Multiple POVs and Sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eluveitie

Registered
Reaction score
In the first story I wrote, there were four main POVs: the male protagonist, the female protagonist, a male antagonist, and a female character who didn't play as large a role in the story as the others. The male protagonist had the majority of the screen time, followed by the female protagonist, followed by the antagonist, and finally the female side character, who dies at the end.

Now, I'm working on the sequel. The male antagonist has returned as a sort of antihero, and he has about 30% of the word count. The male protagonist has around 20% of the word count. The female protagonist has 40%, and the remaining 10% is told from the POVs of minor characters. Each POV is exciting, but I'm a little worried that this sudden shift in focus to the female protagonist and male antihero will alienate readers, who were used to following the male protagonist's adventures during the first book.

Have you ever written a story told from multiple POVs? How have you dealt with your favoritism toward characters?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you've done your job as a writer, readers will want to read about all your characters.

I've done a bit of this with one of my series. I've kept giving POV time to the three primary POV characters from the first book, but I've changed how much time each character gets and worked in other important POV characters as needed for the story.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever written a story told from multiple POVs? How have you dealt with your favoritism toward characters?

How is shifting the story from one character to the other considered favoritism? The first book was (primarily) the male protagonist's. The sequel is not. Give each character as many words as the story needs.

I think it would be a bigger mistake to make this a story about the male protagonist only because that's how you did it in the first book. It's clearly not how you want to handle the sequel, so -that- would be favoritism, IMO.

However, there might be mitigating circumstances. What kind of reader feedback have you received from the first book? Is it overwhelmingly more positive for the male protagonist? Do you get the sense that your readers didn't much like the other characters? And, most importantly, are you writing more to please your readers or yourself? All things to keep in mind.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I agree with mythmonger. If the sequel is more someone else's story, then so be it. Other books do this as well, you're not alone. I'm working on book four of a series, and each one is from a different POV, even a different generation, though characters from the prior book are in each subsequent book.

Status
Not open for further replies.