• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for first 50 pgs of 1920s Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm back after such a long time, but I don't have steady betas, so I can't do much about that. Thank you to the Absolute Write community for all your help so far, and I hope I can reach out again!

This is for a 91K fantasy. If you're interested, please PM me. I'll send you the first 50 pages, and you can decide from there!
I decided I'd rather just someone go through the first 50 pages~~everything else is the same

Short Description:
A witch escapes to the city from where she was held after being kidnapped as a child, ends up in a fallen club that's a front for assassins for hire. Takes place in a Harlem Renaissance inspired world.

Query:
The White Wax Witch takes the little magic girls that get a little too curious.

Fifteen years after she was kidnapped, Zora arrives in the city to find her childhood home is now a preserved museum exhibit. Everyone in Wheldonton knows the story of the poor Toomers who lost their daughter to the White Wax Witch—a daughter that probably died a long time ago.

But Zora isn't dead.

She's just…different. And a Northside nightclub named The Blackbird understands those differences. She was out to find her parents before something after her came after them, but now she's without a home. Even if it's rumored to be a whorehouse, its conspiratorial matron gives a convincing invitation, and Zora joins their company, strings attached.

She would have had better luck at a brothel. It turns out The Blackbird is a front for assassins-for-hire, but only if the bidder has enough political clout to keep the laws under the matron's clutches. Now Zora's roped into much more than just finding her parents, and hunted by demons other than her past.

THE RISE AND FALL OF THE BLACKBIRD is a 91,000 word fantasy novel set in a mix of Gotham and the Harlem Renaissance.

As usual, I'm not looking to swap but also as always I'm willing to beta something for you at a later date! I have a lot of experience, and occasionally a quick turn around.

Thanks,
~Sami

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.