Colin Kaepernick Sits Through National Anthem Last Night

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ITEM:
Colin Kaepernick remains unemployed.

And Panthers quarterback Cam Newton offered support for the former 49ers signal-caller on Tuesday.

"I really think it's unfair. I think it's unfair," Newton told reporters. "Not to take any storm or glory away from this game -- we're trying to find every way to be prepared for the 49ers come Sunday.

"But in my opinion, do I think Kaepernick is better than some of these starting quarterbacks in this league? Absolutely. Should he be on a roster? Absolutely. There's no question about it."

ITEM:
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has seen what quarterback Colin Kaepernick can do, in a couple of postseason games. And Rodgers believes that Kaepernick currently should be gainfully employed by an NFL team.

I think he should be on a roster right now,” Rodgers tells Mina Kimes of ESPN The Magazine. “I think because of his protests, he’s not.”

Rodgers also explained that he understands why some players are protesting during the national anthem, even though Rodgers isn’t inclined to join in.

“I’m gonna stand because that’s the way I feel about the flag — but I’m also 100 percent supportive of my teammates or any fellow players who are choosing not to,” Rodgers told Kimes. “They have a battle for racial equality. That’s what they’re trying to get a conversation started around. . . . I don’t understand what it’s like to be in that situation. What it is to be pulled over, or profiled, or any number of issues that have happened, that Colin was referencing — or any of my teammates have talked to me about. . . . But I know it’s a real thing my black teammates have to deal with.”

ITEM:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Tom Coughlin says the Jacksonville Jaguars weren’t interested in signing free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

“No. We did the study, the research, and we weren’t interested,” Coughlin said Saturday.

Asked to explain the reasons, Coughlin added, “I’m not explaining it.”

Jaguars owner Shad Khan said last week he would be open to signing Kaepernick if the front office wanted to do it. Coughlin, the team’s executive vice president, has final say on personnel decisions.

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers. Many of Kaepernick’s supporters believe the NFL is punishing him for refusing to stand during the anthem in an effort to protest police brutality.

Kaepernick has 72 touchdown passes, 30 interceptions and 13 rushing scores in six seasons — better numbers than Jaguars quarterbacks Blake Bortles and Chad Henne.

ITEM:

Pro Football Hall of Famer and Cleveland Browns legend Jim Brown panned current football players who choose to protest during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner, saying “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem.”

Brown, who fought for social causes throughout his career, told ThePostGame.com he empathizes with jobless quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who began the trend of kneeling during the anthem last season when he played for the San Francisco 49ers. But Brown said Kaepernick and other players who demonstrate – such as a dozen Cleveland players who knelt Monday – are going about their crusade the wrong way.

“I’m going to give you the real deal: I’m an American,” Brown said. “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I’m going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

Kaepernick began to kneel in order to protest what he alleged was an increasing spate of police brutality against minorities. Brown said he wants to be in Kaepernick’s “corner” on the demonstration, but he suggested the act hadn’t been thought through.

“If you have a cause, I think you should organize it, present it in a manner where it's not only you standing or sitting on one knee, but a lot of people that is gonna get behind each other and do something about it,” Brown said. “If I ask you one question: Who is Colin calling on to follow what he's talking about?”

Brown also acknowledged players should try to honor the wishes of the team owners who are paying them millions of dollars.

“Colin has to make up his mind whether he's truly an activist or he's a football player,” Brown said. “Football is commercial. You have owners. You have fans. And you want to honor that if you're making that kind of money…”

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The damn worship of a flag needs to just get out of sports, period. As it exists now, it's just a 3 minute excuse for more commercials for the networks who air the games. Sundays at the announced game time, coin flip and immediate kickoff. End of story.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why have these people never spoken up about Jehovah's Witnesses not standing during the National Anthem?
I confess- I take Bible Study with the Witnesses. Fine people. I think the reason no-one calls them on it is two-fold.
1) No-one notices a few people in the crowd - it's not like the players, who have all eyes on them, and are taking part in a ritual. And, people feel that players are employees - Witnesses don't even take donations.

2) If anyone were to call out the Witnesses on their sitting it out, the Witnesses would explain. Thoroughly. From 'We do not take part in politics' to 'It's worshipping a flag, not God', and on down to 'God's Kingdom is coming, don't you have better things to do with your time?'
In other words, people don't want to start things with those who can and will explain themselves.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bashes Kaepernick. Sucks Up to Nazis.

You keep picking that scab and it's never gonna heal.

President Donald Trump found it necessary to condemn NFL players who protest the national anthem during a rally Friday in Alabama.

While discussing “American values,” Trump blasted the NFL’s television ratings and pinned it on players protesting the anthem. However, he did take some credit for the drop because he believes people would rather watch him.

Trump’s full comments are below:

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out, he’s fired!’ You know, some owner is gonna do that. He’s gonna say, ‘That guy that disrespects our flag, he’s fired.’ And that owner, they don’t know it. They don’t know it. They’re friends of mine, many of them. They don’t know it. They’ll be the most popular person, for a week. They’ll be the most popular person in this country.

“When the NFL ratings are down massively, massively. The NFL ratings are down massively. Now the number one reason happens to be they like watching what’s happening … with yours truly. They like what’s happening. Because you know today if you hit too hard: Fifteen yards! Throw him out of the game! They had that last week. I watched for a couple minutes. Two guys, just really, beautiful tackle. Boom, 15 yards! The referee gets on television, his wife is sitting at home, she’s so proud of him. They’re ruining the game! They’re ruining the game! That’s what they want to do. They want to hit. They want to hit! It is hurting the game.

“But do you know what’s hurting the game more than that? When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they’re playing our great national anthem. They only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it’s one player, leave the stadium. I guarantee it will stop. Things will stop. Just pick up and leave. Pick up and leave. Not the same game anymore, anyway.”

This isn’t Trump’s first stab at the matter. He responded to Colin Kaepernick calling him “openly racist” during his candidacy by saying the currently unemployed QB “should find a country that works better for him.”

Then in March, Trump said NFL owners refused to sign Kaepernick because “they don't want to get a nasty tweet from Donald Trump.”

The NFLPA is reportedly planning a response to Trump's comments from Friday.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm thinking the 0-3 Niners need to bench Brian Hoyer and re-sign Kaepernick. That would be the sports story of the year.

Never going to happen, of course, but it would be a stroke of genius.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kneeling has always been a gesture of respect. Disrespecting the flag would be turning his back on it, or flipping it the bird.

The real problem people have with taking a knee isn't about a desire for universal and unwavering "respect" for the flag. They're angry because those who kneel force them to think about the fact that our POC are not safe from being slaughtered in the streets by police, that due process has often been tossed out the window, that cut and dried cases of police abuse are routinely dismissed by our courts. Football fans want entertainment. They don't want to think about their privilege. Kaepernick made them think about something other than football, and that pisses them off.

Kaepernick has so much respect for the flag that he's asking us to live up to its promises. This is much deeper patriotism than reflexively standing and slapping a hand over the heart.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking the 0-3 Niners need to bench Brian Hoyer and re-sign Kaepernick. That would be the sports story of the year.

Never going to happen, of course, but it would be a stroke of genius.

It would be an admission of how badly they screwed up by signing a journeyman scrub and handing him the keys to the QB job.

I don't care if the 0-3 Niners go 0-16. I really don't. I'm not boycotting the 49ers or the NFL, but I'm not interested in it either. The same way like 49er, Charger and Rams fans aren't.

Today Trump doubled down on his attack but left the profanity out.

“If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED. Find something else to do!”

Then he tripled down and "disinvited" Steph Curry and the NBA champion Golden State Warriors from the traditional White House visit.

"Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team.Stephen Curry is hesitating,therefore invitation is withdrawn!"

Between calling NFL players "sons of bitches" and ripping into the NBA champions, a lot of sports figures ain't havin' any of it.

The only "son of a bitch" that needs to be fired is stinking up the Oval Office. But if he's pissed about ballers takin' knees, I can only guess what he's going to see Sunday.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DJT loathes any black man who has achieved, success, wealth and power. He has worn is racism as a badge of honor for the last 40 years.
White supremacists and Nazis are "very fine people" while Colin Kaepernick is a "son of a bitch".

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
There seems to be a significant difference between the way the NBA and NFL are handling the phenomenon of athlete protesters.

Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, and (white) head coach Steve Kerr have been openly pretty contemptuous of Donald Trump and his cohorts. As has Greg Popovich with the Spurs, and of course, LeBron James with the Cavs.

Now it's true that the Warriors are smack in the middle of perhaps the most liberal section of the country, but I've barely heard a whisper of negative fan reaction here. I'm not sure if there's much difference between the mega rich owners of NBA and NFL franchises, but I'm wondering if there's a difference between basketball players and football players in general, or if there's a difference between hard-core basketball fans vs football fans.

Me, I've pretty much lost interest in watching pro football, but I'm still looking forward to the NBA season. Of course, I've got the Warriors to root for. But more than winning or losing, I just find the games highly entertaining to watch and the athletes truly amazing.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LeBron James responded to DJT on Twitter

U bum @StephenCurry30 already said he ain't going! So therefore ain't no invite. Going to White House was a great honor until you showed up!

Link- Sports Illus.

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me get this straight. A bunch of black guys kneel during the national anthem and Trump says it disrespects the flag. A bunch of white guys made war on that flag, and “Republic for which it stands”, and Trump wants statues and monuments built in their honor.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Kneeling has always been a gesture of respect. Disrespecting the flag would be turning his back on it, or flipping it the bird.

The real problem people have with taking a knee isn't about a desire for universal and unwavering "respect" for the flag. They're angry because those who kneel force them to think about the fact that our POC are not safe from being slaughtered in the streets by police, that due process has often been tossed out the window, that cut and dried cases of police abuse are routinely dismissed by our courts. Football fans want entertainment. They don't want to think about their privilege. Kaepernick made them think about something other than football, and that pisses them off.

Exactly, and most (or at least far too many) white people bat that fact away like an annoying insect when it forces itself upon their awareness, even when it's not done during their entertainment.

It's maddening that a fan base that can forgive players who commit crimes like domestic abuse and the torture of animals loses it over what is, in fact, a very respectful and non disruptive act of protest against social injustice.

Let me get this straight. A bunch of black guys kneel during the national anthem and Trump says it disrespects the flag. A bunch of white guys made war on that flag, and “Republic for which it stands”, and Trump wants statues and monuments built in their honor.

This is what blows my mind about the Right these days. Flag-waving (literally) Nazis and Confederate apologists are "nice people" who are exercising their right to free speech, but black football players who quietly kneel during the national anthem are "sons of bitches" who are disrespecting the flag.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Former astronaut Leland Melvin posted to Facebook an open letter to *45:
I used to walk the grounds of UVA in Charlottesville, VA as a graduate student only to watch in horror as those same grounds became a battlefield being trod by Nazi and anti-Semitic worshippers armed with assault style weapons ready to fight to make America White again. (their words). You actually said there were nice people on both sides. People armed and ready to kill other Americans for the purpose of eradicating Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Mexicans, Asians, Latinas and even the first real Americans, Native Americans to make America Great Again were “nice people”? Verses what you say in condemnation of an unarmed black man peacefully protesting by exercising his constitutional First Amendment rights by silently taking a knee is appalling, unnerving and reprehensible. You called Colin Kaepernick “a son-of-a-bitch.” And said he should be fired. You are basically calling his white mother a bitch. The strong contrast in language for a black man and a Nazi is very telling. Do you have any sense of decency or shame in what you say to the American people that are part of your duty to serve respectfully with dignity, presidentially?

Luciferical

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
PoC are being LITERALLY slaughtered in streets by other PoC by least an additional order of magnitude over that of police. I'd say two or three orders of magnitude.

That kind of hyperbole diminishes (and IMO disrespects) the real problem.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PoC are being LITERALLY slaughtered in streets by other PoC by least an additional order of magnitude over that of police. I'd say two or three orders of magnitude.

So a PoC should not protest against ongoing discrimination by the police and the current POTUS because poverty and crime are also issues in many PoC neighborhoods? :Huh:

Or am I misreading your post?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Precisely what ratio should the PoC on PoC murder rate be before PoC should be taken seriously regarding the Police on PoC murder rate?

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

Police GET AWAY WITH killing PoC - in fact they get away with killing people, period.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

When you say "that kind" what are you referring to? A specific post on AW, your own statement above, or the general idea that police are killing unarmed black men, women, and children in abhorrent numbers? (Even ONE is too many.) And what, exactly, do you believe the "real problem" to be? I'd just like to understand where you're coming from, here.

Also, were the complaint reversed, cops killing unarmed white people in extraordinary numbers, would you make the same argument about white people killing white people in numbers orders of magnitude larger than cops were doing it? (Because they do.) Would you still feel that was a relevant point of argument when discussing the matter with those opposed to police shooting white people dead in the street when their hands are up? Just checking for consistency-sake.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

"Swedes are killing other Swedes" so we shouldn't worry about the Swedes killed by the police because the Police thought the a Particular Swede looked dangerous.

Your assertion is both racist and so profoundly ignorant that I can't even . . . You're not welcome in ACE & H.