Millenials having less sex than the generations before them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just meant it as an example, and I was just thinking of the bookkeeping people in the accounts team at work.

People always seem to reference accountants as examples of boring, monotonous, obsessed-with-details, bone-picking types. I have no idea why.

:greenie

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT - as a further example, I suppose I also just mean a degree in anything being a minimum standard for a job. Of course there are jobs that need degrees. But most, when you really drill down, don't (or shouldn't).
Truth be told (and I'm pretty sure I've posted this sentiment before) I've gained more practical knowledge "on the job" and from mentors during my employment than from college classes. But, at least in the field of accounting, those college courses were a necessary first phase. They were also very broad, so they gave me some general knowledge I might not have had or have been able to draw upon if I'd been trained strictly on-the-job, only being exposed to whatever particular jobs came my way.

In short, I think both education and on the job training are important in many fields, though I can't speak for any other field in particular.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Eh, perhaps your insights on British propaganda leading up to and during World War I and maybe later how the tropes and images of that propaganda continued on into World War 2 and beyond.

Do you have a particular year in which you'd like me to start? Sometime before the Hun raping nuns and rendering corpses into soap, I presume. Before Kitchener's "For King and Country" too (I used Kitchener in a story, once, and had to research him pretty thoroughly). Maybe at the death of Queen Victoria? Is that convenient for you? Perhaps earlier? With The Battle of Dorking, perhaps? In case you haven't read it (I have, and mentioned it in a published essay on military science fiction), that was a British novel in which Britain is invaded by a technologically-advanced, militaristic, unnamed (but German speaking) "Enemy," that subjugates England and breaks up the Empire. That was followed by other invasion novels -- I'll look them up if you're interested -- and newspaper accounts claiming that Germans were non-whites who were flooding England with spies, burglars, and murderers.

Are you interested in the history of Free Trade v. Protectionism in the late 19th century? That fits in with the history of anti-German propaganda in the UK. The UK supported Free Trade, while both Germany and the USA were Protectionist. In the USA we saw a lot of anti-British propaganda, as top-hatted John Bull tried to starve American workers. The UK passed a trademark bill that required items made in Germany be marked as to their origin, so the public could refuse to buy them. More on all of this later, if you're still interested in finding out about British propaganda.

While I'm doing that, maybe you can explain why it is that learning how to tell if a man is talking rot is a bad thing?

I will inform you that many, if not most, of those upper class twits did not apply themselves and work hard and intelligently, and in consequence did not receive an education. I will further inform you that many Canadians and Newfoundlanders apparently didn't get much of an education either, since they themselves seemed unable to tell when someone was talking rot.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to the conversation about millenials having less sex than previous generations? I seem to have lost my way.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Quick! Everybody hump the thread title and get this thing back on course.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not qualified, I'm too old. Plus, I'm an accountant. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.