Colin Kaepernick Sits Through National Anthem Last Night

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
A significant amount of blame here goes to the Indianapolis Colts' ownership, who invited Pence to the game.
Pence got a permanent invitation to any game he wanted. I don't see any scheming with the WH coming from the Colts. ( link )

As another aside, what was Pence thinking, doing this on a day the Colts franchise thought he was in town to honor Peyton Manning and celebrate his induction into the Ring of Honor? As VP of the country, and as Indiana’s former governor, Pence has a standing invitation to come to a Colts game and watch it from a suite. A few weeks ago he accepted that offer. He claimed a suite just off mid-field.

So much for the Manning thing.

-cb

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone needs to remind him that this is what freedom looks like.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...on-i-wasnt-offended-thats-what-freedom-sounds

Double standards much?

Not to mention Pence didn't walk out on Trump when he disrespected American POWs calling them losers and when Trump disrespected a Goldstar family. Trump, by the way, dodged the draft with a fake disability, such an honorable guy.

Then one has to wonder if this is considered disrespectful to the flag?

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A significant amount of blame here goes to the Indianapolis Colts' ownership, who invited Pence to the game.

caw
Wasn't that a standing invitation? Unless the Colts' owner was in on the stunt I fail to his part being significant.

Some of the local news media, on the other hand, are peeved that Pence's stunt detracted from Peyton Manning's day. Someone in another forum was arguing it was unplanned because it would be expected for Pence to come on the day they were honoring Manning. Apparently he wasn't there for Manning.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The NFL owners will meet next week for the purpose of ending the national anthem protests and changing their rules to compel the players to stand. Or else.:whip::Hail::whip:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a letter to all 32 teams Tuesday that indicated the league has “worked to develop a plan” to respond to players protesting during the national anthem. Goodell wrote that the league could “meet this challenge in a unified and positive way.”

“The current dispute over the National Anthem is threatening to erode the unifying power of our game, and is now dividing us, and our players, from many fans across the country,” the memo, which was published by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, read. Goodell indicated that the NFL would present its plan—the details of which were not revealed in the memo—to teams at next week’s league meeting, where owners could then review it.

The memo was leaked about an hour after CNBC reported that the NFL will consider “a rule change that would require players to stand for the national anthem.” Goodell’s memo seemed to hint at a rule like that, saying, “like many of our fans, we believe that everyone should stand for the National Anthem.”

“The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues,” the memo continued. “We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players.”

In its game operations manual—a document that is not easily found online—the NFL has a policy in place that states that players “should stand at attention, face the flags, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking” while the anthem plays.

It’s unclear whether the current policy gives the NFL the authority to punish players for kneeling during the national anthem. NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart noted the wording of the policy—that it says players “should” stand rather than “must” stand—in a conference call with media members on Tuesday.

This is why guys like Jerry Jones are called "owners." They don't employ their players. They own their players and if you're owned you're a slave. Maybe a million-dollar slave, but a slave all the same.

Bow down.

SandyH

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think it's about our nation not about any individual. He should respect our flag and anthem but find other ways to show his grievances....

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's about our nation not about any individual. He should respect our flag and anthem but find other ways to show his grievances....

Yesterday, I watched another unarmed black man die on video the other day. His name was Patrick Harmon. I've lost count of how many of just unarmed black men I've seen die on video. I've forgotten some of their names, but just the names I remember make a long, long list. Then, there are the black children, like Tamir Rice, and black women, and the hundreds I didn't see on video, but know their stories. And speaking of stories, almost every video death I've watched contradicts the stories of the police officers involved. They shoot black people in the back or give them nickel rides and they lie about it, and they walk free. That's what you're reducing to "grievances."

I am not a "flag pin, hand over heart" kind of American. I love this country, and because I love it, I work to make it better. I've shown my patriotism marching for Trayvon and Tamir and Michael and Sandra, and have written and called and voted and donated and signal-boosted, and nothing has changed, or at least not for the better. I've heard a lot of the same people complaining about taking a knee call every black man, woman, or child beaten or choked or gunned down a "thug" or "animal." And they're also the ones I hear calling for polite, invisible protesting that doesn't change a damn thing. They always have been, no matter the civil rights issue, no matter how far back you go in history.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Name one. Name one, single form of dissent that would be acceptable to you.

Note: The dissent you suggest should be something that actually has an impact. Not "well, you could put a bumper sticker on your car."

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Note: The dissent you suggest should be something that actually has an impact. Not "well, you could put a bumper sticker on your car."

Well, The Nib has a nice starter-set of acceptable forms of protest...

Personally, I'm very uncomfortable with forcing "respect" to a flag. We weren't supposed to be that nation. (But I've been saying that almost continuously since 2016 - we weren't supposed to be that nation to nominate a white supremacist, we weren't supposed to be that nation to officially turn our backs on inconvenient science, we weren't supposed to be that nation to see its own bigotry and racism and elevate them to points of nationalist pride...)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have no use for those people whose "patriotism" extends no farther than the length of the pole on which the wind-tattered U.S. flag waves from its attachment to their car or pickup truck.

The most patriotic public speech in U.S. history was given by Martin Luther King in 1963 at the Mall in Washington, D.C.

caw

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Until the next inevitable "Shit Trump Says" thread opens, this is as good as place for this since Colin Kaepernick gets a shout-out (and personally responded how much he appreciated it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TPjASEUOQ :hooray:

As many here already know, I am such a fangirl that I never have a word to say against this guy, so naturally, I loved it. What was hilarious, for me, was to hear Trump supporters suddenly complaining about "how Eminem talks about women," because that is apparently very important. Meanwhile, how Trump talks about women, in real life, is not.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fight Fire With Fire

Kaepernick ups the ante.

Free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick has filed a grievance against the NFL alleging collusion in relation to his ongoing unemployment. Eventually, we’ll explain what he needs to prove, and what he doesn’t need to prove, in order to show that collusion occurred. For now, let’s focus on what he wants to do.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Kaepernick wants to trigger termination of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Article 69, Section 2 of the CBA allows for the agreement to be terminated prematurely in the event of proof of collusion. Under Article 17, Section 16(c) of the CBA, termination can arise from only one incident of collusion involving only one player if there is clear and convincing evidence of a violation.

The ramifications would be enormous, and historical. Kaepernick could give all players a tremendous piece of leverage, moving up the expiration of the contract by more than three years and forcing the owners back to the bargaining table.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

I just said the same thing to my hubs. It would seem an easy way out of the lawsuit.

That tactic about the termination of the CBA *really-really* ups the stakes here. (Full disclosure, my attorney hubs is giggling with glee at the lawyers finding this relatively obscure clause.) The owners won't want even a hint of terminating that agreement. They tried the replacement player thing, and the replacement ref thing. It never turns out well, and the players are already riled about the flag BS and the owners trying to make kneeling a violation of work rules. Just try it, owners. Just try it.:box:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

I thought the article was going to say they actually called him, but it looks more like wishful thinking on the part of the author.

From the article:

If you’re waiting for the Kaepernick cavalry, you’ll be waiting a long time. Probably forever. “Brett Hundley’s my quarterback,’’ coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. “Joe Callahan is the backup.”

I'm not familiar enough with football to know if the coach has final say in the issue, but it sounds like Kaepernick's quite firmly off their radar.

On the bright side, quotes like that can only help build Kaepernick's case.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
From the article:

I'm not familiar enough with football to know if the coach has final say in the issue, but it sounds like Kaepernick's quite firmly off their radar.

On the bright side, quotes like that can only help build Kaepernick's case.

Mike McCarthy won't have to deal with who his QB is soon because he'll be fired after this year if they roll out Brett Hundley and Joe Callahan as their 2 man QBs. Good luck Mike lol

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The odds are against Kaepernick in proving NFL owners colluded to keep him out of the league.

1. A Primer on the Colin Kaepernick Case
Before embarking on this voyage, we need to understand something. This isn't about what we want to happen, or don't want to happen, or what Donald Trump thinks, or the NFL, or anyone else.

This is strictly about facts and the likely outcome of Colin Kaepernick's grievance against the NFL, claiming collusion among ownership to keep him out of the league.

In short, the chances Kaepernick wins are slim, at best. One former NFL executive I'd trust with my life, and who supports Kaepernick, called his situation "extraordinarily hard to prove, albeit not impossible."

People close to Kaepernick tell me he doesn't necessarily care about the odds. He despises how the NFL treats its players—more like cattle than equals, in his opinion—and wants the system bettered for them. Kaepernick sees this as a fight, and he is a fighter in every sense of the word.

What lies ahead? Let's break down each component in this groundbreaking case:

What's the basis for Kaepernick's case? Kaepernick is asserting that his protests led to the NFL's blackballing him. From a strictly football standpoint, there's no question that something stinks. Look at these names: Keenum, Cutler, Kizer, McCown, Flacco, Manuel, Fitzpatrick, Glennon, Cassel and Hundley, to name a few, are playing.

Hell, you could roll out tape from almost 30 to 40 percent of NFL games every week and see quarterback play that would make John Unitas roll over in his grave. In fact, many of today's quarterbacks couldn't hit John Unitas' grave from five paces.

Owners, players and the union met in NYC with Commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss changing the league's rules to require standing for the national anthem.

Or not.
In the wake of protests drawing headlines across the country, the NFL asked a group of players to attend today’s owners’ meeting. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the owners didn’t ask the player to change their anthem stance.

Asked by Sal Paolantonio if the league asked the players to commit to stand for the anthem, Goodell said that was not the purpose of the meeting.

“We did not ask for that, Sal. No. We spent today talking about the issues that our players have been trying to bring attention to, about issues in our communities to make our communities better. I think we all agree there’s nothing more important than getting back into our communities and trying to make our communities better. That was the entire focus today,” Goodell said.

In other words the owners wanted to find a way to put an end to the protests by the players, but couldn't find a workable one, which means knees will be taken, players will sit on the bench or stay in the locker room, fists will be raised and the protests---which have little to do with Kaepernick's original intent to call attention to police brutality---will go on.

The unemployed signal-caller was invited to attend by several players, but declined saying he didn't want to be a distraction. I think Kap missed an opportunity to confront the men who are keeping him out of the league.

The NFL's lack of closure prompted a furious Tweet from the SOB who called the players SOB's.

"The NFL has decided that it will not force players to stand for the playing of our National Anthem. Total disrespect for our great country!"

Oh, fuck your race-baiting bullshit. :flamethrower

This from the guy who says previous presidents didn't call the families of fallen soldiers and went 12 days before saying a damn thing about the four soldiers killed in Niger. This from the guy who threatens to pull the plug on aiding Puerto Rico where the power is still out and people are draining water from Superfund sites because they don't have any clean options.

This from the guy who sends his boot-licking veep to stage a walk-out at the 49ers/Colts game and waste over $200,000 in taxpayers money. This from a guy who calls the protesting players "sons of bitches" but White supremacists who drive cars into crowds, "fine people."

Beat goes on.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Though he might have enjoyed seeing Goodell wear the face of humility in person, I'm guessing Mr. Kaepernick's attorneys would be all Big No to off-the-record meetings.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy to be typing this:

Colin Kaepernick reportedly gets $1 million book deal

The Colin Kaepernick story still has a few chapters left in it, but he already has been given $1 million to write about his experiences. The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, who was the first NFL player last year to stage protests during the national anthem, has reportedly landed a book deal with Random House.

That's according to the New York Post's Page Six, which reported Tuesday that Kaepernick's book will be published by One World, a Random House imprint. Page Six had reported Monday that Kaepernick was shopping a book to New York publishers and taking meetings at his talent agency, WME.