Judge in Rio issues search warrant on Ryan Lochte after robbery report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this goes in sports or current events.

Judge demands Lochte's, Feigen's passports over Rio robbery report
(CNN)A Brazilian judge has issued a search and seizure warrant for US Olympic swimmers Ryan Lochte and James Feigen as questions emerge about their account of being robbed at gunpoint early Sunday in Rio de Janeiro.

Police arrived Wednesday morning at the Olympic Village to take the swimmers' passports and gather further testimony from them about the reported robbery, US Olympic Committee spokesman Patrick Sandusky said.
But the athletes were not there. ... But Lochte, one of swimming's biggest stars, has already left Brazil and returned to the United States, his attorney Jeff Ostrow told CNN.

This is weird. The first thing I thought hearing the initial report was, were corrupt cops responsible? Now I wonder if the judge wants to quash the incident, investigate the police or actually investigate a false report?

The men's stories weren't the same. That's normal. They still had their cell phones. Not sure cell phones are always a lucrative target. I can't imagine a reason to make the story up.

What am I missing? Anyone here from Brazil that can shed more light on this than we get through our filtered news?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just before the games a New Zealander had a similar tale of being shaken down by what seemed to be the military police. After he reported it to the other arm of the police who promised to keep it to themselves, the military police turned up to his apartment the next day, but were not allowed in.

So, yeah. I wouldn't want to trust that branch of the police much. Is it them or people pretending to be them... or both?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, it sounds like these clowns got into a fight and made up this bullshit story to cover it up.

I get the sense that Ryan Lochte is an utter tool.

Ryan Lochte and three other US Olympic swimmers lied about being robbed at gunpoint to cover up a brawl they had with a gas station security guard, authorities said Thursday.

Brazilian authorities have video of a brouhaha involving American swimmers Ryan Lochte, Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen and a rent-a-cop, ABC News reported.

At least one of the swimmers can be seen fighting with the security guard and one of the Americans was shown breaking down a bathroom door during the melee, according to ABC.

“One of the swimmers was seen on CCTV footage breaking down the door to the bathroom at the gas station and fighting with a security guard” on the night of the incident, a Brazilian police official said.

When the US swimmers first reported the incident, they were too drunk to give even the most basic details — such as the number of robbers, ABC reported.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
:popcorn:This is truly stranger than fiction. This is from the AP. They got drunk, they tore down a gas station bathroom door, Lochte told his mother he was robbed at gunpoint, she told reporters, then it's all over the Interwebs, so officials start an investigation.

Even Bob Costas said last night, "We'll bring you the latest on the very strange Ryan Lochte story."

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am getting that same sense, as well. Especially since he quickly skipped town and left his buddies to fend for themselves.
I don't think leaving had any connotation to it. He left before anything was known about the warrant. These guys were done with their events. They would have individual plans at that point.

From the news conference:
There is a news conference right now and it looks like no crime was reported to the police. The Rio police are responding to the social media report. Looks like they damaged the bathroom, didn't want to wait for police and made a payment for the damage. Since no false police report was filed, I'm not sure what the final outcome will be.

They have noted it was the military police involved. I think the military police may be under tighter control not to shake people down, especially related to the Olympics.

Apparently making a claim of a crime might be illegal even if only in social media. No jail time is likely.

The security guard was afraid of retaliation which is why he didn't come forward and he does have a legal gun despite the fact people keep claiming there was no gun. It sounds like Lochte was being a drunken jerk.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
From what I have seen the military police the the ones most often accused of shakedowns--which is why you would probably choose them to make up a bogus story.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I have seen the military police the the ones most often accused of shakedowns--which is why you would probably choose them to make up a bogus story.
That it was military police came from the news conference, not from the swimmers.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I don't think leaving had any connotation to it. He left before anything was known about the warrant. These guys were done with their events. They would have individual plans at that point.
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/18/12528300/ryan-lochte-robbed-rio-brazil-swimming-details

[FONT=&quot]Lochte cut his time in Rio short and instead flew back to the United States earlier than originally planned. He posted a photo on Snapchat declaring he was back on US soil.[/FONT]
Apparently, people at the IOC knew the story was bullshit early. I think it obvious that Lochte got some legal advice--he has been around the block, after all--and left as soon as he could. He was back in the US on the 16th, but he probably left on the 15th. Ten will get you twenty he went to the airport early on the 15th when he realized the proverbial shit was hitting the proverbial fan.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a lot of assumptions, robeiae. I'll stick with, he acted like a drunken jerk because it's on video and the police suggested it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He also fucking lied his ass off on national TV, no? That goes beyond being a drunken jerk, which he could have accepted and then offered an apology.

Then he hopped a plane, leaving two of his much younger teammates to take the heat.

I'm not sure where, exactly, my "awful lot of assumptions" are.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly surprised Lochte could come up with a semi-coherent tale to begin with, though I suppose one of the others could have thought it up. I love that he called to give his mom an excuse. How old are you?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Status
Not open for further replies.