UK self-publishers = sole traders?

james86

Registered
Reaction score
Just trying to get my head around the tax thing so I have a question for all the self publishers in the UK.

Am I right in thinking you have to set up as a sole trader? Does this involve giving a business address, i.e. your home address, and are there are any implications to this? What if I don't own my house? :Shrug:

HJW

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a self publisher but am trade published (well, will be next year!), but the process will be the same. You just have register with HMRC as self employed sole trader for self assessment and submit tax returns. You just use your home address. Doesn't matter whether you own your home or not.

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader/overview

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm a UK trade author, but I also work freelance as an editor, so the same sole trader rules apply. HJW is right: it doesn't matter if you own your home or not. The only time you need to worry about the likes of gaining planning permission on rented/owned property etc is if extensions to the home are needed and it poses a nuisance to neighbours. As you're mostly working from a room in your home, you'll just be applying to the HMRC as a self-employed sole trader who works from home. You give that address, then when they ask you to fill in a tax return, you work out the tax deductions based on that room usage when it comes to utility bills used to keep your business running etc.

It's not as scary as it looks. :)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind if you're claiming working tax credit or similar you need to notify the tax credits or relevant office.

ETA: technically you only have to notify them if your income changes by more than a certain amount but if you're starting to do something like this it's probably best to let them know and they'll tell you if/when you need to start reporting what you earn.

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I live in Australia but yes, I am a sole trader. I set up my ABN (Australian Business Number) for a copywriting business first, but I can use it for self publishing too because it's all writing. Handy, actually, because I can deduct self publishing costs from the income I get for copywriting and its all good tax wise.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Sole trader is just name for some one that has self employed income . You can still have an employer , but they will only be declaring income they pay you. Look here

Working for yourself - GOV.UK

Basically, It is simple . Tell the tax man you have self employed income and they will send you the form . You don't need an accountant, just keep two books , school exercise books will do . One money in and one money out . Keep all invoices . Stick it all in a folder, after a year. and start again . You need to keep records for 7 years.
Personal, I don't push the expenses side too hard , if you keep it reasonable the tax man will leave you alone . If you have any questions , Ask the tax office . They know answers and are quit friendly

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi
Sole trader is just name for some one that has self employed income . You can still have an employee , but they will only be declaring income they pay you. Look here

I may be wrong, but I believe if one is a sole trader, they don't have employees, they just have subcontractors. Fairly sure "employee" carries a different legal definition, because you need to pay them appropriate benefits, sick leave, etc.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I believe if one is a sole trader, they don't have employees, they just have subcontractors. Fairly sure "employee" carries a different legal definition, because you need to pay them appropriate benefits, sick leave, etc.
Sorry ...plese note edit ....employer

Last edited: