Cover Feedback for Fantasy Short Story? - Finalized! Thanks for the help!

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT 7: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

EDIT 6: Final Choices at Post #45. :-D

EDIT 5: Updated Proof (V6) at Post #36

EDIT 4: New Variations at Post #28

EDIT 3: New Variations at Post #23

EDIT 2: New Variations at Post #9

EDIT: I added a second variation, which has a bit more of a border around the top and a different font. Let me know which you like better, and your thoughts about each. Thanks! :)

I've been working on a fantasy short story that's set in the same universe as my The Wishing Blade series (see my avatar), but it's a stand-alone, focusing on a different region with different magic.

I plan to publish it on Kindle.

This is the cover I've come up with this far, and I was looking for feedback. Does the font work (debating on changing it). Is the cover eye-catching? Does it feel "fantasy" enough? What does it make you think of?

The title is tentative, as is the wording about it being a short story.

V1

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW.jpg

V2

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V2.jpg

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer version 1. I wasn't sure about the text, but the text in ver. 2 is too rigid and normal--if you know what I mean. I like the color gradient and the webbing. It doesn't scream fantasy.

Do you have a blurb, just so we can inundate you with suggestions. ;)

Last edited:

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any way you can get the text from Ver 1 onto the cover of Ver 2? I like that Ver 2 has darker colors and seems more ominous, but the text on it isn't the greatest.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
This is what it looks like with the first font and the second background (with a tiny tweak to the brightness):

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V3.jpg

Blurb, uh... well, let's see if I can throw one together real quick. It's still in progress, but hopefully this will give you an idea of the story.

In the world of The Wishing Blade, everyone is born with two strings of magic. One strand is life, and the other is death. Very few can manipulate them.

Among the Cantingen Islanders, children are tested for that very ability during the first rites of magic, a ceremony which determines what magic they have and their future as mage. But when Edyli's little sister, Akymi, dies in an accident before those rites can occur, Edyli does the unthinkable. She uses word magic to return Akymi to the living, and subsequently finds herself in a land of web-like strings and a strange law of physics... the afterlife.

Edyli refuses to give up seeing her sister's first rites. With the help of a goddess and sheer determination, she has every intention of seeing her sister once more, even if it means incurring the wrath of the goddess of the dead.

Thanks for taking a look, both of you! :-D

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
To be honest, it doesn't look like a fantasy cover. It more resembles a general fiction, maybe a thriller or even a science fiction story, but not fantasy. Just my take.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad necessarily, but it just doesn't seem to fit the genre very well. Neither the font style nor the graphic background.

On the other hand, for a cover and given the title, it kind of works. I favor the first one though, because the font is a bit less generic.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the darker colors. I dunno how to make it more fantasy. I do like it as is, but I was thinking to push the fantasy a little you could add a few dew drops on the web--not a lot, and not very big, and then give them a slight sparkle or "sunburst effect." Or just make parts of the web a little glowy. There is a little of that in the top right corner. At least that's something to play with.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
What if you took your cover image from Magic's Stealing and got rid of the character? You could change the colors, maybe change the image size a bit, and have the version 1 font superimposed on top of it, perhaps.

Just throwing an idea out there. It might give it more of a fantasy feel, and it could possibly even help with branding. And you probably already have the image. :)

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a non-fiction book, like a medical book or something.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT 5: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

EDIT 4: Final Choices at Post #45. :-D

EDIT 3: Updated Proof (V6) at Post #36

EDIT 2: New Variations at Post #28

EDIT: New Variations at Post #23

It looks like a non-fiction book, like a medical book or something.

You know, someone on Twitter told me the same thing. So... this doesn't seem to be working.

What if you took your cover image from Magic's Stealing and got rid of the character? You could change the colors, maybe change the image size a bit, and have the version 1 font superimposed on top of it, perhaps.

Actually, the current image is pretty much what you're suggesting, minus the bowl and with the addition of the strings. I guess I could try it without the strings, but then I'm worried it would look even less fantasy than it does now.

I like the darker colors. I dunno how to make it more fantasy. I do like it as is, but I was thinking to push the fantasy a little you could add a few dew drops on the web--not a lot, and not very big, and then give them a slight sparkle or "sunburst effect." Or just make parts of the web a little glowy. There is a little of that in the top right corner. At least that's something to play with.

My attempts to do dewdrops failed miserably, but I did add a starburst/dewdrop effect to the web.

To be honest, it doesn't look like a fantasy cover. It more resembles a general fiction, maybe a thriller or even a science fiction story, but not fantasy. Just my take.

... I favor the first one though, because the font is a bit less generic.

All right, I think I need to try a different style. I am going to try using a less generic font.

So... Take two. This is what I've come up with. Changed the font a bit, and digitally painted the new figure. Not sure if it looks professional enough, but how's this?

Version A (colors based on previous cover)
SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_A.jpg

Version B

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_B.jpg

Version C (slightly darker version of B)
SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_C.jpg

or

Version 4 (different text and starburst effect on web)

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V4.jpg

Version D(same as Version A, but no facial features)

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_D.jpg

Thanks for all the help! :-D

Last edited:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I actually like version D, but that's because the features make the protag look very young, like early teens. It does have more of a fantasy feel now. :)

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I actually like version D, but that's because the features make the protag look very young, like early teens. It does have more of a fantasy feel now. :)

Thanks for the input! :-D

The character is actually supposed to be one of the goddesses that the protagonist runs into, but I can see how having no facial features makes it more ambiguous. I don't mind that at all, if it's not off-putting to readers. :)

I also started wondering if the current face option looks too peaceful, where as the goddess in the story is far more stern.

Alary

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like it much better without the character. But then again, I almost always think characters on the cover look cheesy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. (If I had to pick one of the ones with the character, I'd pick C, but with the eyes, mouth and nose removed with the rest of the shading intact.) The font change between Stone and String looks awkward to me, though. I think you did it to give a stone-like effect to the word stone, but personally, I think it looks unappealing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for D. In the first one in the OP, I don't like the lettering because my eye reads 'siring' instead of string, the t and the i look too similar. So the lettering in your last batch is definitely better.

I prefer the character. A face would be fine but maybe not the one in versions A-C. Otherwise faceless is good. The character adds to the picture without being specific enough to imprint on the reader's mind, another argument for faceless. I agree with Alary that you have to be careful with characters. But for me, it's not cheesy so much as it gives me an impression sometimes as strong as the synopsis and it can be a turn-on or a turn-off.

Last edited:

satisverborum2003

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chantalravens.wordpress.com
I like version 4 the best. It has a nice contrast and I like the starburst effect on the web. If I was to choose the one with the character, it would be D . However, I would like it if the face was a bit more defined.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I really like version D the best, though I feel the "A short story" font text should either be a different font and/or be moved just a bit. Something feels a bit amateur about that part of the font.

To me, I think if that text part can be adjusted just a little bit, then it could look like it really does belong to the cover instead of clashing with the character. Or maybe shorten it to "A Wishing Blade novella" to help make more room.

Also, totally random and if you don't mind my asking, I'm wondering why is the goddess on the front and not the protag? (Maybe it's just me, but I usually see protagonists or love interests on the front of the covers that do have characters.) Is it a YA story?

ETA: Another vote for keeping it faceless, if you want to keep the cartoony character. The other versions with the faces don't look as professional.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like any of these, sorry. It definitely looks like Fantasy now, but it looks like it got thrown together on Paint. Sorry. But if I had to pick one, I'd pick A. The font is very strange though, how the font changed on the second and third row of the title. I know many titles use different fonts, but there's no reason for the change (no emphasis of a specific word, etc.), except maybe just because to have differing fonts. Try changing the ALIGNMENT of the fonts, so they're more overlapping, or changing font sizes of the words (like the first letter). I liked the Stone font, but the String font is not very flattering.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Have you considered using a stock photo of a brown-skinned woman in a similar outfit? The art isn't quite working for me (and obscuring a PoC character's face is a cover trend I have a strong dislike for) but the font treatment is strong, and I feel like it would go very nicely with a colourful stock photo. Ostill has a very nice stock photography of Arabic models in belly dancing gear, this is a nice collection of an Arab lady in a purple headscarf, this has a nice protagonist-y feeling, and you can find many more using keywords like "Muslim headscarf purple".

I do worry that, overall, focusing on the woman in your cover is going to send off the wrong signal about your book. Most readers will assume the figure on the cover is the protag -- is your main character a PoC, at least? If not, readers looking for PoC main characters might be negatively surprised.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I like the direction of D, but I don't care for the image. It's doesn't match the style of the background, which makes it look pieced together.

Last edited:

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Lose the image. The background texture is fine, though it could stand to be darkened some. Don't mix typefaces in the same series, i.e. two or three different ones within the title. I would stick with standard serif fonts, as you had in a previous iteration. It may not look like a fantasy book, but most fantasy books look pretty rotten. I would drop the size of the byline "short story from, etc" and place it at the top in one line. And have the same typeface across the board. Be careful of drop shadows, they rarely look anything but horrid. If you're losing definition in your text, consider making the shadow or using a glow that is the same colour as the background but slightly darker. I don't know whether you have the technical capability to do that, i.e. InDesign, but it's the option I would choose. Though darkening the background somewhat as I suggested might also relieve the need to a drop shadow on the text.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
The first one more vivid.
EDIT 2: New Variations at Post #9

EDIT: I added a second variation, which has a bit more of a border around the top and a different font. Let me know which you like better, and your thoughts about each. Thanks! :)

I've been working on a fantasy short story that's set in the same universe as my The Wishing Blade series (see my avatar), but it's a stand-alone, focusing on a different region with different magic.

I plan to publish it on Kindle.

This is the cover I've come up with this far, and I was looking for feedback. Does the font work (debating on changing it). Is the cover eye-catching? Does it feel "fantasy" enough? What does it make you think of?

The title is tentative, as is the wording about it being a short story.

V1

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW.jpg

V2

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V2.jpg

Thanks for any feedback! :)

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I also agree with Emaree about using stock photo imagery, since that is what many YA (and many adult SFF) tend to have when it comes to having a character in front, but I wasn't sure if the OP wanted that or had any stock photo images.

Thinking on it, Sibbib, isn't the Version D concept similar your avatar book cover? That avatar cover looks better than the cartoon image cover, and, it looks like it may have a photo image.

Like Emaree said, it would look better with stock image (or maybe an excellent realistic character painting).

I'm still curious why the protagonist is not on front. Like I said earlier, most YA and adult SFF usually have the protagonist or protagonists on from if they the types of covers to include any people on the cover at all.

Last edited:

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
Also, while we're at it. Lose the caps in the author name, have it all small caps (small caps always look better than their bigger counterparts for some reason).

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
EDIT 4: Cover has been finalized. Thanks for the help! :-D

EDIT 3: Final Choices at Post #45. :-D

EDIT 2: Updated Proof (V6) at Post #36

EDIT: New Variations at Post #28

Ooo, boy. There's a lot to go through here. O_O

All right. I've read through everything (though I'm sure I've missed something), and responded below under the new proofs (The +1 character mentions are notes for myself). I tried to pick out what to start with, and the result is several different cover variations. I took a few of these to my local writing group, got more feedback, and created one other variation.

Note: In the case where I used stock images, I used the comp images from Dreamstime. A licence will be purchased if I decide to use a particular image in the final cover.

V5

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V5.jpg

V6

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V6.jpg

V7

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V7.jpg

V8

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V8.jpg

V9

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V9.jpg

V10

SBibb%20-%20CantingenShortCover_AW_V10.jpg

Personally, I like it much better without the character. But then again, I almost always think characters on the cover look cheesy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. (If I had to pick one of the ones with the character, I'd pick C, but with the eyes, mouth and nose removed with the rest of the shading intact.) The font change between Stone and String looks awkward to me, though. I think you did it to give a stone-like effect to the word stone, but personally, I think it looks unappealing.

+1 for no character. Also, I changed the font so it's all one way or all the other.

Another vote for D. In the first one in the OP, I don't like the lettering because my eye reads 'siring' instead of string, the t and the i look too similar. So the lettering in your last batch is definitely better.

I prefer the character. A face would be fine but maybe not the one in versions A-C. Otherwise faceless is good. The character adds to the picture without being specific enough to imprint on the reader's mind, another argument for faceless. I agree with Alary that you have to be careful with characters. But for me, it's not cheesy so much as it gives me an impression sometimes as strong as the synopsis and it can be a turn-on or a turn-off.

+1 for character, but better face, or faceless.

I like version 4 the best. It has a nice contrast and I like the starburst effect on the web. If I was to choose the one with the character, it would be D . However, I would like it if the face was a bit more defined.

I've redefined the face. Probably still needs work, but maybe it looks better? I tried merging some of the best of V-4 with V-D.

I really like version D the best, though I feel the "A short story" font text should either be a different font and/or be moved just a bit. Something feels a bit amateur about that part of the font.

Also, totally random and if you don't mind my asking, I'm wondering why is the goddess on the front and not the protag? (Maybe it's just me, but I usually see protagonists or love interests on the front of the covers that do have characters.) Is it a YA story?

ETA: Another vote for keeping it faceless, if you want to keep the cartoony character. The other versions with the faces don't look as professional.

+1 Faceless character, if keeping drawn character.

Moved "A short story font" in all cases. Also tried shortening it.

I think I chose the goddess initially because I could picture her looking more "fantasy" than the protagonist, and thus got the idea for her, first.

Magic's Stealing is lower YA/Upper MG, but I think the style of the writing in this story is leaning toward adult. I could be wrong, though, as I'm not the best judge of age category.

I don't like any of these, sorry. It definitely looks like Fantasy now, but it looks like it got thrown together on Paint. Sorry. But if I had to pick one, I'd pick A. The font is very strange though, how the font changed on the second and third row of the title. I know many titles use different fonts, but there's no reason for the change (no emphasis of a specific word, etc.), except maybe just because to have differing fonts. Try changing the ALIGNMENT of the fonts, so they're more overlapping, or changing font sizes of the words (like the first letter). I liked the Stone font, but the String font is not very flattering.

Changed the fonts so they don't change mid-title. Also played with the alignment and such. Did this for both the stone font and string font, though I focused on string.

Have you considered using a stock photo of a brown-skinned woman in a similar outfit? The art isn't quite working for me (and obscuring a PoC character's face is a cover trend I have a strong dislike for) but the font treatment is strong, and I feel like it would go very nicely with a colourful stock photo. Ostill has a very nice stock photography of Arabic models in belly dancing gear, this is a nice collection of an Arab lady in a purple headscarf, this has a nice protagonist-y feeling, and you can find many more using keywords like "Muslim headscarf purple".

I do worry that, overall, focusing on the woman in your cover is going to send off the wrong signal about your book. Most readers will assume the figure on the cover is the protag -- is your main character a PoC, at least? If not, readers looking for PoC main characters might be negatively surprised.

I considered using stock, but initially avoided it because I was trying to avoid putting much money into the story (since I'm not sure how much of a market there will be). However, I think I can find stock for under $15.00, so it is an option. I've started the search, and put together a couple covers, but I'm worried they lost the fantasy look and look more like they're specific to India. Also, I'm worried that the current model poses don't fit the tone of the book. I may continue the search, however.

Pretty much all the characters in Stone and String are POC, so I'm hoping that won't be a negative surprise.

So, I like the direction of D, but I don't care for the image. It's doesn't match the style of the background, which makes it look pieced together.

I attempted to smooth out the two images so that they mesh together better. Not sure it's quite the right effect, and I may abandon that image, but I also did more work on the image itself.

Lose the image. The background texture is fine, though it could stand to be darkened some. Don't mix typefaces in the same series, i.e. two or three different ones within the title. I would stick with standard serif fonts, as you had in a previous iteration. It may not look like a fantasy book, but most fantasy books look pretty rotten. I would drop the size of the byline "short story from, etc" and place it at the top in one line. And have the same typeface across the board. Be careful of drop shadows, they rarely look anything but horrid. If you're losing definition in your text, consider making the shadow or using a glow that is the same colour as the background but slightly darker. I don't know whether you have the technical capability to do that, i.e. InDesign, but it's the option I would choose. Though darkening the background somewhat as I suggested might also relieve the need to a drop shadow on the text.

Changed the title font to one single font. Tried a couple different image, but not particularly happy with either. May search for more stock options. I'm fairly certain I want it to look fantasy, though, so I'll probably continue playing with the different typefaces that have more of a fantasy look. I've tried a few covers without the drop shadows, and one with.

The first one more vivid.

I've tried playing with different color options, including a few more vivid, like the first.

I also agree with Emaree about using stock photo imagery, since that is what many YA (and many adult SFF) tend to have when it comes to having a character in front, but I wasn't sure if the OP wanted that or had any stock photo images.

Thinking on it, Sibbib, isn't the Version D concept similar your avatar book cover? That avatar cover looks better than the cartoon image cover, and, it looks like it may have a photo image.

Like Emaree said, it would look better with stock image (or maybe an excellent realistic character painting).

I've attempted to make the character in D more realistic, and played with making it more similar to the style of the book in my avatar (which does use a photo image).

Also, while we're at it. Lose the caps in the author name, have it all small caps (small caps always look better than their bigger counterparts for some reason).

Tried this, but one of the typefaces uses pretty much the same image for small and large. I did play with this idea on a couple of the covers, though.

*Flop.* Thanks for the help, everyone! If I don't respond for a few days, it's probably because I'm trying to wrestle with stubborn cover design. :)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the new ones, the face looks worse and the character looks cheesy.

The lettering and the background work in the last one, but it also works in D from earlier.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hmm. This is a tough one. Of the new batch, my favourites are V6 and V9 -- but I share you concerns that the stock images might be misleading about the tone, and they're definitely not hitting the 'fantasy' notes enough.

Out of all your options, V6 is hitting the right notes: it's one of the cheaper options, it signals 'fantasy' a lot more than the others, and it looks the most professional.

Considering your budget constraints (which I should have been more mindful of, apologies) I think you would be better sticking with a text-only cover like V6. But then again, you might be able to find some free stock that suits your purpose -- run a few searches on the Deviantart stock section, there are some very nice photos there. One example (free for commercial use but donations appreciated), another (credit required, no other restrictions). Be sure to read any rules by that artist and contact them if you're unsure. You can search the stock section here.