Adblockers and Absolute Write revenue: Am I Evil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate internet ads. I hate the pop-ups, pop-under, scroll through, and boy, do I hate those damn Donald Trump "LEADING THE WAY" banner ads that follow me around the web including Absolute Write.

I happily deploy adblockers in my Firefox browser and Trump's fugly smile is banished from my line of sight. All is right in the world as the bees buzz, the hummingbird hums and the woodchuck chucks.

On the other hand...

Websites depend on the banner ads including this one. I'm super annoyed by the Trump ad, but if it helps keep the lights on, am I allowing my petty annoyances to cost the site cold hard cash?

I probably wouldn't be blocking the banners if they were Hillary "I'm With Her" ads, but maybe that's just my liberal hypocrisy kicking in...

So...am I evil? :evil:evil

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I hate internet ads. I hate the pop-ups, pop-under, scroll through, and boy, do I hate those damn Donald Trump "LEADING THE WAY" banner ads that follow me around the web including Absolute Write.

I happily deploy adblockers in my Firefox browser and Trump's fugly smile is banished from my line of sight. All is right in the world as the bees buzz, the hummingbird hums and the woodchuck chucks.

On the other hand...

Websites depend on the banner ads including this one. I'm super annoyed by the Trump ad, but if it helps keep the lights on, am I allowing my petty annoyances to cost the site cold hard cash?

I probably wouldn't be blocking the banners if they were Hillary "I'm With Her" ads, but maybe that's just my liberal hypocrisy kicking in...

So...am I evil? :evil:evil

You're not Evil. But you can use Google Settings to control what you see in ads, to some extent.

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en

https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/authenticated

More importantly, turn off third party cookies. AW doesn't use them. They're data collecting demons.

Some banks and libraries do use third party cookies, so remember to turn on third party cookies for them.

Regarding supporting AW, you can contribute via PayPal (paypal AT absolutewrite.com) -- or see the Subscription button at the very bottom of the page.

You can buy something via the Amazon Store link at the top of the site (Read Books by AWers) and AW gets a percentage of the price; we won't know YOU bought whatever, just that someone did.

You can buy Scrivener through the Scrivener button at the bottom of any forum page.

You can continue being a helpful member of the AW community, which is the most important thing of all.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Appreciate the info. I'll get to work on those settings.

Pretty sure I made a contribution to AW thru Pay Pal several months ago, but I don't know if I got any acknowledgement. I'd probably have to go back and check my statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.