• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

A Room of Her Own Foundation

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
I stumbled across a grant opportunity from the Room of One's Own Foundation. The Foundation was started in 2000, and provides women with the time and money to create. I'm very interested in applying for this grant, but I'm wary because I'd rather not spend the time (and small amount of money) to apply if it's a scam. Have any of you heard of this foundation and/or grant? If so, is it legit?

Thanks!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Some links or other identifying information would make it easier to locate the exact organization you're referring to.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like visitors have to go through their counter page first: http://www.aroomofherownfoundation.org The $50,000 grant is paid over two years.

I'm bothered that they present statistics out of context, with the obvious expectation they'll be interpreted to mean those numbers are low for women because they are women and no other factor. Smack of fostering a "victim" mentality, IMHO.

But, that aside, I think the big question is: Have you heard of the past recipients? http://www.aroomofherownfoundation.org/giftfreedom_pastrecip.html

A sculptor, a poet, and this essayist:

The Gift of Freedom will allow Meredith to complete a collection of personal essays [entitled Without A Map] which have already caught the attention of a major publisher. She plans to submit her collection for publication in June of 2005. [Will be pubbed by Beacon Press in 2007]
Here's one I presume will be included (to give an idea of what they consider grant-worthy): http://www.creativenonfiction.org/thejournal/current/28hall.htm

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah...I'm a bit wary about this the more I think about it (and the less I seem to find about it outside of the website itself). There are lots of grant opportunities, and I don't want to take any risks with my career.

I agree with you about the victim mentality. A foundation like this should be breaking down that mentality, not fostering it. After all, that's what Woolf was trying to achieve.

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I discovered a funding opportunity through A Room of Her Own Foundation, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. If so, is it legit? How can I find out (other than hoping someone responds here) whether this is a real opportunity or a scam?

I look forward to your insights.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.aroomofherownfoundation.org/home.html

I've been on a tretreat to Ghost Ranch as well. It's a lovely place.

Are they legit? They appear to be. Why not undertake the application and see what the particulars might be.

They have actually GIVEN the award several times.

Regards,
Scott

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, here's where we've talked about "A Room..." before: <link snipped>

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole, what has changed since the last time you asked this? (see CaoPaux's post)

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I filled out the application and wrote the four essays required and it was HARD! I mean you have to write one that is a response to one of three quotes taken from the Virginia Woolf book and that one I was tearing my hair out to write because it's so maddening to think about the oppression women had to live under back in Miss Woolf's days. I had that book in my purse for over five months and just could not read it past chapter two, it was just too inciteful for me and I really want to win the grant and use it to launch my career.

It isn't an easy thing to do I'm sure and goodness knows how many applicants there are, I just hope that they get my application package all right and that they like what I have written. The deadline will be passing soon and I have no idea how long it takes for their decision to be made but it's worth a try in my book. ;) What other grant opportunities are there out there for us aspiring authors? I remember Mathew Lesko had mentioned getting a ten thousand dollar grant to write a novel, but after getting his book from the library I was unable to find that particular grant information.

AROHO might look like it enforces/encourages a victim mentality, but I think that they just want people to think about what it was like before the women's rights movement. I really hope that they are open to all kinds of people and that they receive my disability awareness committment as worthy of endorsing. I haven't heard of any of the past recipients though and wonder why they haven't done something in the past few years since they are listed on the webiste and all, you'd think they would have done something noteworthy and gotten published by now, well except for the sculpter, she is using it to help finance her art of a different kind.

I think the only one published is the essayist...Anyway, I just wanted to sound off that I am really excited to think that who knows? This grant just might make all the hard work I put into the application process worth it. It could happen, or it might not, I leave it up to God above to determine whether or not things will work out the way I would like them to, but it's sure a lot of fun day dreaming about being chosen for it. Did you go for it and get an application in IrishScribbler? :)

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
This is a very legit and well-respected organization. The fellowship, I can assure you, is not a scam and probably well worth the effort of entering if you want to take the time and effort (but it's not easy-the above poster is right!). The only drawback is that the fellowship is EXTREMELY competitve. Also, as with most "literary" organizations, their bias is toward literary rather than, say, genre writing. In other words, if you're an MFA graduate and love writing in the tradition of Virginia Woolf, you might have a fair shot-otherwise, probably not.

But...winning this competition is an excellent credential and can only be a plus for anyone's writing career.

As for many claiming they have not heard of the past recipients...keep in mind that most who enter this competition, like the biggest majority of us, are struggling writers trying to get established. You probably will not have heard of most of these people-yet-because as we all know it takes time to establish a writing career and a literary reputation. There would be little reason or incentive for an established "name" writer to enter a competition like this, so therefore the emphasis on having heard of the past winners doesn't seem to me a strong logic on which to base the merit of the competition. Most of these women are just getting their careers established.

Last edited:

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
blackbird said:
This is a very legit and well-respected organization. The fellowship, I can assure you, is not a scam and probably well worth the effort of entering if you want to take the time and effort (but it's not easy-the above poster is right!). The only drawback is that the fellowship is EXTREMELY competitve. Also, as with most "literary" organizations, their bias is toward literary rather than, say, genre writing. In other words, if you're an MFA graduate and love writing in the tradition of Virginia Woolf, you might have a fair shot-otherwise, probably not.

Do you really think that only literary authors have a shot at this award? I am and sent in a sample of my children's story and think it's a great example of my quality of work, but it's definitely not literary. I didn't see anything in their site proclaiming them to be straight up literary supporters. One of them has a MFA, I know I saw that mentioned. I really hope that they are open to new writers who might not have degrees in Fine Arts.

But...winning this competition is an excellent credential and can only be a plus for anyone's writing career.

That is definitely a plus to giving the application all you've got. I know I did and it was not easy writing the essays which I hope are persuasive enough that they will take a chance on me. Part of me thinks because they awarded the sculpter the grant that maybe people like me do have a chance. Am I deluding myself or do you think that they might give unknowns a chance?

As for many claiming they have not heard of the past recipients...keep in mind that most who enter this competition, like the biggest majority of us, are struggling writers trying to get established. You probably will not have heard of most of these people-yet-because as we all know it takes time to establish a writing career and a literary reputation. There would be little reason or incentive for an established "name" writer to enter a competition like this, so therefore the emphasis on having heard of the past winners doesn't seem to me a strong logic on which to base the merit of the competition. Most of these women are just getting their careers established.

I think you're right about the reason that they've not broken out into the writing world in ways that we can easily look them up online and see the fruits of their labor. Thank you for posting blackbird, I hope you don't mind sharing your take on this organization with me on the above issues, I really appreciate what you posted too. I just knew that they were legit and that I wouldn't find negative posts about them because they host the retreat. I would love to go to one, but I doubt I can-unless I won of course, then I would make it happen no matter what.

;)

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the woman awarded the grant yet? They haven't posted it on the website yet and I am just anxious to see who was given the Gift of Freedom. ;)

ETA: A women writer named Summer Wood won the grant. Congratulations to her and the four finalists. :)

Last edited: