How to avoid spoilers when writing a sequel

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a sequel to my first mystery. How important is it to avoid spoilers about the first book, so that the suspense remains for readers who don't read books in order?

For example, Book 1 features a mystery character whose identity is dramatically revealed. He reappears in Book 2. For someone who reads out of order, the big reveal in Book 1 will be spoiled. Should I just forge ahead and not concern myself with spoilers?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. Usually people like me who care about spoilers won't read the second book first. Those who do have only themselves to blame. So do what you need to make the story work.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Don't worry about it. In fact, for those who haven't read Book 1, you might want to include some important elements from the first book in order to make sure they're caught up. Not a full summary, but when a prior event is important, give it a mention.

A.E.Fisher

The first draft of anything is shit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jesuisley.com
Don't worry about it. In fact, for those who haven't read Book 1, you might want to include some important elements from the first book in order to make sure they're caught up. Not a full summary, but when a prior event is important, give it a mention.

100% recommend this route. make sure you avoid the trap of summarily explaining the first book--it may be someone's choice to read out of order, but that doesn't mean you have to include all of the details. Just enough to get you set up for book 2 is enough.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, for people like me who sometimes read out of order (not always by choice!), having some info about the first book would actually help me get caught up. I wouldn't be bothered by spoilers, because it's book 2!

Meaning the events from book 1 has already happened, so readers reading the sequel shouldn't be complaining about spoilers of things that have already passed and happened, especially if the events build upon each other and affect future events.

If characters are affected by the events or mention the events, then it would not make sense for the author to keep those events secret if they already happened.

If some readers are worried about "spoilers" from book 1, then they should not read book 2. If they want to know about book 1, then they should read book 1.

It would be annoying to me as a reader if an author were to purposely hide references from past events, especially if past events are very important to the character developments and overall story arc(s).

R Lindsey

Registered
Reaction score
I am a beginner so take this for what little it's worth. If the villain and your main character have a history you need to give a backstory. But that does not mean it has to be a spoiler and the descriptive introductions can be reduced. Maybe only say that they had a run in once before where the villain was trying to "take over the world" but that does not have to say "how they were attempting to do so" or "how they were thwarted". Or perhaps just mention that the villain received a nasty scar or the need to use a cane when they last met. Hope this helps.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how one would do it with a mystery.

Mine's a duology, two separate stories with a bridge between them. If you read book two first, you'd know the ending to the first book. But the journey getting there is the story, not the final resolution as my books are not in the mystery genre.

If your second book is a continuation from the first, maybe put a paragraph after the title page warning readers about the spoiler and directing them to book one..

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Well, if they're reading book two, then they'll probably expect some spoilers to be present. (I have a habit of reading books out of order, and this doesn't bother me at all). That being said, just because the reader knows the gist of what happens doesn't mean they need all the juicy details. One of my favorite steampunk series by Kady Cross is good at this (and I read her books out of order). You know who the big bad guy is from the book before, or that a certain character was killed and now one of the characters feels guilty, but the author doesn't delve into the details about how it happened. Thus, when I read the previous book, it was still exciting, even though I knew a certain character was going to turn out to be the bad guy or was going to die.

Edit: Now, the part I still haven't figured out is how to avoid major spoilers when writing back cover blurbs for sequels. That's the part that's currently tripping me up.

Last edited:

Mud

Erm...what was the question?
Registered
Reaction score
Package book one to be sold with book two.

In any event book two should stand on it's own without an explanation of 'the story so far'.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
What Miranda said. Not reading a story in order, is like tuning into a movie halfway in and complaining about spoilers when they rewind and watch from the start later. It makes no sense not to read a multipart story in order. Just make sure whoever is responsible for your cover design, that it says that this is a sequel, and write the story in a way it works.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
What Miranda said. Not reading a story in order, is like tuning into a movie halfway in and complaining about spoilers when they rewind and watch from the start later.

Yes, this.

Or like watching a random later episode of a tv series (especially if it's part of a story arc) and then complaining about characters mentioning past events or about the flashbacks and recap moments, etc...

The past shapes us and defines us, and shouldn't be ignored or hidden.

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Inkstainedwench (Love the name!) :)

I just finished book 2 in my series and it's loaded with spoilers. I prefer when they come naturally from the events, rather than a re-cap. In my case, the two stories are closely connected, and similar to you, it's the bad guy from book one back to torment.

I've read other serials, where the same detective handles a new case each book. I prefer not to be re-capped in those instances. If it naturally occurs in the events, fine, but "last week I was almost killed by X, and had to do Y, to finally arrive at Z" then as you read the story, you realize you DID NOT have to know that.

Happy writings in your new book!

corvinTX

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ink-
If I am reading something I am interested in and it alludes to something that happened in a prior work, that drives me to stop reading and go BACK and get the first work. So just write the story as it needs to be with whatever information you already know--it might interest people in going back to the first book.

I'm working on a sequel to my first mystery. How important is it to avoid spoilers about the first book, so that the suspense remains for readers who don't read books in order?

For example, Book 1 features a mystery character whose identity is dramatically revealed. He reappears in Book 2. For someone who reads out of order, the big reveal in Book 1 will be spoiled. Should I just forge ahead and not concern myself with spoilers?