Undercover cops

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi guys!

I generally hang out in the SFF forums, but I have a question for all you mystery writers:

Does anyone know how to spot an undercover cop? My MC is a jewel thief at a gemological exhibition and he's trying to spot the undercover police officers. If setting would help: think Victorian era, big hall, lots of people.

My one experience with undercover cops was when I worked in a bookstore. This one guy kept circling the upper floor and when I finally asked if I could help him, he told me he was extra security for the holiday rush. It was funny because I thought he might be a shoplifter :p

Cheers,
T

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
What kind of undercover cop do you mean? One who infiltrates criminal gangs is very different to one who hangs around waiting to catch shoplifters. You shouldn't be able to spot a real undercover cop. Cos that's kind of the point.

ETA: Reading your post again, I think you mean plain-clothed cops, rather than undercover? Some people just look like coppers. Possibly something to do with the way they walk.

Last edited:

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
A good undercover cop is undetectable, but, in your setting (Victorian) a number of possibilities come to mind if these undercover cops are simply constables in plain clothes:

1) They are obviously on the look out for something, with their gaze never resting for long on one thing, or person.
2) They carry themselves with an almost military bearing, perhaps with their hands habitually behind their back.
3) Irrespective of the rest of their dress, they are wearing heavy, well-polished boots.
4) If it's a reception with refreshments available, they do not partake, preferring to keep their hands free at all times.
5) They remain close to one position with a good field of view of the crowd rather than wandering around, or mingling.
6) They are positioned strategically, to cover all the exits and entrances.

Perhaps a combination of a couple of the above might suffice.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
A good undercover cop is undetectable, but, in your setting (Victorian) a number of possibilities come to mind if these undercover cops are simply constables in plain clothes:

1) They are obviously on the look out for something, with their gaze never resting for long on one thing, or person.
2) They carry themselves with an almost military bearing, perhaps with their hands habitually behind their back.
3) Irrespective of the rest of their dress, they are wearing heavy, well-polished boots.
4) If it's a reception with refreshments available, they do not partake, preferring to keep their hands free at all times.
5) They remain close to one position with a good field of view of the crowd rather than wandering around, or mingling.
6) They are positioned strategically, to cover all the exits and entrances.

Perhaps a combination of a couple of the above might suffice.

There was an episode of the Sheldon Reynolds Sherlock Homes series where a police matron had to go undercover in a park where a serial killer was targeting women. They had a telegraph hidden beneath her handkerchief and she was to press it to alert Lestrade and Holmes if someone got too friendly. I actually thought it was a fairly realistic and well done scene.