example, I suddenly found myself alone and with no where to go on Christmas, and didn't realize in the small town that stores would all close, so I didn't have enough food for all but one meal. I didn't think of planning that.

But I made due, but felt so lonely. The next year I planned better and also I did go help feed people at my church and try to find other things to focus off of me the next holiday season (instead of just sitting at home alone) , and tried to treat myself to special holiday traditions that I made for myself. But of course it wasn't the same.

I think at first, it was as if all the stress and just running in survival mode built up, and then when things started to get better, after several months, then it all really hit me, like I was able to let down some of the guard of just surviving and try to get back normal again, or a new normal.

Anyway, as things changed and as I felt better emotionally, my body was finally telling me to give it a break. I was physically tired.

For several months after even just finally enjoying life, physically I caught colds often, sinus infections or something almost every other week, general gastritis a few times that sent me to the ER (sick and very weak for a few days after) and just wasn't myself physically, and my thought processes just were stalled. I lived alone, so apart from someone dropping off crackers or bread when I ran out, it was just me and I didn't want to bother others.

But I was finally feeling happier, more confident despite the loss, and I couldn't figure out why I would be sick so much when I hadn't been sick or missed work before during the most stressful time (I know it doesn't always happen like this, but for me it did).

A doctor once mentioned that perhaps now that my emotional self was recovered (or on the up swing) from such a loss/stressful situation, that my physical body had to catch up and recover finally, since no matter what happened before, I had to keep going to survive, and had just run my body into the ground and on auto-pilot, not paying attention to it.

See, I had not been "sick" that entire time of loss (or ignored any versions of it), and then it hit me, physical illness, but when I was emotionally starting to feel better. It was so weird to me!

Anyway, after several months of recovering physically, my body started back to itself and a healthy balance. And guess what? I could write again. I even had a sudden wave hit me and stayed up all night once to write. This was 20 years ago, but I still love to this day what I wrote then.

So, it may not relate to you, but i find it interesting that what changed for you was a while ago, and these past few months the only difference has been things getting better (if I understood correctly). So if that is accurate, definitely don't give up. I can tell you from personal experience you may need to give it a little more time to come back, it could be your body or mind needs a little rest to catch up and balance.

Or not, but just encouraging you that what is right now may not at all be what will be in a while. And so sorry for all your loss and difficult times. But give yourself time still.

It will come back, I do believe that. Take care!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.