AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Trying to Help the Writers of Comedy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mark Sanders's Avatar

Trying to Help the Writers of Comedy

There is always a problem when writing and presenting political humor, because you automatically lose about 50 percent of your liberal and conservative mixed readers or listeners. Conservatives, sometimes may laugh at themselves, while I find that liberals may never laugh, until the butt of the joke is against conservatives. I find that the truth is always funny; as a comedy writer with a sense of humor, I try to show the flaws in political idealogy, when delivering my perspective on issues of the day. It is a mix of humor that can cost one an audience that doesn't understand what is really being stated at a particular time. It is a difficult part in the learning of how to be funny, in certain situations. Playing boths sides of the political spectrum is necessary to ensure one's humor is available for all, when on the topic of politics. I have written some political satire in my book, and in my daily Blog. Thank You,

Mark Sanders

permaflounced
    Is this a public service announcement?

I cannot agree with your assertion about the conditions under which I laugh. This makes me pretty sure I won't find your humor humorous. Far more than other genres, comedy is intensely individual.

Maryn, tough audience
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

I think you need to use your own voice to do political humour. Writing for an audience with views and ideas you don't believe in is always going to be tricky. Like a Christian trying to host a Jewish ceremony, you'll get found out as a fake because you don't really believe.