Importance of Photos in Social Media Presence

TylerXavier

Born in Rejections; Molded by Them
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to create more of a social media presence, and outside of not having publication credits, my biggest obstacle is how to get/take decent pictures of myself. It seems like a lot of people's platforms involve having pictures of themselves, or at least one good profile picture, and I'm just not comfortable taking pictures of myself. I don't photograph well, and not to be self-deprecating, but I'm not exactly easy on the eyes, either. Not whining, I just know that about myself.

So, does anybody have advice on how to take a good profile picture or know what the expectations are for having pictures available? I want to get profiles set up, but I can't really do that without good pictures, and good pictures are incredibly difficult for me.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
One of my friends was a professional photographer and still takes a lot of photos. My profile here on AW is such a photo. You can see it in the upper left-hand corner of this post.

But really why do you need a photo of yourself on your sites? Few readers care how we writers look, might even be turned off by our semblance. If you still want a picture, hire a pro photographer whose sample photos on their web site shows they are good at taking flattering images. Maybe not turning you into a raving beauty, but capturing some of your personality which would be more useful at getting people to sample the opening chapters of your book on your site or on your Amazon Author Page.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There is also the option of not using a self-portrait or using another format. I rarely use one, but when I do it is a self-portrait in oil pastel.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party, but...

You really don't need a photo, plenty people don't have one too. You can go with veinglory's suggestion or I've seen people use charactertures as well.

If you do want a photo, get it professionally taken by someone who specializes in portraits. Talk to them about you're concerns. They will make commendations about colors, lighting, etc.

elizabeth13

Registered
Reaction score
I have several friends whose careers require social media presence, and one trick they sometimes use is a photo of themselves from far enough away that you can't tell if it's a bad picture. Others use pictures of items with personal significance (one friend who is a music blogger has her headphones on top of a gramophone) or their pets.