A high-value rejection

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've just received a lit journal pass on a story I've been sending out for a few months, that I've realised over time (without making any significant edits) is a little 'thin' overall. The amazing personalised feedback they've provided has confirmed my vague suspicions AND helped me to pin them down:

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]'This is very well written. I especially admire how the writer is able to show and intimate without over writing. My only uncertainty pertains to the quality and depth of the characters' problems: can the writer focus a bit more on what exactly the characters' struggles are (besides Alex being a possible alcoholic, and general melancholy)? If we had a better sense of their problems, then the cats' comfort would mean more.'
[/FONT]

How generous is that? I'm feeling quite inspired now![FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]

[/FONT]

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, you :) And yes, that is wonderfully useful feedback.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
The best response to my writing was a rejection I got from The New Yorker, where the editor wrote me a single spaced full page letter praising my skill as a writer even while saying the piece I submitted was not right for them. I followed up with several others that didn't make the grade either. But I've kept the letter ever since, even had it laminated.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
In stead of spending time telling us or anyone about that rejection, you need to be writing and sending out more stories right now. A rejection like that means your an inch and a half away from selling something.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
James, you're absolutely right - I've got a couple half-finished that I'm keen to power on with now, plus I'll be tightening up the rejected story and sending it out on another round. A few of my favourite markets will be opening up again in the next few weeks too, which is exciting. Thanks, everyone :)