Cover feedback for Contemporary Fiction book

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the blurb: (thanks!)

It’s the last chance for law intern Mary Maloney. She’s flunked the bar exam twice and if she fails again she’ll lose her law internship, her home and what’s left of her self-respect. Things haven’t been made any easier by her boyfriend, Tom, breaking up with her to spend six months in Thailand following his dream to be a professional golfer. Alone and lonely, Mary falls under the sway of her high-powered attorney boss. She realizes too late that she's fooling herself—her boss is just a player, and besides, her heart still beats only for Tom.

Now Tom charges back into the picture. He’s seen the light and swears undying love and devotion. Mary’s thrilled! Life is definitely on the upswing. There’s just this one little troubling detail—she hasn’t had her period in months.

She slept with her boss only once after a New Year’s Eve party in a Miami penthouse. But she’s a runner—runners miss periods all the time. No, she couldn't be pregnant. She’d swear to it in a court of law. It has to be the case because Tom’s from a strict Italian Catholic family, where abortion or a child out of wedlock are absolutely unforgivable sins.

And ready or not the bar exam is barreling down on her. How will she conquer it with so many influences scattering her attention? Or is she facing an even bigger test?

q44hbpsd51cpf9f6g.jpg

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought, is you need to do something about the fonts. They are generic. My second is, I am not fond of the image of the girl mainly because the way her hair is, it looks like she has huge scars going across her face. Maybe it is because I am tired right now though. :tongue

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Glass Valkyrie's comments. But what I can't stop my eyes going to is the statue looking up the woman's nostril. I don't think having both your images centred together like that is working for you, sorry.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
1) Fonts lead me to conclude suspense/thriller, not romance
2) Statue of Lady Justice leads me to conclude court drama subgenre
3) Random pair of images overlapped at truly odd relative perspective leads me to conclude amateur cover designer.

Get a romance font, an image of a golf pro, and some haze. Seriously. Romance covers are formulaic to a fault, and you aren't in the formula.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought, is you need to do something about the fonts. They are generic. My second is, I am not fond of the image of the girl mainly because the way her hair is, it looks like she has huge scars going across her face. Maybe it is because I am tired right now though. :tongue

Thanks Valkyrie. Never thought of the hair as scars. Did seem them as a distraction of sorts. Appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Glass Valkyrie's comments. But what I can't stop my eyes going to is the statue looking up the woman's nostril. I don't think having both your images centred together like that is working for you, sorry.

Thanks Linda. I agree about the nose thing. I'll do something about that.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
1) Fonts lead me to conclude suspense/thriller, not romance
2) Statue of Lady Justice leads me to conclude court drama subgenre
3) Random pair of images overlapped at truly odd relative perspective leads me to conclude amateur cover designer.

Get a romance font, an image of a golf pro, and some haze. Seriously. Romance covers are formulaic to a fault, and you aren't in the formula.

Thanks Kevin. Yeah, you're right about the genre. This book really is a romance, but it's not a formula romance. It's more like a romance written by a non-romance writer. I've been wanting to re-do all my covers with an eye toward consistent branding. (That's why this one has a suspense font--and rather inappropriately.) I'll be able to do them all except for this one. All the books have romance elements but they are all more action than romance. This one is more romance than action. Maybe I'll publish it under a different name and then do the different fonts. Or maybe I'll just shelve it. Appreciate the feedback.

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others that the font doesn't match the story. You need something a little softer. A little swoopier and maybe in a softer off-white(or light gray) as opposed to stark white.

Also, the woman is faded but the statue is in full saturation. I feel like this should be flipped based on the law part of your story is more of an element and not the central focus

I wouldn't pick this cover out as a romance. Stick a guy over each shoulder, one in golf gear, the other in a suit. Or overlay a pregnancy test as the down strokes of the Ts in the title.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Font's fine, lose the outline/shadow. At no point does your font have to reflect your story (i.e. scripts for romance) your font just has to communicate the name of the story and your name. What you should do is give the letters a bit more space. When typesetting uppercase characters, you want to give them much more space than normal running text. Like many covers I see on this forum, you just have too much going on. Choose a single image rather than have two layered over each other. An image of Lady Justice is an effective one, not least because it all seems to be about lawyers, so you can stick with that (maybe choose an image that is more level, the one you have looks very much like a "from the ground" photograph"). There's no harm in your cover not looking fully like a romance, in fact it could work in your favour that it is distinct from other similar stories.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like snc84's suggestion. Everything on the cover should reflect the genre and the story.

When I read the blurb, I got a chick-lit feel rather than romance.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others that the font doesn't match the story. You need something a little softer. A little swoopier and maybe in a softer off-white(or light gray) as opposed to stark white.

Also, the woman is faded but the statue is in full saturation. I feel like this should be flipped based on the law part of your story is more of an element and not the central focus

I wouldn't pick this cover out as a romance. Stick a guy over each shoulder, one in golf gear, the other in a suit. Or overlay a pregnancy test as the down strokes of the Ts in the title.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks snc.

- - - Updated - - -

Font's fine, lose the outline/shadow. At no point does your font have to reflect your story (i.e. scripts for romance) your font just has to communicate the name of the story and your name. What you should do is give the letters a bit more space. When typesetting uppercase characters, you want to give them much more space than normal running text. Like many covers I see on this forum, you just have too much going on. Choose a single image rather than have two layered over each other. An image of Lady Justice is an effective one, not least because it all seems to be about lawyers, so you can stick with that (maybe choose an image that is more level, the one you have looks very much like a "from the ground" photograph"). There's no harm in your cover not looking fully like a romance, in fact it could work in your favour that it is distinct from other similar stories.

Thanks gtbun

- - - Updated - - -

I like snc84's suggestion. Everything on the cover should reflect the genre and the story.

When I read the blurb, I got a chick-lit feel rather than romance.

Thanks Southpaw