Writing/Blogging myself into a new job/industry?

maximal

Registered
Reaction score
I joined an online writing challenge to give myself a kick in the pants. I want to write about FinTech (financial technology). I'm studying so that I can become a researcher this industry. The sector is dominated by people who don't look like me, and I thought writing as I learned could give me a little edge. So, I thought I'd start a blog. That has been a nonstarter because I can't decide on an audience based on my experience level. I don't know anything!

I've considered writing a 'basics' series for newbies, opinion pieces on industry happenings, and I am brainstorming other types of pieces. I do not want to write a personal blog about the process of learning because I don't think that fits with being a mature student. Have you written your way into a niche successfully? How did you define your audience? What do you think I should keep in mind? Is it possible to under/overthink this? I...I....uh, Thank you!

Also I am new. Be brutally gentle.

Last edited:

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
You said you want to write about financial technology but that you don't know anything. So, what gave you the idea to write about it in the first place?
Is it something you want to pursue a career in? Are you preparing for college and is this a major you're considering? Are you within range of a place that hires people with this level of expertise and could you schedule a reverse interview with one of them, to find out more?

I don't know if you'll blog yourself into a new job. You and about ten million other bloggers want to do that, but that doesn't mean a blog can't be a useful tool for education and marketing.

maximal

Registered
Reaction score
So, what gave you the idea to write about it in the first place? Is it something you want to pursue a career in?

Yes. I have a little experience in the financial sector, and basic tech/analysis skills for research. Now lookking volunteer and gain experience. My strongest skills are in research and writing, which is partly why I want to blog because it gives me confidence and makes the knowledge solid.

Are you preparing for college and is this a major you're considering?

I'm a mature student who has returned to university for this purpose. I'm in my final year applying for a related Master's degree, enrolled in a related certificate program and teaching myself to code. Seeking volunteer opportunities where I can build skills as well.

Are you within range of a place that hires people with this level of expertise and could you schedule a reverse interview with one of them, to find out more?

Yes. I was thinking I could also blog about it :D

I don't know if you'll blog yourself into a new job. You and about ten million other bloggers want to do that, but that doesn't mean a blog can't be a useful tool for education and marketing.

Agreed, so I'm hoping if anyone has done it successfully, I can glean some wisdom from their experience - especially if they 'started from the bottom, now they're here'.

maximal

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wait a minute NateSean - were you asking about my 'why' as in my motivation for interest in the subject (I thought you meant why I want to blog, specifically)? I thought about my 'whys' today and spent a good deal of time thinking, rethinking and coming to a place where I think I've found things to write about. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Marilyn I'm going to look for more posts like this. It helps me to feel confident about my choice.

handsomegenius

Registered
Reaction score
Various kinds of financial copywriting have comprised the bulk of my freelance copywriting work over the past year.

Not that that it sounds like you want to be a copywriter exactly - I'm just making the point that if you can write well about money stuff, there's definitely work there.

Being able to write clearly and authoritatively dry and technical but highly commercial topics is actually one of your best shots at being paid well to write. There's a lot of money at stake in these messages, and also there are just far fewer people who can write well on these topics. That's true not just for copywriting, but writing manuals, internal correspondence, all sorts of stuff.

So yeah, it sounds like a good skill to start practicing, if you want work in this field.

Also start participating in online discussion forums where the people you'd like to work for are hanging out. Because your blog's no good to you until the right person sees it.

You can also just hyperlink to your website content when you write a cover letter for a job. But it's way better if they're coming to you :)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Also start participating in online discussion forums where the people you'd like to work for are hanging out. Because your blog's no good to you until the right person sees it.

Don't discount LinkedIn, either - it's one of my favorite places for prospecting. Find groups likely to include potential clients in your industry/niche, and participate. LI has become a great place for networking with business people, in an environment where being somewhat self-promotional is expected instead of frowned upon (like most discussion forums).

handsomegenius

Registered
Reaction score
Don't discount LinkedIn, either - it's one of my favorite places for prospecting. Find groups likely to include potential clients in your industry/niche, and participate. LI has become a great place for networking with business people, in an environment where being somewhat self-promotional is expected instead of frowned upon (like most discussion forums).

If you can find a LinkedIn group that's not just self-promotion, then sure! :)

If there's genuine conversation happening there, then it's an ideal place to be visible.

But being "promotion friendly" can be a double edged sword.

Sure, you get to push your stuff. But so does everyone else. And that can crowd out any real discussion.

I've found that the best industry-based discussion forums to be involved with, are those with hard limits on promotion.

Ideally, you want to show people that you know your stuff. Rather than tell them. That's how you build rapport and trust with people and establish yourself as a credible authority.

I have landed some of my biggest clients this way.