AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Stage 32

Cool Stage 32

I couldn't find a thread here, so I thought I would start one about Stage 32: https://www.stage32.com/home/

I am a novelist who is fairly new to screenwriting, and I am finding that I love it, maybe even more than writing novels, mainly because I have always loved movies and everything about them.

One of the best resources I have discovered so far is Stage 32. I stumbled on it by accident when I was researching places to send out my sci-fi/horror screenplay. After completing a script based on one of my own books a couple of years ago, I began sending it out.

The rejections piled up quickly. My agency at the time (Trident Media Group) did not represent screenplays and still doesn't. I began researching agents, managers and producers in Hollywood. I even tried a few actors. It was like pounding on a 20-foot-thick concrete wall. Not only was I not getting through, no one could even hear me.

I found some sites like Ink Tip, Virtual Pitch Fest and others, and they were all good, but I didn't feel that I got anything for my money with any of them. Stage 32, however - different story. I have gotten more accomplished with them in a few weeks than I have in the last two years. InkTip did help me craft a better logline/synopsis, but that was about it. I never hooked up with anyone on there or on Virtual Pitch Fest. I never tried Black List because everyone said to avoid them, so I did. I also entered several contests, at over $50 a pop, and didn't even make semi-finalist. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I have read a buttload of top-notch screenplays from major Hollywood productions and my screenplay holds its own with any of them.

Within the first week, I had pitched two or three producers/managers/agents etc. at $30 a pop on Stage 32 and began getting script requests. I don't know if industry people take them more seriously or what, I just know that I was getting results.

Fast forward a month or two and several rewrites, and I now have a screenplay being reviewed by one of the producers at the Dino de Laurentiis Company. Before Stage 32, I couldn't even get anyone to read my logline, let alone the entire script. And I am an author with several traditionally-published books. But with every rejection and every letter of feedback, my screenplay gets better and better as do my chances.

Anyhow, this isn't a paid ad for Stage 32 - I just really like them. Anyone who wants to get ahead in the industry and has no contacts, I definitely recommend them.
    Last edited by popgun62; 08-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

I've been a member of Stage 32 for years, and I've made some good contacts through them. I can also recommend the I.S.A. site for screenwriters; that's how I got my short film produced.

That said, like any networking site, you'll really only get out of it what you put in. You can't put up a profile and hope someone knocks on your door. Producers and directors--people who have the ability to get movies made--have people coming to them. They [usually] aren't out looking for more (of course there are exceptions to every rule).

And while the pay-to-pitch can work wonders if you hit the jackpot, it can also add up quickly. I advise people to be selective. I've gotten a lot of reads through them but, even after one script was optioned, things can always fall through. (That one option did, unfortunately.)

I've heard some good things about Stage32 as well, but anything on the web needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

It's always a surer bet to sleep your way to the top whenever you can. It's not 'what you know'...it's 'who you blow'.

Mostly harmless SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinky_dau View Post
    It's always a surer bet to sleep your way to the top whenever you can. It's not 'what you know'...it's 'who you blow'.
    I won't ask you to name names, but how often did you do this, and did you find it helped your screenwriting career?

-Derek
    The Sunday night Flash Fiction Challenge! Write a story in 90 minutes! If you dare.
    The challenge is open all week, all welcome. Check out FFC forum (password=flashed)
    This week's intrepid authors who dared: Jason, feyngirl, me.

My web page! Published short stories & novellas,
flash stories, Sci-Fi webcomics, omg screenplays too, lol
Does the excitement never end?!

Quote Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
    I won't ask you to name names, but how often did you do this, and did you find it helped your screenwriting career?
    -Derek
    Sorry, I was just being facetious there. What I mean is simply that any personal contacts you develop yourself, are always better than any website. By hook or by crook, develop personal references. Whether its a friend of a friend, someone you meet at a bar or a party, someone your cousin met at a wedding once...do everything you can to develop those leads.

Of course, I'm sure that sleeping one's way up also helps. Not saying anything against that either.
    Last edited by dinky_dau; 10-22-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Mostly harmless SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    lol I was being facetious too, couldn't resist. Can't argue with personal contacts and leads, I've heard that said often.

-Derek
    The Sunday night Flash Fiction Challenge! Write a story in 90 minutes! If you dare.
    The challenge is open all week, all welcome. Check out FFC forum (password=flashed)
    This week's intrepid authors who dared: Jason, feyngirl, me.

My web page! Published short stories & novellas,
flash stories, Sci-Fi webcomics, omg screenplays too, lol
Does the excitement never end?!

Quote Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
    lol I was being facetious too, couldn't resist. Can't argue with personal contacts and leads, I've heard that said often.

-Derek
    You have a salacious sense of humor, then. Bravo. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by dinky_dau View Post
    I've heard some good things about Stage32 as well, but anything on the web needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

I hear you about the websites. Believe me, I've been writing professionally since 2006, so I know there are a lot of scams out there. Luckily, I have managed to avoid them. All I can say is that I have met some amazing people through Stage 32 and made some great contacts inside the Hollywood industry. I have paid for many of their webinars and script coverage services, which are provided by producers, executive directors, heads of story departments - people I have heard of or whose credentials can be easily verified by an IMDB or Google search. Many paid services such as Blacklist and others provide feedback by unknown "script readers." I like getting it straight from the source.
    Author of high-octane sci-fi, fantasy and horror!

www.tobytatestories.com Amazon

practical experience, FTW Henri Bauholz's Avatar
    I am a member of Stage 32 and have had good initial success with them, but as of present I have not optioned or sold anything. Lately, I have not sent anything out because I am tight on money, but I still consider them the best online option for promoting promoting movie scripts. You pay 30 to 50 dollars to have a film professional read your logline and if they decide to take the script further, there is no additional charge. I had one screenplay that got taken in by a development company and came back with a complete analysis.