Emotions, writing and emotional writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noir/Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
but I am not willing to force emotions onto my characters that they aren't necessarily feeling. Any tips?

I don't get how this even happens? You're telling a story. You're telling their story. So write the emotions based on what's happening to them. Sometimes you draw upon personal experience, example I lost my mother in real life, so I draw upon how I felt for me at the time of my mother's passing when my characters suffer a loss of loved one. If I haven't experienced it first hand I use empathy. I think "How would I react if this happened to me."

My feelings at the moment don't matter.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
I feel that my characters are an extension of me, mirroring my feelings and telling part of my story. That being said, They are their own people. I feel their pain as their own. I also realize that they are more real for having feelings that I have felt. They are more alive since I can truly empathize with their plights. I am a little in love with most of them, and they are mostly unconscious of my existence.

Desiree

Registered
Reaction score
Website
desireemoodie.com
There certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all formula for this. Personally, I write best when I can relate to what my character is going through on an emotional level. My writing shines when I feel (or have felt) what they feel.

And yes, on some level I leave a little piece of me inside of them. But the whole is still greater than the sum of the parts. They are fully their own people.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's like acting. They're not you, but you step into their skin. And you can do it not because they're like you, per se, but because most humans are capable of empathy and the ability to see things from someone else's perspective, if they choose to.

This is where it's at, to me. Stepping into another skin for a while, and making the audience believe it's real. While part of my mind considers the characters and their reactions from an intellectual standpoint, there's also a part that registers the emotions they would logically experience, given their background and who they are.

For example, I finished up a short story not long ago that I had to do a lot of analyzing and thinking over in order to write it, but when I got to a certain point in the narrative, what the character was experiencing was so overwhelming that I sat writing with tears pouring down my face, because at that moment I was tapping into a universal depth of grief that most of us will know at some point in our lives. I had hit something powerful, and it moved me. It came through in the writing, too: the first reader to get that story cried reading it.

The corollary, though, is that like an actor, the author is the interpreter of the character's emotion. And that means the need to translate on the stage, while always being a little conscious of how the audience is perceiving the play. In other words, it's never about your personal emotions, or your bad day or good day when you're writing. It's about showing up at the set, ready to put everything into your job and give 100% to the illusion of reality you're going to create.

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I also do the facial contortioning thing when I'm alone. When I'm in a room with other people, I mostly just knit my forehead very ferociously, according to my husband.

I think it's like acting. They're not you, but you step into their skin. And you can do it not because they're like you, per se, but because most humans are capable of empathy and the ability to see things from someone else's perspective, if they choose to.

True, true... I just never want to force something I am feeling in a moment onto them when that's not their reaction. I feel like I have no right to make them feel anything that I happen to be feeling. I don't want it to come across in the text, if that makes sense?

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
I don't get how this even happens? You're telling a story. You're telling their story. So write the emotions based on what's happening to them. Sometimes you draw upon personal experience, example I lost my mother in real life, so I draw upon how I felt for me at the time of my mother's passing when my characters suffer a loss of loved one. If I haven't experienced it first hand I use empathy. I think "How would I react if this happened to me."

My feelings at the moment don't matter.

That's the distinction I'm trying to find. I want to ensure that I don't push something down onto a character that they aren't feeling or thinking. To keep from doing that, I just don't write until I can write easily what they are thinking.

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
I feel that my characters are an extension of me, mirroring my feelings and telling part of my story. That being said, They are their own people. I feel their pain as their own. I also realize that they are more real for having feelings that I have felt. They are more alive since I can truly empathize with their plights. I am a little in love with most of them, and they are mostly unconscious of my existence.

I love how this is written. It's the contrary for me to be honest. My characters don't seem to take on anything from me sometimes. It's almost like they're the exact opposite.

- - - Updated - - -

There certainly isn't a one-size-fits-all formula for this. Personally, I write best when I can relate to what my character is going through on an emotional level. My writing shines when I feel (or have felt) what they feel.

And yes, on some level I leave a little piece of me inside of them. But the whole is still greater than the sum of the parts. They are fully their own people.

I agree. It is much easier to write an emotion you're familiar with, it makes the process easier.

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
This is where it's at, to me. Stepping into another skin for a while, and making the audience believe it's real. While part of my mind considers the characters and their reactions from an intellectual standpoint, there's also a part that registers the emotions they would logically experience, given their background and who they are.

For example, I finished up a short story not long ago that I had to do a lot of analyzing and thinking over in order to write it, but when I got to a certain point in the narrative, what the character was experiencing was so overwhelming that I sat writing with tears pouring down my face, because at that moment I was tapping into a universal depth of grief that most of us will know at some point in our lives. I had hit something powerful, and it moved me. It came through in the writing, too: the first reader to get that story cried reading it.

The corollary, though, is that like an actor, the author is the interpreter of the character's emotion. And that means the need to translate on the stage, while always being a little conscious of how the audience is perceiving the play. In other words, it's never about your personal emotions, or your bad day or good day when you're writing. It's about showing up at the set, ready to put everything into your job and give 100% to the illusion of reality you're going to create.

Do you think that getting to the point of being able to put that into practice is a process or something you should be able to do automatically?

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
That's the distinction I'm trying to find. I want to ensure that I don't push something down onto a character that they aren't feeling or thinking. To keep from doing that, I just don't write until I can write easily what they are thinking.

Well, yeah. You've got to be in the right place to write some things. I wouldn't embark on writing a characters first ride on a magic carpet with a wonderful prince if I'd just buried a family pet, but that's extreme. I usually find the emoitional transfer is reversed, and that writing a wedding scene or something when I'm bummed is more likely to pick me up than put a downer on the story.

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah. You've got to be in the right place to write some things. I wouldn't embark on writing a characters first ride on a magic carpet with a wonderful prince if I'd just buried a family pet, but that's extreme. I usually find the emoitional transfer is reversed, and that writing a wedding scene or something when I'm bummed is more likely to pick me up than put a downer on the story.

I find the opposite to be true. It feels like my voice is suffocating that of my characters. I'll read the part I've just written and hear my own voice (literal voice), and then the voice of the character doesn't come across in a personal sense. Like, someone else who is familiar with my story could read it and wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but I definitely can.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think that getting to the point of being able to put that into practice is a process or something you should be able to do automatically?
I found it happened fairly automatically, but then I've also done some acting - what LCB says about it being a related skill makes sense to me.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
I think of it as acting. When writing I become the character, at least the POV character, so I feel what they feel. It usually takes me a few to several minutes to get into it.

Scandal665

Registered
Reaction score
An author who's read a couple of my novels told me this (to paraphrase): The key to great writing isn't making your characters cry, it's making your readers cry.

I love this quote. LOVE IT! It really hones in on what a good story should give the reader.

Zealand5

Registered
Reaction score
I think of it as acting. When writing I become the character, at least the POV character, so I feel what they feel. It usually takes me a few to several minutes to get into it.

It's never a set way for me. It depends on the character to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.