Registered
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great map! :D

Of course, now I'm looking at Namibia and remembering that one (very nice, otherwise) lodge that claimed it had internet, but their internet was so slow it took ten minutes just load your inbox, never mind crow-barring open one of your messages...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My nephew is working on that, jjdebenetictis. He's with a Google team which is attempting to position cost-effective satellites (think super weather balloon) for signal bounce over places which do not have internet, mainly Africa and parts of South America, where the governments so far have not sought to stop them.

Maryn, who knows some smart people, but it doesn't rub off

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great picture.

It's also causing massive problems for members on dialup

They can't even open the thread.

I'm getting a little tired of repeatedly asking the same members to not post images that exceed our reasonable and very clear guidelines.

If a visually disables person relying on voice software (me) can do it, so can you.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
My nephew is working on that, jjdebenetictis. He's with a Google team which is attempting to position cost-effective satellites (think super weather balloon) for signal bounce over places which do not have internet, mainly Africa and parts of South America, where the governments so far have not sought to stop them.

Very cool! :D

Of course, there's something to be said for just leaving your email the &*#!! alone when you're on a safari in the middle of a bazillion miles of desert and occasional ostriches.

The locals would appreciate getting properly connected, though, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's mostly not allowed to discuss what they're doing, but my impression is that it's for the locals. Tourists, of course, need to master the art of the disconnect. Although I remember Mr. Maryn's complaint that when he vacationed, nobody stepped in and did any of his work, so he'd just have an additional week of emails needing attention, on top of everything else, on his return unless he dealt with them from our hotel. (Luckily his insomnia meant he usually dealt with them while I slept.)

When we travel by car, I'm still shocked at the vast areas where I cannot get a cell signal. I presume if the area is pretty much uninhabited, there's no internet, either.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
There are plenty of places within 100 miles of the town I live in that have no cellphone service.

I'm 50 miles from the 2nd largest city in Oklahoma, and live in a town of 30,000.

That has huge ramifications for poverty and healthcare, not just emails on vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.