AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Parvus Press

figuring it all out LouiseStanley's Avatar

Parvus Press

Looking over the Parvus Press website since they've been on reddit recently soliciting people talking about submitting first manuscripts and they had a call for submissions on the fantasy writing subreddit I moderate. They are a new outfit and IIRC the person who posted the initial thread said they were marketers who were into SF&F in a fannish way. This makes me a little curious after reading AW's threads on this sort of thing.

Also, I write fantasy and am currently looking for potential publishers/agents for when I finish my WIPs.

Website is here: http://parvuspress.com/

Looks fairly professional and well-designed, but you'd expect that from a marketer. The first book is available to pre-order and it's the first thing you see when you load the page. On my netbook the ad takes up the whole screen and you have to scroll down to see anything related to writers. Below the book ad there's an ad for a free critique service from Camp NaNoWriMo (http://parvuspress.com/camp/) - but they can't name it - and other summer writing projects. Not sure of that tbh. Should the editorial team be working on submissions?

Some of the text trumpets 'higher royalties than industry norms' and all that jazz. However, the credentials seem OK (http://parvuspress.com/about-us/) - there's a pro editor on board, although he doesn't state which NYT bestsellers or houses he's worked with.

To be honest I'd consider them if I look back in mid-2017 or whenever my book's actually going to be ready and find they've put out more work. However, IIRC from what I've read here it's still prudent to wait and see for a bit longer. Meanwhile, I've pre-ordered their first book, a short (~150 pp), old-school-sounding military space opera title - not what I write but usually in the same stables as the fantasy I write.

Any thoughts?

EDIT - sorry about the html mess-up.
    Last edited by LouiseStanley; 08-31-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Just did a quick search on the editor, John Adamus. He has worked with Chuck Wendig. Here's a guest post by him on terribleminds.

*lurk*
    They're not actually a sponsor of Camp NaNoWriMo, which I guess is where the "but we can't name it" thing is coming from - but it still seems weird. Like they tried to claim an affiliation but got their wrist smacked, or they're being super-cautious about trademarks or something like that.

Putting out a call on Reddit also seems weird to me. Do a lot of small presses do that?
    Twitter: @tiakall

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    The website is a bit author-centric for my taste, but with so few books published that's not really surprising. That said, the site is nicely laid out and cleanly written. I'll be interested to see how they fare in the next year or so - partly because I'd love to see more spec-fic publishers out there, and partly because these guys are practically in my backyard.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 09-03-2016 at 01:56 AM.
    KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Now available for pre-order Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

practical experience, FTW talktidy's Avatar
    This is probably just a me thing, but every time this shows up on the new posts list, I keep reading it as Parvovirus, which is a little off-putting.
    </derail>

This part disturbs me a little:

Connecting Talent
    You’re a writer. You write. It’s what you do best. But it takes an entire team of creatives to bring a book to market. Editing, cover art, interior layouts, advertising design; we bring the best talent to you. We will find the editor who specializes in what your specific book needs, because there are no silver bullets. And we’ll consult with you every step of the way.

I'm disturbed mostly because it sounds like they connect you with the other creatives, and then you pay for them. If the publishing house isn't providing the "[e]diting, cover art, interior layouts, [and] advertising design" then why do you need them? What exactly is Parvus providing?

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    On their "camp" offer page:

Okay, what's NOT ellegible for your review?
    That is all.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Benpanced, can you write that a little larger? I find the pertinent word a little illegible.

practical experience, FTW Tazlima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talktidy View Post
    This is probably just a me thing, but every time this shows up on the new posts list, I keep reading it as Parvovirus, which is a little off-putting.
    </derail>
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    "One of the hardest things to do, I think, is learn to trust your own creativity." - Ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by Thedrellum View Post
    This part disturbs me a little:

I'm disturbed mostly because it sounds like they connect you with the other creatives, and then you pay for them. If the publishing house isn't providing the "[e]diting, cover art, interior layouts, [and] advertising design" then why do you need them? What exactly is Parvus providing?
    I believe they're a conventional small press. I don't see anything about fees. It may just be marketing-speak for 'we edit your book'; they pay small advances, so would that mean they don't charge? Bit new to this though so am willing to be corrected.

The approach on reddit was back around Christmas. We also had Ragnorok advertise with us, but I wonder, without a catalogue as such to circulate their name around the writing public, whether it's outreach to get the ball rolling. At the time, as a moderator of the sub, I assumed it was usual for presses to put out calls for submission, particularly since Gollancz had an open window and we've hosted zines before as well. I then became a little bit more serious about finding a publisher and discovered this site.

And ugh, I didn't notice the misspelling .
    Last edited by LouiseStanley; 09-01-2016 at 02:32 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I went to their website and sent them a message through their General Inquiries Form asking if they're a traditional publisher. It's been a couple hours - no response yet, but not much time has elapsed anyhow. I'll update you guys on what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Champion View Post
    I went to their website and sent them a message through their General Inquiries Form asking if they're a traditional publisher. It's been a couple hours - no response yet, but not much time has elapsed anyhow. I'll update you guys on what they say.
    That's an almost meaningless question, since their isn't a standard definition.

Better to ask if they pay advances, who distributes them, and do they sell to the trade, etc.

Certainly true, so bearing that in mind I asked: Do you provide editing, design, and cover services free of charge?

That mostly covers the bill, although I did leave out marketing. But they should get by what I mean when I say "traditional".

From their Opportunities page
    Parvus offers both flat-fee contracts and hybrid contracts with a royalty component, allowing you the standard up-front payments you are accustomed to or giving you the ability to share in the profits of books that you have helped succeed.
    At least for now, while this publisher is new, Freelance Cover Artists, Editors, and designers should keep Zharmae pub in mind and take the flat fee!!!

I received a response from Parvus Press.

"Yes; we are a traditional (but independent) publisher. We pay advances for manuscripts and assume all costs of editing, publishing, marketing, distribution, etc. We are new in town and small but fierce! If I can answer any other questions, please let me know! Thanks for reaching out.

- Colin"

I received a response from Parvus Press.

"Yes; we are a traditional (but independent) publisher. We pay advances for manuscripts and assume all costs of editing, publishing, marketing, distribution, etc. We are new in town and small but fierce! If I can answer any other questions, please let me know! Thanks for reaching out.

- Colin"
    You might like to follow up with what actual distribution they have.

I asked them. This was the response:

"We do not yet have a distributor. We are a member of the Independent Book Publishers' Association which gives us access to some indie distributors, but we haven't pursued a distribution arrangement yet. To be frank, distributors want a 10 SKU catalog from a publisher to be sure they aren't wasting their time and energy before they'll sign you up. Either that, or they want to see you have a major success.

For now, we're distributing print novels through Ingram Print on Demand and if a title DOES attract the attention of a large retail channel, we will price the title in such a manner that it makes it attractive for them to stock it. Our goal is to ink a distribution deal in late 2017, after we've got a few titles out and establish a reputation in the market.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!"

They're fairly new and are limited in distribution for now, but I like them. So I submitted my novel.

POD distribution

Hmmm. Not really interested unless they could go one better than what I can do with Lulu. I'd rather hold off until they can get me into print (because I've worked out there is still a decent print market for SF&F).

My books are in no way ready to go and that might have changed by the time I come to submit but POD is of no benefit to me. It's good they're not an author mill but the two-year rule bandied about here is looking to be a good approach here.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Rysanthemums's Avatar
    I asked them. This was the response:

"We do not yet have a distributor. We are a member of the Independent Book Publishers' Association which gives us access to some indie distributors, but we haven't pursued a distribution arrangement yet. To be frank, distributors want a 10 SKU catalog from a publisher to be sure they aren't wasting their time and energy before they'll sign you up. Either that, or they want to see you have a major success.

For now, we're distributing print novels through Ingram Print on Demand and if a title DOES attract the attention of a large retail channel, we will price the title in such a manner that it makes it attractive for them to stock it. Our goal is to ink a distribution deal in late 2017, after we've got a few titles out and establish a reputation in the market.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!"

They're fairly new and are limited in distribution for now, but I like them. So I submitted my novel.
    I just saw their post in the Paying Markets forum and I have an urban fantasy manuscript that I'm querying right now; do you have any updates? I'm both curious and a little wary.

Small world. I just got a first-2-pages crit from their managing editor, John Adamus. He publicly offered help to authors on a particular hashtag, and I took him up on it. He handed back a very honest and thorough critique within an hour. I know nothing about Parvus Press itself, but this person seems to know his editing business -- and he's putting good karma back into the world. That's something.
    WIP 1: A Faraway Sea - MG SF, first in trilogy; querying
    WIP 2: The Fire People - second in trilogy; editing
    WIP 3: These Invisible Stars - third in trilogy; will revisit someday
    Other WIPs: legion