The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Thurston Howl Publications

Thurston Howl Publications

Anyone have any experience with this company? (If a thread exists, mods please move.)

link here: http://www.thurstonhowlpublications.com/

Newish small press in the Nashville area, been around since 2014, with some genre authors and artists I've actually heard of. I'm asking for a friend, who might have an offer from them soon. They look...interesting.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

Thick Skin Pre-Installed Zombie Fraggle's Avatar
    Pros:

• Clever name. (For you young whippersnappers out there, Thurston Howell was the uppity billionaire castaway on Gilligan's Island).
    • Website is simple, easy to read and navigate.
    • Covers are genre-appropriate and nicely done.

Cons:

• Splash page text is geared toward authors, not readers.
    • No principals named on the About Us page. First names only (with one clearly a handle) are listed on the Submissions page, without even vague credentials.
    • Thirteen books published by the same three authors with only two single-title exceptions.
    • Only four of the thirteen titles are available in ebook format on Amazon.
    • The most recent four publications are trade paperback only . . .
    • . . . which I would bet were printed via CreateSpace, since earlier titles are clearly marked as published by CreateSpace. Ten bucks for an ISBN buys you the ability to put your author/publisher name in the publisher field.
    • The interiors of the last four trade paperbacks, as viewed on Amazon's "Look Inside" feature, are inconsistent and demonstrate a lack of knowledge on how to format a book for print. Widows. Orphans. Rivers. Proper names split between lines (e.g., "Bob" appearing at the end of a line and "Smith" appearing as the first word of the next line, or "Mr. Smith" with the same problem). Kerning issues out the wazoo. Hyphenation problems (i.e., a hyphenated company name like Hyper-Awesome, where Hyper- appears at the end of a line and Awesome is the first word of the next line, which inaccurately means the company name should be HyperAwesome). My guess is they were produced using MS Word with hyphenation turned off (which would create both the kerning problem and the split of a hyphenated name or compound word) and then converted to a PDF for uploading to CreateSpace.
    • Anthology submission page is outdated.

That's all the time I have to dig, but the lack of ebooks alone would be enough for me to take a pass. If you're gonna do print books only, they'd better be damn pretty print books.

What I was wondering, alas.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)