• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Betas Required for Final Draft of Military-Horror Novel (158,000 Words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbriannova

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the long title. I am entering the final phases of the editing of my novel, Pulau Purba (Might possibly be renamed following some posts that changed my life here: I'm thinking either The Keeper of Pulau Purba or The Base at Pulau Purba). I will need some beta readers. I need to know if the length of my novel is justified, if there are ways to shorten it, and most importantly, if it is worth reading ;)

Basically, my novel is centred around a writer main character who has been called to serve out his military reservist duties. He has been transferred to a new island base at Pulau Purba. While it means being able to enjoy the company of his buddies of the uniform and an old friend from his early National Service days, he hates the overall experience for what it is doing to his writing routine. However, all his worries are being swept aside slowly, as people started acting strangely, even becoming violent, their personality changed. Something is coming, something ancient, and it threatens everything that Alex Kee ever cared for.

xbriannova

Registered
Reaction score
If it's any comfort I might have identified a chapter for deletion, its over-long content to be downsized significantly and absorbed into another chapter :D I predict that I might be able to shrink the novel down to 155,000 words.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, xbriannova. I would love to help you with this. Perhaps we could swap as I am 2nd/3rd drafting 3 novels and need help finishing. But your premise sounds like fun. Do get in touch.

ghostface320

Registered
Reaction score
Hey you wanting to swap? I have 60k of an in-progress novel of military horror as well (set in Vietnam). Would love some eyes on it and more than willing to check out your story!

Status
Not open for further replies.