Question about FlexJobs Skills Test Creative Nonfiction

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm exploring a variety of options to get some work coming in. I should probably write about this in the Overcoming Challenges forum, but I notice that one of my issues is that I lack confidence.

So, I decided to make use of the skills tests on FlexJobs to get a little feedback about my skills. I focus on nonfiction because ideas come to me readily; my fiction resources are in their infancy. So I took the creative nonfiction test. These tests really just demonstrate your familiarity with and general knowledge of an industry; they are 40-question multiple choices tests, and you have 40 minutes to complete them.

The creative nonfiction test was at least 50% about screenwriting. I know very little about screenwriting. I co-wrote a stage play a few years ago but have never even educated myself about screenwriting. I'm a book person. I hate to think what would happen to my ability to enjoy movies if I got into screenwriting.

Why would a creative nonfiction skills test focus so much attention on screenwriting and focus very little on feature and book writing?

Best regards,
Marilyn

FYI: I think book writing is different from book publishing. I have little self-criticism about my performance on the book publishing skills test.

tommyb

Banned
Reaction score
comfortably between a rock and a hard place
"Why would a creative nonfiction skills test focus so much attention on screenwriting and focus very little on feature and book writing?"
What I have seen in creative writing courses is that screenwriting is a part of it. I just figure creative writing courses are supposed to introduce you to various forms of writing. In order to get into most 'higher' creative writing classes, you need to submit a variety of works, including a screenplay.
Why not try the fiction creative writing test and see if screenplays are part of it.
My ultimate guess is that the screenplay part separates the users somewhat. Screen writing is important to learn if you really want to work in freelance and be able to take on more jobs. Screenwriting is used in almost all advertising- tv, radio, pandora, whatever. Just as there is always someone looking for a program written in Basic, there are always people looking to have a small amount of screenwriting done, or cleaned up.