Deadly earthquake rocks central Italy; at least 38 dead and toll expected to rise

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2-4d62-81ea-c4d23aad288c_story.html?tid=sm_tw
Rescue workers scrambled to reach survivors buried under rubble in isolated towns and villages across central Italy on Wednesday after a 6.2-magnitude earthquake and a series of strong aftershocks struck the region overnight, collapsing homes, rattling buildings as far away as Rome and Venice and leaving an escalating toll of dead and injured.

At least 38 people were killed in the mountainous heart of the country, Civil Protection Department spokeswoman Immacolata Postiglione told reporters in Rome. But another official with the agency, reached by phone, called it a "temporary number" that may yet climb. She said authorities were still trying to assess the large number of injured but were focused now on saving lives.

My thoughts go to Italy and the Italians. I also worry because this is Volcano-country. I don't know the tectonics of the place, but I don't think earth-quakes in Italy come from tectonic plate activity. It's volcanos. I hope it's not related to that.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Sergio Pirozzi, the mayor of the devastated town of Amatrice in the province of Lazio, told RAI that residents were buried under the debris of collapsed buildings.

“The town isn’t here anymore,” he said.

Half of my old friends from college live in Rome and the surrounding areas... please be okay. Please be okay. Please be okay.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Half of my old friends from college live in Rome and the surrounding areas.

It's 150 km to Rome. If anything had happened in Rome, the news would have been dominated by that.

I know Rome's fine, and I know where Lazio is. I also know where my friends have moved over the years (hint: I quoted the bit about Amatrice). I know others in L'Aquila, and there are several more who I know are somewhere in Lazio, but I couldn't tell you which town.

I'm going to assume the best and, as it's difficult to read tone, hope your post was meant to be reassuring, rather than condescending and dismissive as I first interpreted it.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
And a 6.8 in Myanmar. Looks remote, so fewer casualties (so far). I'm a little bit creeped out.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
While I have been quoted as saying that, of all the natural disasters, earthquakes are the ones I would most prefer to have...this still doesn't change that they're NATURAL DISASTERS.

I hope this is as bad as it gets for Italy.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
And a 6.8 in Myanmar. Looks remote, so fewer casualties (so far). I'm a little bit creeped out.

I hope they can ship into both locations some people experienced with rescue and emergency treatment in the wake of an earthquake. My thoughts are with the folks in Italy and Myanmar, and you, Tazlima.

Robj, explain why you are creeped out please?

Marilyn

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This was a strong, but not gigantic quake, in terms of energy release. The problem, as it often is in many areas, is building construction. Stone/masonry buildings are death traps in even moderate earthquakes, and that is the cause of virtually all the casualties in this one. Italy is located in a very active tectonic region, and quakes are to be expected there.

caw