Registered
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Several of the countries in your first link never had a choice about existing. They were violently forged, over overtaken by other countries or political leaders, so it's tough to gauge them in relation to Great Briton, who voted this upon themselves. They agreed to be part of the EU and now decided to leave it. Many people not even understanding what a 'Leave' vote meant, or how it would affect GB.

Scotland is very vocal about wanting a new Independence vote since Brexit. If that happens they will lose a decent sized part of their overall economy.

If those remaining in the EU boycott GB, it could seriously damage GB and cause economic collapse, which they might not be able to recover from.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Several of the countries in your first link never had a choice about existing. They were violently forged, over overtaken by other countries or political leaders
*snip*

Actually, I think pretty most of them fall into that category. And yes, I do think that's a bit different.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that most countries fall into the category of created by conquest. My thoughts are from the pov regarding socioeconomic consequences of the global economy. North Korea is one example of a country failing economically like the USSR. China was a bit of a surprise to me.

Other thoughts:

I think the US example citing social unrest is a bit stretched but interesting.

The video was fairly accurate on Great Britain's potential, given the time span between the video's creation vs the UK vote.

The Maldive example is different since it faces an Atlantis type demise of rising oceans, but it still represents a variation of global change.

I was a bit surprised Quebec didn't show up on the hypothetical list.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think what is going to be a large factor is GB's success if they do follow through with leaving the EU is how they are then treated by the EU. If they are isolated and boycotted it will be financially devastating. Losing economic cooperation, trade and tourism may be insurmountable to recover from. Negotiating new trade deals with EU nations could put GB on the losing end with high tariffs and fees.

According to Bloomberg leaving the EU could seriously damage GB's trade options with Asia, given their need for new trade pacts and Asia Governments brokering deals best for them not GB.

Link 1 Bloomberg GB and Asia

Link 2 GB trade options after Brexit.