Hello from Missouri

Lily.M

Bleeds Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
esymessmith.com
Hello! Checking in for the first time (after many months of creepily creeping...) Not sure where to begin, but eager to meet new people! I've spent most of my writerly socializing time on the NaNoWrimo forums for the last few years, but recently been getting itchy feet. I am English-born (Devonshire) went to uni in Aberystwyth (Wales) and then moved to Missouri after meeting my now-wife on Tumblr (through fanfiction) It's been a chaotic journey, but during it I have kept sane by writing a series of YA fantasy novels, the first of which is finished-finished and out to agents, and the second is in 2nd draft stage. I have dabbled in freelance editing and ghostwriting, but have found my happy place working in a Menchie's store which gives me enough time and headspace to keep up with writing in my free time. It's a good sort of life :)

Anyway, very excited to be here and get stuck in with critiques!

Thanks for having me,

Esme

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Lily.M

Sounds like a very productive journey so far. Good luck with the first novel.

You are sure to find a wealth of advice and constructive critique for the revision process.

- - - Updated - - -

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Nightender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Missouri too! While I don't write much on YA, I want you to keep at it. Be sure your first book in the series can stand on its own. Right now that seems to be the best way to start things.

Lily.M

Bleeds Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
esymessmith.com
I'm in Missouri too! While I don't write much on YA, I want you to keep at it. Be sure your first book in the series can stand on its own. Right now that seems to be the best way to start things.

It definitely does, don't worry! Agent-Lady said she especially liked the ending (which I was worried about because eek endings) But yeah, it's both self-contained and a push off into the series. Thank you for the welcome! What're you working on?

Last edited:

Nightender

Registered
Reaction score
It definitely does, don't worry! Agent-Lady said she especially liked the ending (which I was worried about because eek endings) But yeah, it's both self-contained and a push off into the series. Thank you for the welcome! What're you working on?

So glad things are working well for you, especially since you have Agent-Lady in your employ!

I'm sending out letters on a science fiction novel, about to edit a dystopian/future noir novel, and have been writing a little on a dark fantasy serial.

David Smiley Writes

David Smiley Writes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidsmileywrites.tumblr.com

Endings are hard for me for me. I often know the story has to conclude, but I just never want them to.

Lily.M

Bleeds Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
esymessmith.com
So glad things are working well for you, especially since you have Agent-Lady in your employ!

Haha I wish! Still waiting to hear if I'm going to get taken on (keep your fingers crossed for me!) but apart from waiting-hell, things are pretty okay. Wow sounds like you've got a lot of projects on the go! I'm hopeless at working on multiple stories. I have one fic that I dabble in when my mind is too fuzzy for The Real Novel, but apart from that I'm a hopeless case. How do you manage it?

Lily.M

Bleeds Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
esymessmith.com
Endings are hard for me for me. I often know the story has to conclude, but I just never want them to.

I find that to be the most satisfying part -- when you can foresee the final scene and you're working towards it. I finished the first draft of the last book in my series, and the ending just had me bawling. It felt very final and finished. Now beginnings... They're the real problem!

Nightender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a chronic multitasker.

Honestly, I'll work on things in stages. I can send query letters on days before night shifts or when I'm off the whole day. If I'm coming off a day shift, I can't send letters, but I might be able to pull off some typing or a bit of editing.

I know what I can do when I'm under different levels of real life strain. Being able to match that with my creative pursuits is really helpful. To be honest, I've only started figuring it out that well.

I sound like I'm doing better than I am, but not by much.

grandma2isaac

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Lily! Sounds like you have things pretty well in hand. I spend a lot of time creeping through the threads, especially when my writing-mind is in a fog of confusion. It helps clear me up and sometimes answers questions I hadn't asked as of yet. Good to know you.

Locke581

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome.
May your words always flow free.