Movie "villains" who you kinda, sorta actually rooted for...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hannibal Lecter.

That's a great one. Especially in the film Hannibal. F Ray Liotta. And Gary Oldman.

Magneto's is great. Adrian Veidt is right.

I'll add Peter Cushing's Baron Frankenstein from the Hammer films. If the stupid townsfolk would just leave him be, he'd solve all of mankind's problems sooner or later.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Starscream-has suffered some of the worst character assassination in the different stories.

Godzilla-I always cheer for him.

Dracula

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is King-Kong the villain in King-Kong? I always root for Kong.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
Achilles in Troy. He was not the main villain, merely a weapon used by Agamemnon and Menelaus. He was the one warrior who bucked the evil of the throne.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty and Ursula the Sea Witch in The Little Mermaid. No kinda/sorta about it.

HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Robert DeNiro's character in the Meet the Parents series -- maybe he's more an antagonist than a villain, but I'm always rooting for him. Ben Stiller is a putz.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Zira from The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Her pride and her babies are starving, all because Simba wouldn't have Scar's loyalists. I mean, the hyenas killed him, he was merely defending himself and his family, so I'm sure he could have talked instead of exiling them. No wonder she wanted him dead. She actually had every right to invade and fight as her and her family's bare survival depended on it.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Mr. Joshua. Okay, I don't exactly root for him because I would never root against Murtaugh and Riggs, but I do secretly hope he gets away. It is the Gary Busey toothy, crooked smile thing. He really is a very accomplished actor, something it is easy to forget when you see him on a talk show. As for Mr. Joshua, I find the character fascinating. Pure evil but a goofy, almost engaging evil.

I usually avoid action movies at all costs but the late mr. shakey was a great fan. I used to tag along to the cinema just for the hand holding but a couple of the films he chose were a lot better than I expected.

His taste in comedy was even worse--except for that idiot fishing movie with Glover and Pesci. I come from a family of male fishing morons. Some of those scenes were fairly close to fishing reality as I remember it. But it was a comedy of mr. shakey's, his very favorite of all time, that introduced me to Gary Busey. I don't have time to Google for the title this a.m. but in the final scene Busey's character crashes a hang glider through a stained glass window to prevent a wedding. He also tries to play tennis in a pair of cowboy boots. --s6

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Lord of Darkness from the Tom Cruise stinker movie Legend. He was teh Sex! Poor Tom Cruise in his furry underpants was completely out of his league.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Tom Hank's character in Road to Perdition. Although he's a paid killer, he is a decent man.

MadNorthNorthwest

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it already but I'd have to go for Neil McCauley, Robert De Niro's character in Heat.

Despite being a cold professional who lives a fairly spartan existence, there's great deal of loneliness at the very core of the performance that makes him enormously sympathetic. Even when he gives that line about walking away, it sounds as much like he's trying to convince himself of it as he is outlining his philosophy.

nossmf

Scribo ergo sum
Registered
Reaction score
What about films where the MC IS the villain? Just watched What Women Want with Mel Gibson, and he starts out in the movie as a chauvinist plotting to ruin the FMC's career, but over the course of the film he changes for the better.