Artistic multimedia help for a non-artist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I don't hang around here much because I'm not artistically minded. I do occasional craftwork, but nothing resembling fine art. I'm learning to do botanical sketches, which are fun but just for me.

I'm here to ask for a bit of guidance on how to proceed with a project I thought of this morning, which is beyond my scope of knowledge and skill. Sorry if this isn't a place to ask for help like this - I don't know where else to turn. Perhaps someone can just supply a couple of links to me that will get me started?

I texted my daughter, who has an MFA, but she's now working on an MA in English as well as teaching and her time is very limited. I hope to discuss this with her a bit but can't expect any concrete help.

Project idea is this: there is a place that's very special to my family. It's a small island with limited access and sparse population. What I'd like to do is make a multimedia, mmm, not sure of the correct term - display? object? - probably on wood, which would be an outline of the island filled in with actual materials from the island. So where there are pine trees, I'd have bits of pine needles showing that area. For the meadow I'd have bits of flowers and grasses. For the beach I'd have sand ... etc.

I thought of this while looking at my mosaic glass tiles, which I had bought with the idea of making a mosaic portrait of the island. I think a multimedia project would be more illustrative and fun - but I don't know how to do this.

I'd appreciate any kind of guidance or links to outside info. Perhaps I should just look for YouTube videos? Maybe I should have done that before posting here. ???

This would be for me and my family only. I'm thinking about 2 feet wide (the island is roughly oval shaped). I'm going to the island this week and am thinking of just gathering material for later.

Thank you for any help.

gtbun

Professional Book Designer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffreybunting.co.uk
I think this could prove a simple project even for someone not artistically minded.

Look out in your local area for any wood-worked or hardware shops. They will be able to put together a simple wood base for you, and even create the whole base for you - from your description I envisage an oval of wood which then has a bunch of "egg-shaped" divots in which you can place materials, a stone, some island grass or sand, etc - then it's just a case of deciding how you want to present it - i.e., do you want to put something over the sections to keep the materials in?

If you're keen on doing it yourself you could just get a thin but good-looking wood, and roughly cut out your shape with a jigsaw. Give it a bit of a sand or buff, and then work away at it with some wood carving tools.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm back from vacation where I was going to gather materials for the project - but soon realized to make a good representation of the island I'd need to visit at different times of the year to collect flowers etc.

I think I'm going to go back to my original plan - make a glass mosaic of the island. Simpler but still illustrative of the coloring of the vegetation and beaches etc. Something I might actually get done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.