Elizabeth Bathory as a middle aged Silicon Valley billionaire

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/08/peter-thiel-wants-to-inject-himself-with-young-peoples-blood
Trump delegate and Gawker bankrupter Peter Thiel is no stranger to the idea of increasing his lifespan through science. “I stand against confiscatory taxes, totalitarian collectives, and the ideology of the inevitability of the death of every individual,” he wrote in libertarian journal Cato Unbound seven years ago. On Bloomberg TV in 2014, Thiel explained that he was taking human-growth hormone pills as part of his plan to live 120 years. “It helps maintain muscle mass, so you’re much less likely to get bone injuries, arthritis,” he said.

Given Thiel’s obsession with warding off death, it comes as no surprise that the Silicon Valley billionaire is interested in at least one radical way of doing it: injecting himself with a young person’s blood. On Monday, Jeff Bercovici of Inc. magazine published part of a year-old interview with Thiel, in which the venture-capitalist explains that he’s interested in parabiosis, which includes the practice of getting transfusions of blood from a younger person, as a means of improving health and potentially reversing aging. “I'm looking into parabiosis stuff, which I think is really interesting. This is where they did the young blood into older mice and they found that had a massive rejuvenating effect,” he said. “And so that’s . . . that is one that . . . again, it’s one of these very odd things where people had done these studies in the 1950s and then it got dropped altogether. I think there are a lot of these things that have been strangely under-explored.”

This is very creepy.

Very, very creepy.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
He's very much a vampire, isn't he?

In any case, I think a YA author could have a lot of fun with this idea. Dystopian settings are still in, right? :)

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I kind of figured I was going to live to 120 without really trying. Longevity runs in my family. My great-grandmother lived to 92, and my grandmother is almost there and still active. Granted we don't have any males with that track record, but there aren't any in that bloodline that have reached that age yet. With advances in medicine, I figure when I reach that age in more than 50 years, they'll have a way to add on a decade or two more.

Injecting with young people's blood triggers our creepy response, especially coming from someone who seems to believe the poor should be left to rot if they aren't any use to the rich, but it isn't that wrong, considering people's bodies can make more blood. Presumably it could be sustainable for every old person, rich or poor, to get a little bit of young blood. Whether the idea works or not is another question. It sounds a lot like magical thinking.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Total creep and ick factor aside. What's to stop him from dying an accidental death?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I kind of figured I was going to live to 120 without really trying. Longevity runs in my family. My great-grandmother lived to 92, and my grandmother is almost there and still active. Granted we don't have any males with that track record, but there aren't any in that bloodline that have reached that age yet. With advances in medicine, I figure when I reach that age in more than 50 years, they'll have a way to add on a decade or two more.

Injecting with young people's blood triggers our creepy response, especially coming from someone who seems to believe the poor should be left to rot if they aren't any use to the rich, but it isn't that wrong, considering people's bodies can make more blood. Presumably it could be sustainable for every old person, rich or poor, to get a little bit of young blood. Whether the idea works or not is another question. It sounds a lot like magical thinking.

The reason I mentioned Elizabeth Bathory is that what Thiel wants to do is exactly what Bathory did. Except she kidnapped people, killed them, and bathed in their blood to preserve her youth. You can be assured that if this is accepted, you'll soon see EULAs circulated to poor people where they get paid for their blood, and in entering into that contract they cease to be the owners of their own blood (to preserve its vibrancy and health). They'll be coerced to certain lifestyle choices, and their 'donations' will be rigidly scheduled. Before long, their only worth is going to be their biological viability.

I have lots of creepy as hell fiction ideas about this.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
On the creepyness front, we do a lot of things to people in order to control/eliminate various physical issues. Many of them can seem pretty creepy, if viewed through the right lens. Consider bone marrow transplants or even organ transplants. Imagine going back in time and explaining/advocating for such procedures to people in, say, the time of the Roman Empire.

"The Emperor is close to death, but I can save him if I cut out a piece of Fred's insides and plant it in the Emperor. Then he'll keep living."

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned Elizabeth Bathory is that what Thiel wants to do is exactly what Bathory did. Except she kidnapped people, killed them, and bathed in their blood to preserve her youth. You can be assured that if this is accepted, you'll soon see EULAs circulated to poor people where they get paid for their blood, and in entering into that contract they seize to be the owners of their own blood (to preserve its vibrancy and health). They'll be coerced to certain lifestyle choices, and their 'donations' will be rigidly scheduled. Before long, their only worth is going to be their biological viability.

Hmmm.... not saying I agree with any of what this nutcase is doing or in exploiting the poor, but my writer brain started turning....

So, if only the poor would see much benefit to selling their blood, and it's imperative that they live healthy lifestyles. Would it, then, stand to reason that the wealthy would have a vested interest in ensuring healthy lifestyles for the disadvantaged? Would a system like this also support a more robust system of making sure the disadvantaged populations received proper nutrition, shelter, and healthcare?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Slavery requires healthy, well-fed humans to do the back-breaking work. It is economically more rational to keep slaves in a clean environment with lots of food. That didn't happen much at any time and in any place where slaves were kept. I doubt that in a future of contract bondage for biological harvesting that a EULA would stipulate anything else than avoidance of certain things. It certainly wouldn't mean that the buyers of the biological matters would suddenly embrace altruism. It would be like today's EULAs. You give up everything to the company you get a service from, and they have to provide the absolute minimum in order to fulfill that service. They get everything, you get very very little.

Welcome to the right-libertarian hell where the letter of contracts mean everything, and limitations on contracts is a coercive and intolerable state-intrusion.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Before embryonic stem cells became a household word, I remember a rash of SF stories about rich people cloning themselves and raising their "clone twins" as children, but with the intent of harvesting their organs eventually. And the kicker was the clones had no civil rights, because the law didn't recognize them as distinct humans, because personhood was designated as being the initial owner of a genome.

But speaking of embryonic stem cells, some still think those are a creepy idea, though that might be because most people imagine the "frozen embryos" being used as looking like the tiny, half-formed "babies" we see on pro life posters, not this.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
On the creepyness front, we do a lot of things to people in order to control/eliminate various physical issues. Many of them can seem pretty creepy, if viewed through the right lens. Consider bone marrow transplants or even organ transplants. Imagine going back in time and explaining/advocating for such procedures to people in, say, the time of the Roman Empire.

"The Emperor is close to death, but I can save him if I cut out a piece of Fred's insides and plant it in the Emperor. Then he'll keep living."

Yes, and besides kidneys and pieces of liver that people can survive without, we also harvest essential organs from people who are already dead. And sometimes it does get creepy and bad people make people dead in order to get at those organs, but that doesn't mean the idea of heart transplants is wrong as a whole.