Getting my freelancing career off the ground

Unwillingadult

Registered
Reaction score
Now, I know that starting a successful freelancing career isn't going to happen overnight, however, I would like some tips on how to get my work out and published. Some places you might recommend me checking out, for example. I have mainly just been contacting different blogs, and sites like Forbes and Huffington Post with a pitch idea and asking if I would be able to contribute an article to their site. What other methods would you suggest? Admittedly I am not even really looking for payment at this current moment in time. I didn't study journalism, nor did I get a high qualification in English, so I have been trying to build up my portfolio in the hopes it will help me study journalism at college, and then go on to university to study it.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd probably adjust my targets a bit. If you want to build a portfolio to help you study journalism, try and pitch to local publications. Things like what's on blogs, or offer to do pro bono work for a local charity.

A site like Forbes would look good in your portfolio, sure, but if you haven't studied journalism then they're unlikely to spend time working with someone who may not be able to produce something to their standard. They are a top tier content site.

EDIT - I clicked on your "about me" page. I would remove the line "I write because it is a passion of mine, not to make money". IMO the line makes you sound a little amateur. Good freelancers value what they do in dollars. I'm not saying you don't value what you do, but the line makes it sound like its a hobby and you're not going to work hard for the money. Apologies if I'm appearing overly critical, just wanted to give you some advice.

Last edited:

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Go small before you go big. You don't have the qualifications to back up your pitches to the big publications so you're going to have to develop a good, jobbing portfolio from smaller local publications and small online outlets. This initial phase shouldn't necessarily be about making it but getting your skills up to scratch and making a few connections that down the line might be able to help you out. Look for new sites and blogs, and if you are submitting to an online magazine, trying having a completed article instead of just a pitch, without those credentials behind you a magazine is less likely to bank on your skills. I would also advise you to get a real website and some publicity materials put together that you can send to prospective clients either now or in future, try contacting a graphic designer.

Last edited:

pathrunner

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I used Fiverr and wrote a few dozen pages for different websites and publications. I lost money on my first jobs, but as I built my reputation and gained more and more customers, i was able to drop the number of words I did for $5 while going from losing money, to making an average of $40 an hour 10 hours a day. It was a good six months of pure hard work with many top raman nights, but it was so much better than working for an advertising agency that only paid me if a client picked my script.

Hope this helps.

Freya Yuki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
freyayuki.tumblr.com
Personally, I used Fiverr and wrote a few dozen pages for different websites and publications. I lost money on my first jobs, but as I built my reputation and gained more and more customers, i was able to drop the number of words I did for $5 while going from losing money, to making an average of $40 an hour 10 hours a day. It was a good six months of pure hard work with many top raman nights, but it was so much better than working for an advertising agency that only paid me if a client picked my script.

Hope this helps.

Hi there. If you don't mind saying, how did you get customers on Fiverr? I have an account on there, but I'm seeing that it's really hard to get people to buy your gigs since there's so much competition. There are so many gigs there and a lot of those gigs already have a lot (like hundreds) of 5-star reviews, so it's doubly hard for those who are new there. Also, the pay seems so low although I think they've made changes so you can charge more? I haven't been there in a while though, so not sure.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Fiverr. It's a race to the bottom and devalues everyone's work. If you want to build a portfolio, you're better off approaching a few reputable charities and doing work for them. You'd be surprised at how many, even big ones, will say yes.

Having said that, you never know what is going to work. I spent months cold emailing businesses and got no where with any of them. Then my boss at my day job set me up with a graphic designer who has brought me probably ten jobs worth between $100-600 each.

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
What are the specific topics you like to write about? I can make suggestions for markets depending on your preferences. But, overall, I agree with others here -- start pitching and getting bylines with the local publications. And then build your way up.

FYI: Forbes and HuffPo don't pay.

Last edited: