Trying to Fix a Terrible Oversight

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepoofs

Registered
Reaction score
New to the forum, salutations! Because I feel it is very relevant to my topic/question and this subform in particular, I should note I am not a POC, and I am very aware that means I can overlook problematic themes in my work, however unintentional. I am doing my best to correct that and learn and grow, and that's why I'm here!

I'll try my best to be concise, but a bit of background is required for my dilemma:

Setting: Fantasy, low-magic, inspired by Stone to Iron Age civilizations of varying origin. Little to no European influences beyond minor details here and there. Predominantly Mesoamerican and Mesopotamian influences overall.

Empire: Sort of an "Atlantis" - fairly advanced for its time, widespread and long established. Not as expansionist in current story, but still quells rebellions and maintains borders. When conquering another society, allows local traditions and laws to continue but requires taxes and leaders/merchants learn their language for trading/record keeping purposes. Culturally diverse, but most prominently based off the Aztecs, sans human sacrifices. Also has a notable Kushan Empire and Kerala influence.

The issue: This setting is the basis for a tabletop game I've been working on. Lately my husband and I have been brainstorming ideas for a sort of "prequel" story for the empire's general. I started roughing out concepts, got ideas for a nuanced antagonist - I'm more interested in multiple perspectives/shades of gray rather than "empire = good, enemies = evil." However, a core aspect o the story is that the primary antagonist is a former Imperial captain who came from one of the conquered civilizations. He becomes disillusioned with the empire, defects, and leads a rebellion. Ultimately he loses. Fairly straightforward, right?

Well, in an effort to make the Empire more fleshed out I've been studying various North/West African cultures, and decided to make the antagonist part from a culture developed from these. Shortly after beginning to develop I realized: Essentially, as it stands, I have an African influenced culture rebelling and ultimately crushed by a larger empire.

Well, crap.

My question is not whether or not that's okay. I don't think it is now that I've realized it, it's the same old song and dance in a lot of media and I don't want to contribute to that. I'm not going to remove the African influences from the empire at all either, because I don't think the answer is to take them out and decrease diversity in this civilization. However, I do know I need to refocus the influences for the rebel leader and his culture, as it were. Primarily I'm looking at early Indian empires and civilizations for inspiration, but given their history with the British Empire, I'm wondering if I should look elsewhere? If so, any suggestions for a good starting point?

I might be overthinking this, but the last thing I want to do is write and create work that reinforces problematic colonial themes, no matter how unintentional. I welcome any input you guys have, or suggestions on where to look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.