Libre Office?

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
Does anyone here use Libre Office? It's open source, I try to use as many OS programs as I can, but I'm eventually gonna have to go back to Word.

I can't get the spell check to work and it's also doing some other bizarre things.

Has anyone else had the Spell Check problem, and do you know how to fix it. Their help page did not help.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Open Office (which is the other end of the Y formed when LibreOffice and Open Office split) and it, too, has spellcheck problems. The upside is, there are websites that walk users through solutions which work. Have you looked for help online?

FWIW, at Open Office when you do an update you lose the link to the dictionary, but the websites tell you how to make a new one.

Edit: BTW, I don't mean I used Open Office's own website for help. What I found was about Open Office but did not belong to them.

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
I've tried a lot of the help forums. What fixes it, sometimes, is if I save it as a rich text document and reopen it. But, this hasn't been working lately either.

English is my second language, I have to have a spell check. I guess I'll try to dig a little deeper into Google's search parameters.

I'll come back and post my answer if I figure it out.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please do. For every person who posts about a problem, I always assume there are many more who have it but did not post.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here use Libre Office? It's open source, I try to use as many OS programs as I can, but I'm eventually gonna have to go back to Word.

I can't get the spell check to work and it's also doing some other bizarre things.

Has anyone else had the Spell Check problem, and do you know how to fix it. Their help page did not help.

I suggest a nuke-and-pave clean install. That is, remove every single file associated with Libre Office, including preference files. (Keep your own documents).

This may help: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/28986/how-do-i-uninstall-libreoffice/

After you Uninstall, shut down your computer, completely. Wait 90 seconds, then reboot.

Re-install Libre Office.

I suspect that you may have a corrupted pref file associated with Libre Office. This can cause all manner of oddities.

And it's a fairly safe and simple thing to try.

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
I suggest a nuke-and-pave clean install. That is, remove every single file associated with Libre Office, including preference files. (Keep your own documents).

This may help: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/28986/how-do-i-uninstall-libreoffice/

After you Uninstall, shut down your computer, completely. Wait 90 seconds, then reboot.

Re-install Libre Office.

I suspect that you may have a corrupted pref file associated with Libre Office. This can cause all manner of oddities.

I'm going to give it a shot. Because I have tried working with it for another three hours today, to no avail. :Headbang:

Thank You!

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com

Re-install Libre Office.

Guten Tag,

I appreciate your help. :Headbang: It didn't work, though. When I hit F7 the SpellCheck box pops up and says "Spell Check Complete"

At the top is a drop down bar that says Text Language The field is set to [None] When I try to select one --for instance: English [USA]-- the bar recycles to [None]

If I go to: Tools.options. Language Settings. Writing Aids There is a field for Check Spelling as you Type. I've checked it and reset the application a hundred times. I'll type in something abnormal lkasjdflkjakldjakldjal ,and it will Capitalize the first letter in the sentence for me, as far is its concerned though, that is perfectly legible language.

I'll probably ante up and pay for some software

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Guten Tag,

I appreciate your help. :Headbang: It didn't work, though. When I hit F7 the SpellCheck box pops up and says "Spell Check Complete"

At the top is a drop down bar that says Text Language The field is set to [None] When I try to select one --for instance: English [USA]-- the bar recycles to [None]

If I go to: Tools.options. Language Settings. Writing Aids There is a field for Check Spelling as you Type. I've checked it and reset the application a hundred times. I'll type in something abnormal lkasjdflkjakldjakldjal ,and it will Capitalize the first letter in the sentence for me, as far is its concerned though, that is perfectly legible language.

I'll probably ante up and pay for some software

Hang on.

What OS are you using?

What language is set as "your" language in the OS preferences/settings?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It's always helpful to know the most basic details. We can't make well-informed suggestions without enough information. Uninstallation processes are different for different operating systems. And there may be files left behind in many cases. I've found remnants after scorched-earth uninstalls in both Windows and Linux.

Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
Just to maybe stamp this thread CLOSED.

I never did find a solution. I tried restore points, running every clean-up utility I knew (like CCleaner & Malware Bytes.) I tried editing one of the API's with the help of a link. Uninstalling the app. And with everything I do, the issue seems to get worse.

I wish I could have produced a more productive thread, but I just went with Open Office. If someone else starts experiencing the same issue that is what my advice to you would be.

:e2hammer:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't use Open Office but I would recommend Libre Office , It has a spell check that works OK . Not as sophisticated as some but If you what a basic word possessor, it does the job , and it,s free

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.ihateyouall.com
There is a little tab on the bottom of the bar, below the body of the texts itself. It's not in tools or options, it's at the bottom of the very window you're typing in.

If you click it, a language selection tab appears. Mine was set to "Unknown." All of the options you select in "Tools," and "Dictionaries," and "Language Settings," mean nothing if you don't set that little tab. Which is kind of frustrating if you ask me. If you set those options in tools, I don't see why they fail to take effect if you click save.

But no dictionary takes effect unless you set it on the bottom task tray.