Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Great Titles, Inc. (Tina Tsallas)

practical experience, FTW Writing Jedi's Avatar

Question [Agency] Great Titles, Inc. (Tina Tsallas)

Hi! Does anyone have any experience with this agent, good or bad? I have not had much luck finding solid information about her.

Any experiences or info would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry in advance if she is already mentioned somewhere, but unless I am doing the search feature wrong she doesn't seem to be.

Thank you.
    There is no charge for awesomeness.

"The story can only have one merit: that of making the audience want to know what happens next." E.M. Forster.

Armed with nothing but 26 little letters, I set out to conquer the world.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Where did you hear about her?

Hi, I read about her on a romance author's (I even forget the author) list of agents that are, I think, "approved" by Romance Writer's of America. There was quite a few and most of them I can find at least websites for, but not this one. I would like to get real feedback and I can't seem to find any information?!

The only thing I found was a client that said she wanted to fire this agent because she was pretty ineffectual, but then, that was some chat conversation from 2002 or something and I haven't been able to find out anything else!

So, I'm interested (because of the RWA endorsement) but leery (because of the dissatisfied client) and I don't want to write her off for no reason and I also don't want to chase after an agent who could be a dud.

"The story can only have one merit: that of making the audience want to know what happens next." E.M. Forster.

She wasn't on agentquery and neither was her agency so I don't know.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    ó Albert Einstein

I helped write this!!!!http://www.ibnbattuta.tv/

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Make friends with an RWA member. Or, if you write romance yourself, consider joining RWA.

Meanwhile write to Victoria -- beware@sfwa.org

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Writing Jedi
    Hi, I read about her on a romance author's (I even forget the author) list of agents that are, I think, "approved" by Romance Writer's of America.
    Any idea what it takes to be "approved" as an agent by RWA, according to that website? That may have some bearing on your decision. There's a big difference, for example, between submitting your name as an agent who handles romances, and having verified sales to royalty-paying publishers.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I have some old reports on Tina Tsallas (dating back to 1999) that mention an upfront marketing fee. More recently, I've heard from an author whose representation offer was rescinded when the author asked for Ms. Tsallas's recent record of book sales, and also from an author who felt she wasn't given effective representation.

I can find only a couple of sales for the agency, both to a small Canadian publisher that accepts submissions direct from authors.

- Victoria

Thank you so much, Victoria.

I suppose I will just keep on lookin' then!

Adding links & quotes:

"Guest speaker Tina Tsallas has been in the publishing business for 30 years. Among literary agents, she's a rare breed."
    http://quick-brown-fox-workshops.blo...ingersoll.html

From P&E:
    "12/4/03: "Great Titles does not charge upfront administrative fees or a marketing fee." - Tina Tsallas."
    http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealg.htm

The dynamic duo? (Brian Henry, book editor & literary agent Tina Tsallas)
    http://www.oakvillebeaver.com/arts_a...article/249816

"Tina Tsallas of Great Titles Inc out of Toronto, ex Harlequin employee of 20 years."
    http://writerspace.com/chat/chat041802ww.html

Contact details:
    http://www.karenafox.com/agentlist.htm
    http://www.romantictimes.com/resourc...hp?article=168
    Last edited by nicolesingslave; 01-21-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolesingslave View Post
    "Tina Tsallas of Great Titles Inc out of Toronto, ex Harlequin employee of 20 years."
    http://writerspace.com/chat/chat041802ww.html
    It's worth reproducing the entire context of this quote:

Darlin' - I fired my agent, two editors have had my book for a year, can I approach another agent to bug the editors
    StellaC - Yes, Shey--if everyone who doesn't have an agent just gave up--there's be very little new stuff going to the houses.
    Darlin' - because Dorchester said end of Jan they need another month and now it's mid-April
    StellaC - May I ask who the agent was?
    Darlin' - Tina Tsallas of Great Titles Inc out of Toronto, ex Harlequin employee of 20 years
    StellaC - I'm trying to establish was his/her relationship might have been to houses.
    Darlin' - Cindy Hwang at Berkley didn't asnwer her calls and Tina said Chris at Dorchester is veyr slow
    shey - thanks Stella I'll remember that because I'm not agent hunting yet
    StellaC - Hmm--Tina is a nice woman. Any particular reason forfiring her?
    Darlin' - We hit it off great, but things deteriorated
    StellaC - I understand. If you have another agent on the hook, ask her to follow up. If not, follow up yourself. Don't forget to commisserate over how busy everyone is and how well you understand this.
    Darlin' - I did a lot of soul searching and discussed this with Judith Duncan who's been my mentor for years.
    StellaC - Judith is a smarth and kind cookie.
    Darlin' - she never liked the original contract, she charged me fees, just a lot of stuff
    This might help explain why there's still no sign of recent sales for Ms. Tsallas.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi there,

I've been with Tina Tsallas of Great Titles Inc. since 2005, and she's a fabulous agent! I received a publishing contract with Avon/HarperCollins within eight weeks of signing with Ms. Tsallas. She has a sharp eye for contract clauses, is an aggressive negotiator, and is prompt with her responses to my questions. I can recommend her representation to anyone who writes romance or womenís fiction.

In general, if youíre wary about signing with a prospective agent, ask for references (which currently published authors does the agent represent?). Contact the authors and ask if they are happy with the agentís representation. It will, hopefully, help you make a well informed decision.

Best wishes,
    Alexandra Benedict

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Are you aware of any sales she has made in the last year?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    From a more recent workshop bio: http://quick-brown-fox-canada.blogsp...-november.html

Guest speaker Tina Tsallas of Great Titles Inc. handles a variety of nonfiction and commercial fiction. Her clients include mystery writer Brent Pilkey author of Lethal Rage, historical romance author Alexandra Benedick who most recently published The Notorious Scoundrel, and chick lit author Jackie Pilossoph who most recently published Hook, Line and Sink Him.
    Mr. Pilkey was to ECW Press and Ms. Benedict to Avon, but Ms. Pilossoph was to Blackhawk.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Not finding any activity after '13-ish. Anyone have recent contact?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: